Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Then either use the sbb.ch website listed in the first post in this thread or...
    I may be hopping in and duplicating info that's already in here, but I used the SBB mobile app (as opposed to the website) and highly recommend it.

How:

0) Pack light: pack the basics in a 40L backpack including an outer layer of goretex, shell and pants or bibs, 5 sets undies, 5 sets socks, 2 sets long underwear, 2 goggles, 3 sets gloves, transceiver, shovel and probe. Rollerbag is key in Switzerland, makes the trains a lot easier. Do not overpack. I bring 1 pair of middle to fat skis with touring bindings and go minimal. Be prepared to have the airlines lose your checked bag so you can ski during the few days they may take to get your stuff to you. Skis are easy to rent there. Take 1 pair of light packable shoes to wear, they're nice to pack along and wear at the end of the day riding the train or taxi back to mtn_lodge. Bring water bottles and the usual bc/sidecountry equipment. Bring an electrical outlet adapter to support your cell phone charger, outlets are different in Europe. A cell phone is absolutely indispensible

1) Buy a rt airfare on a euro carrier, much better experience. Avoid air canada, iceland air, united or super deals at 20% less than other fares. Air France, British Air or Lufthansa are all worth the extra $50-100. Be sure to include 1 checked bag, your roller ski bag, in your ticket. Carry on your boots and 40L.

2) Unless you know what driving entails, buy a train ticket here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml. Driving is much more expensive in Yurp and may be worth the flexibility if you absolutely have to have that. Plus, a train is less environmentally damaging. Swiss trains are fantastic. Consider a half price card which will get you half price on train : https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ravelcard.html .

On landing, pass through customs, collect your skis and head down to the trains below the station in ZRH and GVA. Buy a ticket, it's just so ridiculously easy, like nothing in N. America.

3) mtn_lodge is in Rueras, Switzerland, a small stop "by request" village on the East side of the Oberalp Pass. Just walk about 500 feet down the path and streets from the tiny station to the main street. mtn_lodge is easy to spot. Virtually everything for bed, food and drink is taken care of there as well as endless information and a wonderful vibe.

4) Lift tickets are either by half price as above or prepurchase at https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis You will want to include the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn on your ticket. You will be shocked at how cheap they are.
    Cell service is important to be able to find others, let them find you or hail a taxi from some sidecountry line.

5) On returning home, you can ski your last day and take a train to your return airport. At ZRH, Moevenpick is about $120/night and has an airport shuttle. It's also worth to take a day in Luzern which is about an hour+ to ZRH, so one could stay there instead of ZRH area.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>> Contact @alias_rice for further details.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-03-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>> Contact @alias_rice for further details.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LOL

British Airways

It's the last sentence that got me. Which mag ruined it for everyone!?

If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot bag can be carried as hand baggage if it's within the correct dimensions. If it doesn't, it must be checked in and will count as an extra checked bag.

For safety reasons you can’t board the aircraft wearing ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    LOL
    Am I missing an inside joke?

I'm booked with non refundable plane tix and lodging, woot woot!

*I did add travel insurance, because an injury is the only thing stopping this
    Last edited by k2skier112; 11-04-2022 at 01:39 PM.

That's the spirit. Let's hope fir another 20/21 and not a 21/22 season.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Am I missing an inside joke?

I'm booked with non refundable plane tix and lodging, woot woot!

*I did add travel insurance, because an injury is the only thing stopping this
    Excellent dude, welcome aboard, you're gonna dig it.

Alias_Rice is

Name:  Alias_rice.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  7.6 KB
    Dear Leader.

I'm still hopeful, but still can't commit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Alias_Rice is

Name:  Alias_rice.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  7.6 KB
    Dear Leader.
    Do I get 10% off the proceeds?

Likely not, but look at the really cool toque you get to wear

Hmm shit, somehow just saw this now.

I was originally planning on a Lyngen Alps venture, but this is making me think twice.

Buster, clean out yer box.

Posting to follow. I wanted to make last year happen, but it didn't. This year definitely cannot make it work. Love this thread. Someday, hopefully while you kooks are still gathering.

Also following this thread, had to cancel last year on account of marriage falling apart, and this year I probably can't swing it financially. Love the stoke though, and if by some miracle I can pull it off I would be thrilled.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Since this will be my first time in the Alps I went hudge, staying in Kitzbuhel for 4 days (free skiing on IKON) before Sedrun

Anyone use a hard ski bag? Soft seemed to make more sense to me
    I've always drove to my ski destinations, I over pack, this will be a new adventure...

Footwear, I've always traveled with my Sorels, are they necessary, or just a waterproof high-top hiking boot good enough?

Touring set up? I know the consensus is it's not needed, but would it come in handy?
    I was looking at this for a starter package
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packa...oots-2022-.jpg
    or

Will the SwissPass working departing Kitzbuhel to Sedrun? (I was going to email them, nothing in FAQ)

Anyone use a hard ski bag?
    Like a ski tube?

