Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

EuroBBI2023 March 26-31 2023 https://www.mt-lodge.com/ Rueras, CH

Next spring, consider joining a chronic disorder proposed to be precipitated (mmm...) by a combination of genetic, biological/pharmacological and social factors at a nexus of freeriding and powder skiing in the Alps, the Andermatt-Disentis SkiArena.

https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/resiz...5a9f6b6@2x.jpg

https://www.bergfex.com/andermatt-oberalp-sedrun/

Our very own @vendul will be hosting as usual with deals and steals for the august consortium of miscreants, ne'er do wells and misfits who lust to ski big, steep lines across a complex of lift assisted offpiste routes unparalleled in North America. Enjoy Swiss precision with Italian warmth, food and charm athttps://www.mt-lodge.com/ . Our host usually organizes some killer side trips to other gigantic ski complexes within an easy days drive or train trip. There is a reservation link via https://www.mt-lodge.com/ .

The skiing is massive with 4900 vertical feet (1500 m) of unbounded skiing at Andermatt on the West end to almost 5600 vertical feet (1700m)of unbounded skiing at Disentis on the East end with sidecountry routes of over 8000 vertical feet. Between those bookends is 20 miles (32 km) of lift served skiing spanning 4 valleys. Quality includes everything from vertigo inducing couloirs to smooth groomers ending with historic hotel bars from 1722 or beautiful wood huttes along the pistes.

Access is simple and unlike anything in North America: land in either Geneva or Zurich and after customs, just walk downstairs to the train station, grab a ticket and be at your destination in 3+ hours on trains that have skiracks.

It's relatively inexpensive with flights from major North American hubs for about $750US and daily lift tickets less than $60US. Daily expenses can be kept to about $200 a day including, lodging, lifts and food. It's great to have cell access.

Disentis sidecountry :

Day trip to St. Moritz:

Tagged the Gemsstock tram:

A view of the 4900 vertical foot North face of the Gemsstock tram in Andermatt showing less than half of the tram served access.

Previous years threads with boatloads of applicable information and stoke:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-March-21-2019
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mtlodge-sedrun
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...UN-SWITZERLAND

How:

0) Pack light: pack the basics in a 40L backpack including an outer layer of goretex, shell and pants or bibs, 5 sets undies, 5 sets socks, 2 sets long underwear, 2 goggles, 3 sets gloves, transceiver, shovel and probe. Carry on your boots as well as this 40L backpack. For skis and extras, a rollerbag is key in Switzerland, makes the trains a lot easier. Do not overpack. I bring 1 pair of middle to fat skis with touring bindings and go minimal. Be prepared to have the airlines lose your checked bag so you can ski during the few days they may take to get your stuff to you. Skis are easy to rent there. Take 1 pair of light packable shoes to wear, they're nice to pack along and wear at the end of the day riding the train or taxi back to mtn_lodge. Bring water bottles and the usual bc/sidecountry equipment.
    Bring an electrical outlet adapter to support your cell phone charger, outlets are different in Europe. A cell phone is absolutely indispensible

1) Buy a rt airfare on a euro carrier, much better experience. Avoid air canada, iceland air, united or super deals at 20% less than other fares. Air France, British Air or Lufthansa are all worth the extra $50-100. Be sure to include 1 checked bag, your roller ski bag, in your ticket. Carry on your boots and 40L.

2) Unless you know what driving entails, buy a train ticket here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml. Driving is much more expensive in Yurp and may be worth the flexibility if you absolutely have to have that. Plus, a train is less environmentally damaging. Swiss trains are fantastic. Consider a half price card which will get you half price on train and lift tickets: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ravelcard.html .

On landing, pass through customs, collect your skis and head down to the trains below the station in ZRH and GVA. Buy a ticket, it's just so ridiculously easy, like nothing in N. America.

3) mtn_lodge is in Rueras, Switzerland, a small stop "by request" village on the East side of the Oberalp Pass. Just walk about 500 feet down the path and streets from the tiny station to the main street. mtn_lodge is easy to spot. Virtually everything for bed, food and drink is taken care of there as well as endless information and a wonderful vibe.

4) Lift tickets are either by half price as above or prepurchase at https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis You will want to include the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn on your ticket. You will be shocked at how cheap they are.
    Cell service is important to be able to find others, let them find you or hail a taxi from some sidecountry line.

