Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exit Interview WTF?

Friday's my last day at my job, and I feel good about that. Real good. Like best Friday ever good.

Boss just reached out, he wants me to do an exit interview before I leave with his top henchman.

WTF am I supposed to say here? Keep it all positive bullshit vibes? Tell the boss why nobody likes working for him?

tl/dr:
    What is the point of an exit interview?
    How can I gain anything from the process??

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Friday's my last day at my job, and I feel good about that. Real good. Like best Friday ever good.

Boss just reached out, he wants me to do an exit interview before I leave with his top henchman.

WTF am I supposed to say here? Keep it all positive bullshit vibes? Tell the boss why nobody likes working for him?

tl/dr:
    I'd say it's unlikely *you* are going to gain anything from it. If you're honest, *they* may gain some useful information. Maybe.

My last job my boss did the exit interview, and I let him know why exactly I was leaving, to which he tried to explain away each of the reasons as being unfounded. I told him straight up that I didn't care if he *believed* my reasons - I was just telling him the reasons I was leaving.

I don't know if he learned anything or just dismissed all of it. And TBH, I didn't give a rat's ass either way.

No employee is under any kind of obligation to have to do an "exit" interview. Sometimes just saying nothing doesn't burn any future bridges.

My last job asked for an exit interview. “I already told you wtf was wrong for the last two years.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

tl/dr:
    The exit interview is more for your company than you. If you have a great relationship with the boss, be polite but candid.

If you don't like the boss or the company, then fuck 'em. Give short, corporate-speak non-answers. It's not your job to fix their shit (at least it isn't any longer).

There's nothing in the process for you. You can use the opportunity to make sure you've got a clean hand-off of responsibilities to your peers if you want to seem like a pro or make sure your colleagues aren't screwed over by your departure. Resist the urge to badmouth anyone or anything on the way out the door. While cussing a little bit and calling the dipshit director a dipshit might feel good, this isn't the venue for it. That's not a W for you: you run the risk of sounding like a whiner and you're not getting paid to manage the dipshit director. He's not your problem any more.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Crack a beer and ask for your final check.

otherwise it’s the exgf who doesn’t wanna change asking how she can pretend to change

I was really drunk for my last exit interview. I put in two weeks notice in the morning and they walked me on the spot. I went to breakfast and then started drinking with some buddies about 11. Former employer called around 4 that afternoon and was quite appalled that I was admittedly hammered for the phone call exit interview I didn't know I was going to have. Overall it went very well from my perspective. Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

ask if they want to get high in your car first.............

The real question is, how many bridges do you want to burn on your way out? It's based on where you're going next

A couple of flavors:

1. I'm continuing to live in this town and work in the same industry - play nice, speak in general corporate platitudes
    2. I'm switching to a completely different industry - tell the director what is wrong in broad terms
    3. I'm switching to a completely different industry and the moving truck already has my stuff across state lines - take a grip of ex-lax and pound a triple espresso before walking in, try to answer as many questions as you can with a straight face before you drop trow, shit all over the desk, and leave.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    The real question is, how many bridges do you want to burn on your way out? It's based on where you're going next

A couple of flavors:

1. I'm continuing to live in this town and work in the same industry - play nice, speak in general corporate platitudes
    2. I'm switching to a completely different industry - tell the director what is wrong in broad terms
    3. I'm switching to a completely different industry and the moving truck already has my stuff across state lines - take a grip of ex-lax and pound a triple espresso before walking in, try to answer as many questions as you can with a straight face before you drop trow, shit all over the desk, and leave.
    Clearly this is the way……
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Yup, this man clearly knows how to talk shit to a former employer.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

From my last exit interview

Q: Why are you leaving?
    A: My new role has new and bigger challenges
    Q: what can we do to change your mind?
    A: We are well past that point
    Q: what can we do to improve?
    A: I’m the wrong guy to answer. Ask the people who are still here

tl/dr:
    topsy turvy that mother fucker

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

otherwise it’s the exgf who doesn’t wanna change asking how she can pretend to change
    succinct. nailed it.

How bout something like... "the IRS/Whatever Industry Regulatory Agency told me not to share that info with you folks. Have a nice day!"
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

yup

"great working with you, have a nice life, and byeeeee"
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

You don't owe the boss anything, but maybe let him know the real shit for your former co-workers benefit?

Exit Interview WTF?

Agreed that there is nothing for you to win here. If you give a shit about your coworkers or the work your company does, then some tactful recommendations that they can ignore might soothe your conscience, while accomplishing nothing much. If they were any good at managing they’d have already solicited and acted upon any feedback or ideas you might have had. Otherwise, your only upside is to build bridges which means making them feel good about themselves and making them wish you were still there.
    focus.

do you think you will want/need a reference sometime in the future?

will any of these folks the the folks you ask for this reference?

govern yourself accordingly.

Eat an entire can of refried beans for breakfast that day. Fart incessantly throughout the exit interview, pretend like nothing is out of the ordinary.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It is possible that it isn’t out of the ordinary.

Name:  200.gif
Views: 799
Size:  366.9 KB
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Too many possible variables for us to tell you what to do. Go with your gut and if it gets weird, give us a thorough TR

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Go with your gut and if it gets weird, give us a thorough TR
    So, refried beans + farting?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So, refried beans + farting?
    Sure. I mean if the metric is what I’m going to find most entertaining, chili and beer for breakfast is a good bet