POV and 360 Cams

I've served as a part time amateur ski actor producing content for various things over the years.

I've used Rylo 360, Gopro OG - 10, various gimbals, etc. I've also been able to use or be filmed by a plethora of different drones over the last 5 years or so.

I'm going to be buying something this fall so I can fulfill my contract on content and get exotic socks and the like. I figured I'd start a thread and post as I see the new bits come out.. it's been a while since we've had one of these.

We'll see if it gets any traction as this sub forum doesn't get much run anymore.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

This new 360 cam looks interesting:

https://youtu.be/H8PLt4lG-tY
    Insta360 X3

https://www.insta360.com/mobile/product/insta360-x3

GoPro max 2 should be announced any day now too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

New Hero 11 and smaller form factor camera getting announced tomorrow.

https://gopro.com/en/us/info/hero11-black-teaser
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I'm excited about the 11. I have an 8, 9 and 10. I usually sell the old one to finance the newest version.

I've had 360 cameras and I can never get anything useable out of them. I know it's a me problem, cause I see good footage from them all the time, but I finally gave up on the process and sold my Max. I got the Max Mod for the 10 and that gives me a 180 view that's helpful a lot of the time.

I'm a big fan of the 9 + Max Mod combo. Horizon lock & hypersmooth are ridiculous!
    My only con is the 2.7K 4:3 footage has no dynamic edge stretching in camera. 16:9 footage is just a crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I'm excited about the 11. I have an 8, 9 and 10. I usually sell the old one to finance the newest version.

I've had 360 cameras and I can never get anything useable out of them. I know it's a me problem, cause I see good footage from them all the time, but I finally gave up on the process and sold my Max. I got the Max Mod for the 10 and that gives me a 180 view that's helpful a lot of the time.
    I had a Rylo that was OK but the app would crash. It looks like that new insta360 app is pretty slick. I dislike that insta is all vertical but the 360 cams let’s you choose in post which is nice.

I am surprised that the max 360 v2 isn’t coming out in this announcement.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 9 + Max Mod combo. Horizon lock & hypersmooth are ridiculous!
    My only con is the 2.7K 4:3 footage has no dynamic edge stretching in camera. 16:9 footage is just a crop.
    9 and 10 are different animals compared to their predecessors. Max mod makes the angle for skiing and biking easier.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

DJI and GoPro releasing cameras within an hour of each other is just... wow...

Here is a good comparison video.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    9 and 10 are different animals compared to their predecessors. Max mod makes the angle for skiing and biking easier.

I think I know the answer, but with the 11 can I shoot a Superview with horizon lock or is it just linear? If not, I don't see the reason to upgrade from a Hero 9 and Max Lens mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I think I know the answer, but with the 11 can I shoot a Superview with horizon lock or is it just linear? If not, I don't see the reason to upgrade from a Hero 9 and Max Lens mod.
    I think just the linear:
    https://community.gopro.com/s/articl...language=en_US
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

perspective of a videographer/editor here.

biggest upgrade to the new gopro is the ability to shoot 10 bit video at higher bitrates. with the labs firmware installed, you can push it to 180mbps. this is a godsend for doing any amount of color correction to your footage. snow is usually low contrast and really hard to maintain any detail in an 8 bit container without underexposing a lot.

also, the enduro batteries that launched last year make these cameras actually useable/reliable in the cold.