Total pain in the ass to load or access contents, difficult to jam into vehicles.

Often not put back together properly or at all after being opened by TSA/customs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Anyone use a hard ski bag? Soft seemed to make more sense to me.
    I used a soft DPS roller bag. No damage to skis yet.
    I've always drove to my ski destinations, I over pack, this will be a new adventure...
    I really advise going light, as light as you can.

Footwear, I've always traveled with my Sorels, are they necessary, or just a waterproof high-top hiking boot good enough?
    Sorels will be overkill, most villages are well plowed. I just bring some waterproof low cut Merrills that I can carry in my 40L pack.

If the snow is deep, I'm in my ski boots.

Touring set up? I know the consensus is it's not needed, but would it come in handy?
    I was looking at this for a starter package
    or
    Not necessary, but could be nice if vendul wants to go for a tour. A bunch of us needed touring gear the first year when we did the Oberalpstock.
    Will the SwissPass working departing Kitzbuhel to Sedrun? (I was going to email them, nothing in FAQ)
    Looks like it is if you buy your Kitz trip through sbb:
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...battkarte.html
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 11-06-2022 at 03:16 PM.

My first trip over last year and I opted to not haul skis and just rent.

The majority of shops will be able to rent you a nice touring set up if you choose and a few have sweet freeride skis.
    Rentals are cheap too, like 45 bucks the first day, then 37, then 25. I think my four day rental totaled about $125 for brand new volkl m6's with a new marker pt16. Pretty rad set up.

With low snow last year, having my skis wasn't essential.
    I plan to haul some this year if snowy but would rent again too, no problem.

Days on the hill and evenings in the Bar make for not needing much outdoor casual wear.

^ I was thinking of renting to check out a touring setup if I don't buy 1

Thanks Buster

I'm going in early March, first to Engelberg then Vendul's joint. Current plan is to bring Elan Ripstick 106 mounted with Shift. At about 2750 gms it isn't horribly heavy for its intended use--resort touring/sidecountry.

Seems like a solid choice. Touring around Andermatt disentis and the pass is first class. Snow wasn’t great last year but the stability was

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here: If you get the half price pass, you can only buy your ticket daily, one at a time. You can't say 'I want to ski for 4 days, here's my half off pass'.
    That said, it's still easy, efficient and inexpensive.

I'm learning that there are 2 types of half off approaches.

The half price cards for the trains, and the half price card offered by the ski arena mgmnt.
    Trains = SBB
    SkiArena = ASDM
    This is where I'm stuck and a little confused

I already registered @ SBB and SwissPass for train travel. Looking at a half-price pass for skiing, it shows the option for the MGBahn at $45; is this per day or for as long as your lift pass is good for?

I went in and started a purchase for a 5 day full price lift ticket and it says the the MGBahn is included. But does the half price pass negate that and you need to purchase the MGBahn separately when a 5 day pass is purchased using a half-price pass?

Having your train pass and lift ticket on 1 RFID card is awesome

I just buy the multi day pass at https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis . In the FAQ's you can see it includes the MGBahn.

To clarify, there are 2 different half price passes.
    1) The SBB half price pass does not provide half price lift tickets. See upthread where Charlie Don't Surf, who lives in Switzerland, specifies that.
    2) The andermatt-sedrun-disentis half price pass does not apply to the multi day passes, only single day passes as Djongo mentions just upthread. You can buy it online and add the day pass to your card.

I just buy the multi day pass at https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis . In the FAQ's you can see it includes the MGBahn.

To clarify, there are 2 different half price passes.
    1) The SBB half price pass does not provide half price lift tickets. See upthread where Charlie Don't Surf, who lives in Switzerland, specifies that.
    2) The andermatt-sedrun-disentis half price pass does not apply to the multi day passes, only single day passes as Djongo mentions just upthread. You can buy it online and add the day pass to your card.
    Thanks again. Yes I was referring to the ski pass only
    That's what I thought, just clarifying so I don't make it more expense trying to save a few bucks
    $253 (EU, US, CH, all about equal now) is so cheap anyway

Thanks again. Yes I was referring to the ski pass only
    That's what I thought, just clarifying so I don't make it more expense trying to save a few bucks
    $253 (EU, US, CH, all about equal now) is so cheap anyway
    This is the fine line that we all want to toe.
    It's a true challenge to figure out the best moves for any given person depending on their preferences.
    I had to unwrap and let the flow go, and I just followed it. Not my usual approach. Everything went amazingly smoothly

During the Holidays, one daily ticket at JH is $225 this year. Or $253 for 5 days in Andermatt, fucking no brainer there.

After some poking around, it looks like our dates are late enough, so the daily passes are 76chf every day, including weekends.
    So, even with the half price card, the multi day passes are very slightly cheaper.

It used to be more complicated with variable pricing going from 45chf on Mondays to 85chf on weekends. In that case, the half price card was a slightly better deal.

So, unless solving linear inequalities jollies you up, just stick with the multiday pass.

The skiing kicks ass regardless.