Clipless to Flat - Stiff Shoes?

TL;DR: I want a flat MTB shoe that is relatively stiff (like 5.10 Impact Pro) but not a totally wide, heavy boat (NOT like 5.10 Impact Pro)... what am I?

I spent some younger and dumber years riding MTB in flat pedals/shoes, happily oblivious to what boats 5.10 Impact Pro Mids were. For the last ~8 years I've been riding in 5.10 Kestrel Pros and SPDs. With a toddler, I'm now riding less for myself and spending more time messing around at the pump track, skills park, etc. and finding myself both less confident in the quick click-in on steep terrain when riding for myself and annoyed by clipless shoes when messing around with the kiddo. I'm thinking about reverting back to flats for a bit. Dumb idea? I've got the shin scars from the last time I converted to flats and hopefully this would be easier. Someone suggested an easier pedal format to click into instead but not sure that is valid.

If I go flat - I'm struggling with the shoe purchase. 5.10 Impact Pros are friggin' boats and the only other shoe I've been able to try on that seems to fit the bill is the Ride Concept Hellion Elite but it feels really longitudinally flexy. There's no stock of Specialized shoes locally... is 2FO worth a try or any other brands/shoes? The fit of Hellion Elite was decent and the stiffness of Impact Pro was good, is there a shoe that blends them both? I'm also wondering if I would notice the flex once riding but I'm a picky MFer when it comes to shoes.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Do you put your foot on flats so that the ball of your foot is more or less lined up with the spindle, or do you put the pedal more under your arch? I'd suggest you want pedals that are concave (i.e. Deity TMac, Tenet Occult) for ball of the foot types, and convex (i.e. OneUp) for center of foot. I personally am ball of the foot type, and like stiff flat shoes with concave pedals. I think convex would suit a less stiff shoe that folds over the pedal more.

The new Spec 2FO shoe rubber is very good, as sticky as the good Stealth rubber. I found both their Roost to be "stiff" and DH to be "very stiff", but didn't fit my foot like 5.10s do (Spec was narrower throughout). I'm now running the RC Tallacs which are almost as stiff as Impact Pros and a bit less sticky, but much lighter and more breathable. Fit of the Tallacs is similar, but maybe a hair narrower at the front.

I did the same conversion when riding with younger kids. Have you tried on a pair of 5.1 freeride pros? They are definately lighter/less bulky than impact pros.
    Last edited by rudy; 09-09-2022 at 10:12 AM.

^^ From expert thread(??) make sure NOT to buy the primeblue freedride pros, just the normal freeride pros. I run normal older freerides for this purpose and while I'm pretty picky about shoes for performance/clipped in, not nearly as much on flats. Even run the 5.10 Sleuth slip-on for pumptrack/dirt jumps regularly.

I use 5.10 freeride pros for pretty much all MTB riding, and for the pump track with the kids etc. I like em. 3rd pair in a row.
    I use SPD on the road, and longer hard tail friendly xc rides with a pearl Izumi MTB shoe.
    I like the freeride pros. I liked the regular freeride as well. Fwiw, I'm a spindle just behind the ball of the foot guy.
    sigless.

I use the 5.10 freeride when I ride flats, including most of my fart-around rides with kids, to the bike park or pump track, etc.

I thread the clipless pedals on when I'm heading out for rides over 2k of climbing or when I'm trying to keep up with fast people. It doesn't really take any longer to swap pedals than it does to lube the chain or check tire pressure. Just make sure you don't cross thread the crank arm.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Free ride pro here for everything

Thanks for feedback. Definitely more of a ball of foot on spindle or just ahead of spindle rider here (foot position similar to clipless). I can't process the idea of spindle/pedal under arch.

I'll try the Specialized shoes, Freerider Pro, maybe RC Tallac although I thought Hellion Elite was supposed to be stiffer.

I was running shimano Gr7 with flats. Stiff sole, light uppers, but good protection- might fit the bill. Not as sticky as impacts, but they worked well for me. Ended up popping the speedlace and havenÂ’t had a chance to repair yet since IÂ’m on a road trip.

Tangentially; I replaced them with Pearl Izumi X-alp launch, which had the best fit and ankle support of any shoe IÂ’ve ever run, but the soles were slick as shit and I literally roasted the uppers in 4 rides to where IÂ’m sending them in for warranty. Tears everywhere. Shame because they fit so much better than the laced skate shoes everywhere.

https://pearlizumi.ca/products/x-alp...d-wrx-15392101

Back to clipless since this trip has killed 2 pairs of flat shoes.

