Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's the best/warmest 3-finger mitt on the market?

What is [in your opinion] the best/warmest 3-finger mitt on the market?

I lost my 3-finger Hestra fall-lines last season, and need to replace them for the upcoming season.

I always loved the 3-finger design for dexterity, but will admit that the fall-line 3-finger from Hestra left something to be desired in terms of warmth. Hoping to find something that provides great warmth and dexterity...in the words of the great Freddie Mercury...I WANT IT ALL!

Flylow maine line. They are warm and cheap. I have the FTP 3 finger as well, I think the freeride. I like my flylow better. Way more dexterous. Close to the same feel as a hestra for a 1/3 of the price.

I can also attest to the Hestra 3-fingers sucking in terms of warmth - for whatever reason they use a different (less effective) insulation than their other mitts near the same price point.

I've had decent success with my Flylow Maine Lines, though they're not particularly effective for someone like me (with perpetually cold hands) once you get down in the low-teens and single digits. I've seen people on here rave about Free the Powder if you want warmth, and I'm probably going to pick up a pair of SX3 Pros or Freeride 3s for the coming season.

My FreeThePowder SX3 Pro’s are insane warm. For true warmth you want an over the cuff design. I spend 98% of my ski days in the Spring glove as my hands run very warm so my opinion may be worthless. There were a couple very cold, sub zero days last year I wore the SX3 and they kept my fingers nice and toasty. Dexterity is fine, I can buckle boots, work zippers etc. The stellar customer service and price point make their gloves a no brainer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

OR Firebrand.
    --end thread--
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    OR Firebrand.
    --end thread--
    Is it dexterous as fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Is it dexterous as fuck?
    Not quite dexterous as fuck. But warm as fuck.
    swing your fucking sword.

I have FTP three-finger mitts and find them to be not particularly warm. But I tend to run cold, so my opinion may be worthless.

On the coldest of cold days (think Big Sky in early January) I will use chemical warmers and my fingers will *still* get cold.

I like the FTP SX3's.

Another vote for the Flylow Mainline.

I've tried the Truck version but the cuff velcro is oriented in a way that is maddening/ineffective.

At one point I had a pair of BD soloist for backup use while sledding. Super comfy but I never got to use them in the wild.

I find my FTP SX3 Pros are too warm but for the coldest days. The fit, durability and value can’t be beat.

These will be warmer than pretty much anything out there.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/g...tml?lang=en_US
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I have FTP mitts and they are too warm for anything but the coldest days. Literally having to take them off because my hands were sweating in low single digit temps. They are pretty chunky, not as dextrous as some of the Goretex gloves I've owned, but for the money I don't think there is anything warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    What is [in your opinion] the best/warmest 3-finger mitt on the market?

I lost my 3-finger Hestra fall-lines last season, and need to replace them for the upcoming season.

I always loved the 3-finger design for dexterity, but will admit that the fall-line 3-finger from Hestra left something to be desired in terms of warmth. Hoping to find something that provides great warmth and dexterity...in the words of the great Freddie Mercury...I WANT IT ALL!
    I just picked up a pair of these; https://shop.kombicanada.com/collect...43032849842392

No cold weather yet though, but I’ve also got Hestras and multiple pairs of FTP gloves (short cuff, long cuff and long cuff with liner), and a pair of Burton Garibaldi (I think) mitts.

The Kombi are definitely warmer and thicker than the Hestra’s when just wearing them at home. Both the Kombi’s and the Burton mitts are similar tech, both Gore Tex with Gore Warm insulation. I’ve never found the Burton mitts to get cold even at -30 C.

One difference (apart from the mitt vs 3 finger), is that the Kombi’s have finger holes inside with insulation between each finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Timely thread. I need some cold weather gloves.

I can wear Kinco 94hk’s down to about 10F. Got FTP RX pro gloves after my marmot guide gloves wore out and everybody on TRG raved about them. Alas, they keep my hands as warm and dry as untreated Kincos.

So I need something for single digit PNW storm days. And the Maine Lines are priced well. Question though - is that goretex on back of glove? If not, how long does it take to wet out when snowing hard?

Heated gloves are a revelation. Warmth+dexterity. Get boot heaters too, and go in when you’re tired or the powder is all skied out, not when you’re cold.
    focus.

Please elaborate - which heated gloves do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Heated gloves are a revelation. Warmth+dexterity. Get boot heaters too, and go in when you’re tired or the powder is all skied out, not when you’re cold.

Anyone used both the FTP Freerides and SX3s? Curious if there's a noticeable warmth and/or dexterity difference between the two. I like the all-leather look of the Freerides, but FTP claims the SX3 is warmer.

Seems like lots of folks are on the FTP train here, but I can't stand the whole "waterproof them yourself" process. I always seem to f*#@ that process up with too much heat, not enough heat, too much gunk or not enough gunk...I really want a glove thats waterproof out of the box with just some leather treatment once a season without the "cooking" process. I def liked the hestras for that reason - came with a little pouch of some gunk, applied just a dime's worth once before every season to a dry glove, and away i went.

For those that vote FTP - do you guys cook your own gloves? do they need it?

Bruh - $220 for a pair of gloves!? And here I thought Hestras were expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I just picked up a pair of these; https://shop.kombicanada.com/collect...43032849842392

No cold weather yet though, but I’ve also got Hestras and multiple pairs of FTP gloves (short cuff, long cuff and long cuff with liner), and a pair of Burton Garibaldi (I think) mitts.

The Kombi are definitely warmer and thicker than the Hestra’s when just wearing them at home. Both the Kombi’s and the Burton mitts are similar tech, both Gore Tex with Gore Warm insulation. I’ve never found the Burton mitts to get cold even at -30 C.

One difference (apart from the mitt vs 3 finger), is that the Kombi’s have finger holes inside with insulation between each finger.

Oh. Well then save yourself some outrage and don’t look at heated gloves.

I have these: https://chavalusa.com

Bought these for the fiance: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/c...gloves-271542s
    focus.

To add to this, if cold hands are a problem for you where you find yourself having to go inside on epic powder days - or even at all - due to cold, $300+ isn’t a terrible investment to maximize the thousands you’ve already spent to be there. It’s the end of August. How much would you spend Right Now for an hour of powder skiing on an empty slope because the cold kept all the beaters at home?

[/Rationalization]
    focus.

Got mine at www.thelasthunt.com for half of that. That price is also CAD
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the BD mercury mitt's? Pretty sure mine were $85ish on sale
    I've got a pair and find them too warm except for the coldest of days skiing inbounds, cold & dry, below 10°f through -20°f or so. Even then I seem to have problems w/ sweat building up in them which is no bueno. But my hands run warm and I usually get by fine w/ gloves.
    On tours I'll pack them for breaks and warming up, they are usually way to warm for me to tour around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Oh. Well then save yourself some outrage and don’t look at heated gloves.

I have these: https://chavalusa.com

Bought these for the fiance: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/c...gloves-271542s
    WOW - those Chaval's might be the sexiest looking glove i've ever seeeeeeeeen - i wonder if they take proform applications?