5) On returning home, you can ski your last day and take a train to your return airport. At ZRH, Moevenpick is about $120/night and has an airport shuttle. It's also worth to take a day in Luzern which is about an hour+ to ZRH, so one could stay there instead of ZRH area.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>> Contact @alias_rice for further details.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 01-14-2023 at 10:18 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Is this the first torrential wave of epic pass holders?

If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be a year older when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be a year older when you do.
    Good point. I may drive down there this winter before the epic-shit ruins the region forever.

Euro BBI thread starts ... it means that the best time of the year is getting closer
    ... as far as "epic shit" is concerned, I'm very happy this is happening. I've lived a good portion of my life in North America and have now a business here in Switzerland... let me tell you this: I don't think I would move back to the US, but the guests we get from the other side of the pond are the best ever.... better said The percentage of pricks is far lower then most countries. Let 'em come!!!!

YEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we go now.

This time last year I had no idea I'd get to Europe for my first time.

It. Was. Awesome.

If you've never been, the BBI may be the best way to be introduced.
    The other day, a mag asked me what was my favorite part of that trip? I said, 'Honestly, the fact that the entire trip came off without a hitch.' (Even tho i got the C-19 upon departure.)

Flights? Cakewalk and not too pricey. Lodging? wait for it. Skiing? Fun and more than anyone can handle in a week. Environment? Stunning, comfortable and relaxing.

When pressed, I said the single thing making the trip great is the Lodging and the Hosts.

You couldn't be more comfortable. Michele and Serena make an excellent combination of Hosts and new Friends. First thing he did was loan me some skis. The Mt. Lodge is fresh, well-appointed and yet relaxed enough that there's zero pretension about anything.
    The Kuhl matsch bar is inviting, casual and the drinks flow freely. The local Brew is top notch. Hiya Alice!
    Breakfast was a treat, my first time enjoying the euro style brekkies. I was never hungry, and I'm a hippy speedball crack of dawn skier, unused to enjoying the treats, muffins, croissant, meats and cheeses, etc.
    And cafe, espressos, cappuccinos and the rest of the caffeinated options.

Dinners are a thing unto themselves. Between the top level service and the Chef prepared multi course meals, it was a highlight of the day. Didn't matter what was on the menu... you'd do yourself a favor to sit down with a drink, some mag friends and enjoy the meal.

The rooms are all appealing and comfy. The views in any direction are stunning and the building is quiet. Hell, the town is quiet.
    Except for the work alarm. Church bells at, like, 5 am. It's beautiful.

The train from the airport drops you about 1000 paces above the lodge. There's a paved way down that has switchbacks. The direct path down is about 400 paces but you better be good on the steeps. The walk up is short but grunty. Never seen a mag sweat so much from that ascent. The 3 layers weren't helping...

Also, the trains are waaaaay easier to manage than I expected. and gorgeous. The new trains were fresh and pleasant; the older Gotthard rail from Goschenen to Andermatt and into Sedrun is super cool and a world class ride over the Oberalp pass.

Just so much to talk about.

If you're looking for an adventure or trying to reset or unwind, either way, this trip is outstanding.

Hope to ski you mags over on the other side. I already have reservations and can't wait.

Great post, but this is so cool. I love this about some places in Yurp:
    "Dinners are a thing unto themselves. Between the top level service and the Chef prepared multi course meals, it was a highlight of the day. Didn't matter what was on the menu... you'd do yourself a favor to sit down with a drink, some mag friends and enjoy the meal."
    What could be better after a hard day of skiing and exploring the area?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

EuroBBI2023 March 26-31 2023 https://www.mt-lodge.com/ Rueras, CH

Doin some serious juggling and crunching to try and make it this year. Some life things are a changing for me making it more difficult than I was hoping. Going to play it by ear for now. My favorite ski trip by far. Plus I so miss the smiling faces faces of Michele and Serena, been to long my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 09-11-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Is it as simple as boarding a train at ZRH and getting off the same train at Mtn Lodge?

It would be great to have you all here! If there's anything we can do to make it happen, you know that all you have to do is ask!

Not that simple but almost. You need to change twice but platforms are literally next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Is it as simple as boarding a train at ZRH and getting off the same train at Mtn Lodge?
    start at zurich flughafen, end at rueras:
    https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html

There's a couple of changes, but they're easy. Bookmark that website, it has lots of information and you can buy tickets there.