I switched back from clipless to flats this season. Was running approach shoes with my flat peddles when I picked up a real MTB a few years back so I needed something new and stiff.

I ended up in the RC Tallac because they fit my weird bone spur'd heel the best of all the shoes I tried. Haven't gotten as much riding in this summer as I'd like, but after ~200 miles and 10+ rides I'm a big fan. They stick super well on my old mediocre flats and I love the stiffness. Protect me well from rock strikes and seem to walk well from the little hike a bike I've had to do.

They may not be stiff enough for your needs though, but you should try them on if you can.

The Kestrel or Kestral lace from 5.10 is quite stiff, and I believe it comes with a plug over the cleat section. Or maybe they make a flat version of some kind.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Best MTB shoe ever. Breathability is great, comfortable but sticky 5/10 rubber on the sole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1662761746.754192.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	426026

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have the Trailcross, won't be buying another pair. They're light, breathable and stick well. They also have little protection and no resistance to water. The real problem for me is that they are so low volume I can't use a regular orthotic insole without my heel coming out. Never had that problem with another shoe. Without my good insoles there's very little support.

I'll wear them out because I'm cheap, but will move on to something else this fall.

Trailcross are anything but stiff.

Their fit is nothing like the usual 5.10... super low volume and narrow.

Trailcross certainly aren’t stiff but as my preferred shoe for riding in Utah. The breathablility is so awesome. They also dry really fast if they do get wet. I also have freerider pro, way stiffer but not as grippy due to stiffness. I tend to use them in the fall as it cools down.

Just to hear myself talk again:
    If you want a wide and stiff shoe, 5.10 Impact is for you. On model, only, ever. Not stiff in a “good enough for logging 1000 XC miles” kinda stiff. More like, stuff enough for DH so your feet don’t wear out before your hands.
    If you wish the 5.10 Impact is too wide, AND too stiff, the Freeride is for you. All 47 different variations. They’re all less wider, and all less stiffer.
    If you want something different than those two options., good luck finding a shop where you can try them on. They might be good.
    If your non bike show is working well, report back after 40-50 days of riding. I’m genuinely curious whether you still feel that way, and if you’ve tried a real mtb shoe.

However many are in a shit ton.

This version is more supportive and has a cuff. Interior has more ankle padding. But I like trail cross in UT. May be different for you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1662857174.606029.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	426087

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Has anyone run the 2FO Cliplite Boa (older version with toe strap) with flats? I have a pair (love them) but am less than impressed with their flat pedal performance. They seem like the rubber on the sole is just a touch too stiff to be super sticky on the pins (cheap Rockbros pedals). Anyone had better luck with different pedals? And are the new versions more sticky? Thanks!

Clipless to Flat - Stiff Shoes?

I really like my 2FO’s.

Does Specialized or anyone else make a good a winter boot?

Loved my Lake MXZ’s for SPD, but the soles are two hard for flats.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 09-11-2022 at 06:45 PM.

For anyone interested - I was able to get my hands on 2FO Roost in my size and waiting on Pearl Izumi Launch. So far, 2FO Roost seems to split the difference decently on shoes above. They feel stiffer both longitudinally and laterally (especially laterally) from Ride Concepts and definitely narrow/better fitting vs. 5.10 Impact Pro. That's likely my huckleberry unless PI crushes it.

2FO Roost rubber seems pretty sticky but less so than OG 5.10.

Good to hear. I rode my Impact Pros again for first time in several months after being on the Tallacs. They definitely feel like big, vague boats. Rubber feels stickier. The midsole had less damping but was stiffer. Heel hold was a lot worse. Putting the Tallacs back on felt like slipping into a pair of slippers (in terms of comfort and fit) in comparison.

I remember the Roosts being incredibly stiff for how they're marketed. They make them sound like a trail shoe (like Freerider Pros) but they were easily as stiff as the Impact Pros. I was kinda in between sizes (9.3 / 9.6 breakpoints) so didn't ride them for more than a couple rides though.

I'm in an old pair of pearl izumi x alps, but it looks like their new rubber is no bueno. Looks like the x alp canyon still has the old style?
    Here's some notes from pinkbike if it helps. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/11-fla...and-rated.html

Id definitely not recommend the regular freerides if you want something stiff. My feet get exhausted in mine after long-ish descents but I have zero issues on my giro chamber clip shoes with a stiffer sole. I’ve considered upgrading to pros but don’t ride flats enough to justify it yet. Just a heads up there from my experience
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably