Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    There is an informal system in place among the guide companies to pay to the local community collectives for 'permission' to use the trails (but the locals don't own them, it's a courtesy). This usually comes in the form of money being given directly to the local schools, and sometimes to the local health clinics. This is another reason why you go with guides down there, period.
    In 20 years of riding down there, I have only witnessed one negative incident. Just my experience, of course. We rarely see more than a few people at ALL until we are near towns.
    Lately the (individual) mountain bike communities near Lima and Cusco have started hiring Campesino laborers for trail building and maintenance, which is mutually beneficial. I forgot about this.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-16-2022 at 08:08 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

CE, i have done many, many thousands of feet of climbing to access the trails, that's how we did it forever before there were any shuttle/guide companies. But if I only have a week to ride at a time, I want the downhill goods, usually. But yes, that is always an option. That said, riding up 20% + grade trails at above 12,000 feet kind of sucks. And there would be a lot of hike-a-bike above 14k. You end up too spent to shred.
    That and generally you won't find the trails down without a guide.
    There is no 'infrastructure/trail access/signage', or even maps available, really.

Rideit, that sounds amazeballs. I doubt I'm a good enough rider to handle what you describe, though.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It is, Indeed, one of they finest and most unique cycling experiences left on this planet, and completely changed my life. There are plenty of non-crazy trails as well, I can hook people up with guides looking for less 'intense' riding as well. Just ask.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-16-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is an informal system in place among the guide companies to pay to the local community collectives for 'permission' to use the trails (but the locals don't own them, it's a courtesy). This usually comes in the form of money being given directly to the local schools, and sometimes to the local health clinics. This is another reason why you go with guides down there, period.
    In 20 years of riding down there, I have only witnessed one negative incident. Just my experience, of course. We rarely see more than a few people at ALL until we are near towns.
    Lately the (individual) mountain bike communities near Lima and Cusco have started hiring Campesino laborers for trail building and maintenance, which is mutually beneficial. I forgot about this.
    Glad to hear that the guides are making sure money goes to the indigenous communities. Accessing the jungle, even for scientific studies required tribute to the tribe that controlled the area, and Honestly I wanted to give them more. The jungle tribes are trying to fight off logging companies and road blocks can be pretty intense. I felt incredibly blessed to spend time with indigenous peoples in the jungle. Their generational connection and understanding of nature was magnificent to witness.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

To be clear, this is not happening everywhere, but is top of mind for the better guides. They don't want to 'kill the golden goose' either.
    On one trip, about 20 of us descended on a dusty pueblo, and the guides/clients called out for every kid to line up, and bought them all ice cream. For years we gave out pencils to every kid we could find.
    Token gestures, sure, but they helped.

I think I will migrate these posts into a 'riding in Peru' thread, i would love to hear other people's experiences. I'm sure they vary greatly. I run with a crowd that cares about this stuff, not everyone does.

Glad to hear there are less gnarly options for trips, adding to my bucket list.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bumping this back up. GF and I looking at Puerto/Sayulita in January. Looks like there are some trails. I will also contact the TSN/Ocean Sierra guys to see if anyone is in the area and willing to guide a few days.

You definitely want to go with them. Diego was my favorite. Mascots, San Sebastian de La Oeste, laBufa, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bumping this back up. GF and I looking at Puerto/Sayulita in January. Looks like there are some trails. I will also contact the TSN/Ocean Sierra guys to see if anyone is in the area and willing to guide a few days.
    I'll be in Sayulita the first week of January and I had no idea there were trails. Is there more than what is shown on trailforks?

Yes. I can put you in touch with the dude who built and developed almost everything near Sayulita (he owns Wild Mex). You can also rent decent Marin bikes. There is epic shuttle/DH scene about 2 hours east.

Yes. I can put you in touch with the dude who built and developed almost everything near Sayulita (he owns Wild Mex). You can also rent decent Marin bikes. There is epic shuttle/DH scene about 2 hours east.
    Shoot me his info please, or I can just message him direct on the WildMex instagram?

We will be staying in Sayulita/San Pacho middle of this January. Also plan to have a car/van and we are bringing our bikes. We want to check out Mascota too. Anyone maggots gonna be down there by chance? Looking to ride some gnar while the girlfriend hangs out at the pool.

So, the dudes name is Javier Chavez, and yes, I believe you can let them know you would like to chat with him. Tell him you know me from Trans Sierra, and that I live in JH and built a bunch of trail, he will know then.
    I’ll try and reach out for you as well.

So, the dudes name is Javier Chavez, and yes, I believe you can let them know you would like to chat with him. Tell him you know me from Trans Sierra, and that I live in JH and built a bunch of trail, he will know then.
    I’ll try and reach out for you as well.
    You ever hear from Javier? Gonna try reaching out on IG. The TSN guys never got back to me.

I don’t have his number, but try to get ahold of him through Wild Mex.

https://wildmex.com/en/contact/

I don’t have his number, but try to get ahold of him through Wild Mex.

https://wildmex.com/en/contact/
    Chatted with someone at WildMex on IG. They basically told me to do one of the stock tours on their website. I'm guessing this doesn't really include the gnarlier/locals type trails?

Ok, I’ll try and reach out somehow. They don’t know you from Adam, so who knows. Whomever you talked might very well not even ride, really.

Ok, I’ll try and reach out somehow. They don’t know you from Adam, so who knows. Whomever you talked might very well not even ride, really.
    Ok cool thanks. Found a nice spot to stay in Punta Mita so will be driving to wherever to ride.

My buddy has a condo in Puta Mita, where did you end up?

Just went to PUNTA de mita for thanksgiving
    Surfed and sup surfed everyday
    My wife took surf lessons from Alejandro at mita adventures
    Great guy and mt biker
    If he can’t guide you I am sure he can get you with some one
    He would just point to all the peaks around us and talk about all the trails every day
    https://mitaadventures.com/

My buddy has a condo in Puta Mita, where did you end up?
    A condo facing the beach, pool right out front, sweet private outdoor sitting area on the south side off El Anclote. Super close to Mita Aventuras. Probably should see if I can still surf after 12ish years since touching a board. Gonna hit up Alvy today too.

Looks like were doing San Sebastian > Mascota > PVR local trails over 3 days. Hyped.

Your chica as well?
    What trails did you ride?
    Tell Alvin I said Hola.