Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

After a month of feeling not right, and at times downright terrible, I went to the doc for a physical, blood work etc. Rheumatoid factor came back positive, along with painful achy joints and some random rashes, they're calling it Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I'm having a hell of a time getting a rheumatologist to call me back and basically just have an RX for meloxicam which isn't doing a ton. I elk hunted the last 2 days and bailed as the pain was getting intolerable. Any mags gone through this? Any success stories from meds, diet changes, supplements etc? Will I ski this winter? Any knowledge is appreciated as I'm fairly in the dark besides the googles and my rudimentary health care background.
    Last edited by snapt; 09-01-2022 at 02:46 PM.

A friend's wife had it. They had her on some pretty heavy immunosuppressants. Due to her compromised immune system she contracted a minor upper respiratory infection that turned into bacterial sepsis and she died. So, try to avoid the serious drugs if you can. Other than that I don't have much. Eating a lot of anti-inflammatory foods (dark leafy greens, berries, green tea, etc.) and avoiding pro-inflammatory foods (fried foods, vegetable oils, sugar, etc) can't hurt, but I'm not sure how much it really helps. It probably varies by individual. Good luck, that's a shitty situation.

I have had a couple of friends who have had it with varying levels of impact. My mom had lupus which is related. When ibuprofen first became available people thought it was the miracle drug. Sure you know to take with food to protect the tummy. Sun really kicked up her lupus so extra protection there until you know more. Hope you find a rheumatologist soon

Anyone dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

My mom has RA and we have to drive to Rigby to see a rheumatologist for her.
    She used to see Dr Scoville in IF but not sure if he’s retiring etc but we had to shift to Rigby.
    I’ll ask her Dr’s name
    skid luxury

Seems like there's some pretty good symptomatic treatments out there for RA: https://www.healthline.com/health/rh...RoC4eIQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    My mom has RA and we have to drive to Rigby to see a rheumatologist for her.
    She used to see Dr Scoville in IF but not sure if he’s retiring etc but we had to shift to Rigby.
    I’ll ask her Dr’s name
    I talked to Scovilles office today and they’re months out from seeing new patients. They said the Rigby doc was sending folks their way. The U is 4-6 months out from getting an appointment. My insurance hopefully found me a provider in Logan that isn’t too crazy of a wait. Appreciate the responses.

have two close relatives that claim AHCC has had a positive affect. i’m ignorant on the topic otherwise

I have something similar. Enbrel saved my life.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Seeing a rheumatologist is crucial, as you obviously already know. That long of a wait is appalling. Best of luck with the doc in Logan.

Damn; spaced on the waiting part - sorry.
    If it gets really bad ..... ER?

My wife has it. It is pretty well controlled with drugs. She skis, does everything. Has been having trouble adjusting to altitude the last few years. Not sure if that is related but it is probably her biggest issue right now, since we travel to altitude for most of our frequent trips.

She is on, and has been for 2 decades, some pretty heavy scary drugs. Also, she is the picture of health mostly for a 47 year old. Hot as fuck to me.

She goes to the U of Iowa. I would get an appointment with your U even if it is months out, then another appointment just to get in somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    My insurance hopefully found me a provider in Logan that isn’t too crazy of a wait. Appreciate the responses.
    My FIL travels to Logan from IF to see a rheumatologist so you’re probably on the right track.

Not that anyone cares, but after a year of frustration I’ve been on Humira for a few months now and it’s likely saved my life.

Not that anyone cares, but after a year of frustration I’ve been on Humira for a few months now and it’s likely saved my life.
    That’s great news. I can’t imagine the head space of trying to find the right solution for a year while dealing with the symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Glad you are finding some relief

I've been on Enbrel for almost 20 years. To say it saved my life is an understatement.
    I didn't have much luck with Humera. It's interesting how different biologics work for different people. There doesn't seem to be a test to figure out which is gonna do it, so people out there not having luck, keep trying. There's a bunch of different ones.
    No longer stuck.

I've been on Enbrel for almost 20 years. To say it saved my life is an understatement.
    I didn't have much luck with Humera. It's interesting how different biologics work for different people. There doesn't seem to be a test to figure out which is gonna do it, so people out there not having luck, keep trying. There's a bunch of different ones.
    It's definatley whack a mole, I don't look forward to the day Humira starts to lose its efficacy.

Supposedly any biological can, but I don't seem to be having that problem. My Octobers have been getting worse, but I attribute that to age.
    (Every October, like clockwork, my back implodes, and right about 11/1 I start feeling well again. This is common with what I have, and probably with other similar things. It sucks, because October is usually great weather wherever you live and it's also my birthday month.)
    No longer stuck.

Added Humira to an existing dose of methotrexate about 3 months ago and it’s working pretty well. I’d say I’m at about 80% of where I’d like to be. We’re still sorting out what pain is rheumatoid and what’s osteo.

Unfortunately I broke my foot (5th metatarsal) a couple of weeks ago and now I’m getting shit for exercise and am feeling quite old and creaky but at least the pain is moderate,

I’ve got a question for some of you RA sufferers, Does anyone use prednisone on an occasional basis, like when your expecting a big ski day or some other especially big exertion? I’ve done it a few times and it’s made a big difference (not surprising) but it’s never been advised by a medical pro. Is it just because they’re afraid it will slip into long term abuse and all of the subsequent havoc that steroids will wreak on your body?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I'll take 5mg here and there when I have something physical like a PT test for work. My doc isn't concerned about a day or two at low dose needing to taper off and it certainly helps. I did a low dose for a year or so, and while my labs were good, I gained a bunch of weight and was stoked to get off of it daily,

I was on prednisone for around 6 months after the diagnosis while we were dialing in the meds. Covid in the middle of things with a 4 week layoff of the methotrexate and prednisone didn’t help.

Fortunately my weight going was slight,

I’ve cheated up to 10 mg a couple of times and it was a terrific difference but the I reminded myself that this shit isn’t good for you long term.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Has anybody in this thread tried skirub's CBD cream and can post feedback?

One of the things I've learned is about the most annoying thing you can tell somebody with an autoimmune disease is to try some supplement or diet etc. Do you think people in extreme pain from an underlying immune dysfunction enjoy taking meds that cost tens of thousand of dollars with terrible side effects? If CBD and the paleo diet worked I'd be a happy fucking camper.