I've been lucky enough to go on some dope trips -- I have never felt as comforted and stoked at the same time as I did at Mt Lodge.

Hope to be back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post

This was one of my biggest concerns, having never done it.

The trains leave from the below ground level of the airport. First stop is about 5 minutes away at the main train station, first change here.
    get off, look around for signage, go to proper platform.

2 routes around towards Rueras. I took the Goschenen route and didn't change again for over an hour.
    Easy rolling outta Zurich, enjoying the architecture, graffiti and countryside after leaving the city.
    Train switch in Goschenen involved walking 12 feet to the other track.
    Can't remember if I switched in Andermatt but it's a veritable cakewalk.

On to Sedrun and off the train. I had no idea what to do at this point, so I started walking and talking to another couple from the train.

They pointed me right and I was jawing with Mountainbikerboarder, Scottski63 and Raisingarizona13 within minutes on the front patio of the lodge.

It's amazingly simple. And those swiss train employees are serious about their gig. I had explanations forced upon me, when I knew already, was told I could not cross the track, and made to walk 1000 paces to go about 17 paces away.
    When my departure train was a few minutes slow, they made it up in one leg. The lady says yer good, relax. I get that sometimes...

Will there be a donation link for sponsorships this year?

Quote Originally Posted by B:llyB:lly View Post
    Will there be a donation link for sponsorships this year?
    Thanks for volunteering! Feel free to solicit skilarship donations like last year.
    Create a bank account, create a gofundme (it's super easy) and spread the love.

I got burned out organizing stuff last year, not really the skilarship, but another associated insulting debacle, so I'm taking off from leading up any of that stuff.

btw, is B:llyB:lly an alias for an oldtimer or a lurker coming out?

Personally I've been doing Andermatt\Italy trips for the last dozen years and across the years of face deep snow to rattly ice, the best times are always with this group of k00ks in Rueras.

I'm just here to donate to a worthy cause (ever since realizing The Human Fund isn't a real charity).

Besides I don't think anyone would be comfortable with a "low post count jong" collecting funds.

[QUOTE=Buster Highmen;6684568]Thanks for volunteering! Feel free to solicit skilarship donations like last year.
    Create a bank account, create a gofundme (it's super easy) and spread the love.

I got burned out organizing stuff last year, not really the skilarship, but another associated insulting debacle, so I'm taking off from leading up any of that stuff.

@buster you always did a great job, not only at organizing this but also bringing the right spirit to it. A couple of things didn't work out as planned and a couple of people didn't show up.. probably better this way...

vendul, it's you and Serena that make the whole deal. You guys bust your asses with all the love and good will.
    We don't get to patronize many hotels where the owners are there working and making such a great scene.

So, props to you.

Still too early to tell, but there is a less than zero chance I make it this year. Fingers crossed. This is bucket list shit for me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Then you gotta force the issue. Make it happen. I waited a long time and wish I hadn't now.
    It's a great way to learn the basics of euroski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 (2).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	426543
    On the train from Zurich to Andermatt...beer, wine, redbull.
    This is how you miss a connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21 (3).jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	426544
    Leader Alias_Rice, Mountainbikerboarder and ??? rolling in from the ski back from the Gemsstock tram.
    They turned until about that snow patch and walked the 500 paces to the lodge.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 09-15-2022 at 08:43 PM.

2 years ago andermatt was stacked. The direct entry lines to the bowl are fun.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

This looks awesome. Can't believe it, I think I'm in. Euro jong question here: how do you get the lift ticket site to work? For me all days across the whole winter are x'd out.

Also, are any of the room types better than others for sharing?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    This looks awesome. Can't believe it, I think I'm in. Euro jong question here: how do you get the lift ticket site to work? For me all days across the whole winter are x'd out.

Also, are any of the room types better than others for sharing?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Cool, we're going to have a great crew again.
    From what I remember, the website is a little weird where one has to add oneself to the process, then things seem to work.

>>>> (edit) Looks like they updated the site. The Gemsstock tram opens Oct 31, so they'll be getting it together.
    Advertised 5-day ticket is about $300 US.

Make your rooming objectives known to vendul, either by pm or email and he'll set you up in style.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-04-2022 at 10:57 PM.