Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blister Labs

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    First of all, thanks to all of you for the kind words. But uglymoney ... this is just amazing to hear: "No idea if he makes a go of it, but he is one kid who is super excited about the possibilities, and his life for once."

I'm on campus at Western every week working on various Blister Labs things. I'm not sure whether I've met your stepson yet (I've met most of the engineering students), but if he'd ever be interested in talking or just saying hi, please have him reach out and we'll be sure to meet up.
    This is rad.

And it takes me back to our wood labs in college where we'd get to break stuff. I couldn't muster the courage to bring an old bare of skis down and start testing the various flex points but I often dreamed of it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I just ordered a digital copy of the buyers guide. Would have ordered a physical copy as I prefer those but shipping to Canada is usually wild and I wanted it for my vaca this weekend, cannot wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    Thank you for the best reviews in the industry, hands down.
    This.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’ll just chime in that Blister reviews have informed pretty much every ski purchase I’ve made for the last 5 years.

Thanks for all you do.
    And also this.

I've made more mistakes trying to do it on my own than with them.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Blister Labs

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I just bought a Blister Membership ($89) cause I like reading their stuff. Plus I got a 1 time 20% off 4FRNT code from Blister. Bought Hojis for me, Rens for my son, new poles, a 4FRNT toque….saved about $400CDN on the order. Works for me.

Sounds like my wife coming home from shopping telling me how much money she saved me with her “smart shopping.”

All jokes aside, I think that’s probably reason enough to subscribe.

Labs looks cool. Looks like way more than reviews. Keep it up.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-15-2022 at 05:42 AM.

2022-2023 guide is out today......what time?!

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Sounds like my wife coming home from shopping telling me how much money she saved me with her “smart shopping.”

All jokes aside, I think that’s probably reason enough to subscribe.

Labs looks cool. Looks like way more than reviews. Keep it up.
    Gaijin….

I know you’re joking…and deep inside you’re super jealous of my gear buying. You want to bring your wife into our gear conversations? Stay on topic.

On topic. I download and listen to Gear30 and Blister when I drive to work. Better than talk radio.

I also love the info in Blister …eg with the membership you get the Deep Dive which is a great (quick) way to compare similar skis.

And in Blister reviews they tell you mount points. That is money for me. And some Blister testers even try skis at different (forward) mount points. And then they discuss those mount points. That is rare and so useful.

Well done Blister. Keep it up. And good luck selling those Barons Gaijin.

I also love the info in Blister …eg with the membership you get the Deep Dive which is a great (quick) way to compare similar skis.

And in Blister reviews they tell you mount points. That is money for me.

These are both invaluable. Honestly, the only way Blister could help me (one customer) more, is if they had a human on the roster who regularly DD'd the longest lengths of skis and could review those same skis. That said, I understand why there isn't a business case for this, and the fact that they often get reviewers on the longest lengths to provide feedback is very useful on its own, as I've read enough JE/LK/DK/DW reviews to understand their preferences. This info combined with mount/weight/flex and Deep Dive is super informative.
    On the other hand, if they did employ said human, I'd have a reason to slim down my personal demo fleet, which would be unacceptable.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 09-15-2022 at 11:10 AM.

I'd say I'd way way way rather pay for reviews that I know were not influenced by the manufacturer than get free infomercial reviews. Blister's reviews are actually informative, and I think the business model is honest and transparent in a very refreshing way. Now time to stop being a hypocrite and renew my subscription....

Gaijin….

I know you’re joking…and deep inside you’re super jealous of my gear buying. You want to bring your wife into our gear conversations? Stay on topic.

On topic. I download and listen to Gear30 and Blister when I drive to work. Better than talk radio.

And in Blister reviews they tell you mount points. That is money for me. And some Blister testers even try skis at different (forward) mount points. And then they discuss those mount points. That is rare and so useful.

Well done Blister. Keep it up. And good luck selling those Barons Gaijin.

Get a room my dudes.

I agree, the Gear 30 pod is great, + downright educational. The Blister pod is also excellent, in spite of monthly Alka appearances (jk, jk). JE has interviewing chops and hosts many big names from the industry. Name a better ski-centric pod cast--there isn't one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Is this the Blister membership anonymous meeting? Subscribed for a few years now, mostly because I'm a big fan of what they do, regularly listen to gear:30 and the Blister podcast, and the annual gear guide is pretty awesome and functions well on the coffee table. Blister's method of reviewing is fair, and while I couldn't care less about 90% of the skis reviewed each season, that's just more of a problem between me and most brands,and I do still read the reviews anyway,as they're good reading.

Especially looking forward to the binding shootout. Hope to see some Tyrolia freeflex bindings on there,but kind of have my doubts.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Member too. Very helpful. Great resource and good folks to support.

Still love tainty tgr reviews though

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I always wonder if the testers can ski worth a fuck. Like I love it when shitty skiers try and tell you about why one ski is better than another or how your favorite ski sucks but you know really it's them who suck.

How do we know your testers don't suck?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I always wonder if the testers can ski worth a fuck. ...
    Yes, it's safest to always assume ski reviewers suck by default. The ski industry earned their bad reputation. Blister was founded to react AGAINST all that.

I've skied 3-4 runs with Blister tester Luke Koppa in 2019. I observed firsthand that Luke doesn't suck at general skiing, on a 4FRNT MSP 107 ski, inbounds at Crested Butte. I can't vouch for him in wacky styles like Olympic Aerial Ski Jumping or Synchronized Powder 8 Championships---so if he starts making bold claims about wacky styles, then you should ask him if he sucks at that stuff.

I've never seen Blister tester Paul Forward ski. But Chugach Powder Guides hired him as a Lead Guide, so I doubt Paul sucks at skiing.
    https://www.chugachpowderguides.com/team/paul-forward

I've never seen their other testers ski. ( I don't count the joke videos of their first day telemarking, and messing around on snowblades for laughs, etc. )

...Like I love it when shitty skiers try and tell you about why one ski is better than another or how your favorite ski sucks but you know really it's them who suck...
    Blister doesn't really do things that way. They don't really write "SkiA is better than SkiB". Instead, it's more like "SkiA has better Metric1 and Metric2 than SkiB, but SkiB is better at Metric3 and Metric4."
    You can see what I mean at:
    https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...indbender-99ti

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I always wonder if the testers can ski worth a fuck. Like I love it when shitty skiers try and tell you about why one ski is better than another or how your favorite ski sucks but you know really it's them who suck.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

see that’s where my hate for ski essentials lies…. Those guys are essentially glorified gapers. They blow.

Blister Labs

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    see that’s where my hate for ski essentials lies…. Those guys are essentially glorified gapers. They blow.
    Yes. The lack of pole plants is painful.

But I’d simplify this entire conversation. I find it incredibly easy to know if a reviewer can ski. Their language is usually super easy to identify.

I don’t think I’ve ever been duped by a reviewer.

I could name a couple of reviewers on this board that let their indecisiveness discredit their view. Sometimes it makes me ask— “how could you not know that ski sucks?” It’s then, that their entire reputation is gone.

But I still like to hear them talk. They’re different than me. They like different things. They like poppy skis in tight culoirs. They’re dorks. They tell me what to avoid more than what to ride.

Skiing is a diverse sport. I like the dorks. I especially like the dorks I can tease and who tease me back for being a dork.

Also dig that they review small brands like shaggys, Norse, others. And post so much data. Vs some brands that market skis as back or sidecountry and don’t even post weights! (Wtf Peak Skis?)

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Also dig that they review small brands like shaggys, Norse, others. And post so much data. Vs some brands that market skis as back or sidecountry and don’t even post weights! (Wtf Peak Skis?)
    Yup. And they are happy to get on some niche skis. When my daughter was looking for a ski with some width and pop for taking with her to Utah the only place we found any real feedback on the ON3P Jessie was Blister.

Not many of those were made. There’s no money in reviewing them. But Blister had a bunch of info.

And if they are reviewing stuff by taking them off the ground lifts in CB, and they’re making real turns there, then I’m getting actual usable feedback. I do not give a shit how a ski works on a blue groomer in Vermont. I want to know what I’m gonna feel when I’m slightly out of control trying to rip the damn thing back around in mixed snow in Ballroom or something. And I’ve never found another group that tells me that.

I feel like no one else quite does what they do. So it’s pretty valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    ...I want to know what I’m gonna feel when I’m slightly out of control trying to rip the damn thing back around in mixed snow in Ballroom or something. And I’ve never found another group that tells me that...
    That reminds me. A couple days ago, I read Blister's free sample of premium Deep Dive content. I was caught by surprise when they kept reporting comparisons about which skis are more (or less) forgiving or punishing when you somehow find yourself in the backseat. When I test skis, I never execute the "backseat" test case deliberately for many ski models. An unexpected bonus from Blister testers.

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Like the reviews.

Curious about the lab and wonder if Pete w is involved at all.

Wonder how well they can ski after watching them pretend to try to tele ski.

I don't really rely on the reviews because I know what skis I like and I'm pretty content with them (last season was the first in a long time I didn't buy any new skis), but I appreciate what they do for sure. Also, as others have mentioned, the podcasts are great.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Get a room my dudes.

I agree, the Gear 30 pod is great, + downright educational. The Blister pod is also excellent, in spite of monthly Alka appearances (jk, jk). JE has interviewing chops and hosts many big names from the industry. Name a better ski-centric pod cast--there isn't one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    While I love gear:30 and the blister podcast, the storm skiing podcast is pretty damn excellent too.

OK, it has been fun, but I can let this thread die.

I accept that nobody here wants to discuss details about Blister Labs yet. Next I can try SkiTalk.com. Or I could just be patient until later when Blister Labs releases real results (instead of just potential so far).

Show us where Blister touched you. It's okay, this is a safe space.

I missed the memo about what blister labs does or is doing….