Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    So if you use one of these esim cards for data, what do you do if you want to make a call? Do you have to toggle a setting to switch back to your normal carrier?
    usually can set your phone so data default is one sim card and phone/sms is another.

traveling to europe with a smart phone...how exactly?

So if you use one of these esim cards for data, what do you do if you want to make a call? Do you have to toggle a setting to switch back to your normal carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    usually can set your phone so data default is one sim card and phone/sms is another.
    ^This. Is easy to assign data to e-sim, phone to other. Both work at same time. No toggling settings required beyond initial setup

MobiMatter e-sim on both iPhone 13 and iPhone XS was seamless earlier this year across three countries. Data thru the e-sim and web, maps, imessage and TGR just worked. Whatsapp for calls to known whatsapp users.

Switched off data on the regular US sim and kept it activated for normal phone calls only. But I’m pretty sure I got Wi-Fi calling to work thru the data e-sim since I never got billed when I got back home - worst case it’s something like 10c per minute.

Yeah, I keep pushing MobiMatter cos it’s cheaper than Airolo and all others I looked at and I had good experience with it. We’ll be using it again this summer. Shamelessly for anyone considering it who wants to save us both a few bucks my MobiMatter referral code is DCPAS13473.

Sounds really easy. Any thoughts on how much data to get for one week? I doubt we’d be streaming any videos. Navigation, some web use, and music most likely. 5gb is only $7.99.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

traveling to europe with a smart phone...how exactly?

5 gb should be plenty. I had 5 gb for two weeks and didn’t get close to using it all

Edit: make sure you are only syncing photos and things like that when on Wi-Fi or you can use up that 5 gb pretty quickly if you’re not careful. Turn any data-heavy apps to Wi-Fi only also, and download maps for your area ahead of time.

Looks like I may be out of luck with the esim. I bought one (and used dcpnz’s referral code, thanks!),but it looks like your phone has yo be unlocked to use it. Mine’s still under contract and has a ways to go to pay it off. Bummer!

Sounds really easy. Any thoughts on how much data to get for one week? I doubt we’d be streaming any videos. Navigation, some web use, and music most likely. 5gb is only $7.99.

All can really depend on your use. Do you ever track and look at what your last few months of data use has been here in the states? (Android has some data tracking apps- showing wifi and then cellular data use). Many carriers of course have a way to login to the account and look at the data usage, or have a way to text even for a data usage report. Some will if you do 611 provide an account review and discuss the plan you are on and the past few months of usage, and even of course if you are ending up with overages charges maybe a recommended plan change.

Then once you have your normal usage, an estimate of the added needs (photos to social media if not on wifi, Whatsapp calling, turn by turn mapping and the like for the trip that maybe more than what you would be doing in the states. But if the plan with the data bundle is $8,00 and you run out, another $8.00 gets you another block and would as stated be cheaper than the $10 per day some charge for roaming and usage when needed if you do not need to do voice calls regularly on the US carrier telephone number or wifi calling, etc.
    Last edited by RShea; 08-12-2023 at 07:49 PM.

Looks like I may be out of luck with the esim. I bought one (and used dcpnz’s referral code, thanks!),but it looks like your phone has yo be unlocked to use it. Mine’s still under contract and has a ways to go to pay it off. Bummer!

Still reach out to your existing carrier and ask if they will do a temporary unlock on the esim). If not shop for a used unlocked phone that maybe you could pick up before you leave, or if you have an old phone in a drawer (but be cautious that they may not support esims either), see if that could be unlocked for use- (and see if they could have the plan be set up on a physical sim instead of esim).

Yeah, sorry we’ve all overlooked emphasizing that. Unlocked phone prerequisite to using either a physical sim or e-sim from any other carrier. I just paid off mine off a few months early and got it unlocked within hours.

If you can’t figure out a way to use it pm me - if its transferable I’d buy it off you.

Further update on Airalo: it lets you hotspot its service onto other phones. So you could just buy one Airalo e-SIM and hotspot others onto it. Cool.

Mrs C is currently using it off my phone, on a boat...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Does anyone have advice on buying a phone to use in Europe? I had issues last year with my company phone while on vacation (I don’t have a personal phone). It wasn’t the worst deal to not constantly have a phone, but I wouldn’t mind looking in to buying a cheap ass phone and then getting a plan on Europe if I go back next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Does anyone have advice on buying a phone to use in Europe? I had issues last year with my company phone while on vacation (I don’t have a personal phone). It wasn’t the worst deal to not constantly have a phone, but I wouldn’t mind looking in to buying a cheap ass phone and then getting a plan on Europe if I go back next winter.

Buy it from Amazon in whatever county 6 you will be in, and have it shipped to your hotel or bnb.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post

There are some International unlocked model phones out there. Unlocked if you purchase directly from the manufacturer. You want iPhone or some Android model (or do not care and just shopping on price?) Apple iPhones unlocked directly from Apple will from what I know work anywhere and not limited to domestic carriers only.

Have to be careful to see about the bands and frequencies that are supported, most are GSM models, but with 5G things may be different with a few brands and models.

any phone from the manufacturer will be unlocked. most newish phones, you shouldn't have any issues with connectivity. something like a pixel 7a or 6a is a slightly cheaper way to go.

any locked phone, you can _try_ to get it unlocked, but if it's a company phone it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Thanks all, I’ll keep in mind to budget for a phone if I go. I am not about to burn bridges by unlocking a company phone. If I didn’t know any better, our company was guarding nuclear secrets. But at least I get a free vpn to watch out of country movies.

Does your company not pay for service on said company phone?

My go to in the past has been to ask my company for a loaner phone that would work internationally. (we kept a few on hand, although back then we had a mix of people using company phones and personal phones...I think they are 100% personal bring-your-own-device now)

Then I would just either
    1. Use the phone they gave me and not worry about it because they paid the bill.
    2. Pull the sim and put it in my phone (we were both on AT&T). I get to keep my apps, use my camera, etc. although I lose access to my personal number and have to use the corporate number for texts/calls.

The $10/day or whatever international fee is a rounding error on a corporate phone bill.

Not sure if this applies (couldnt see where youre located) but here in BC (maybe other parts of Canada too) companies are legally required to unlock phones for you if you ask, even under contract.

I’m really only supposed to use the phone for company purposes, but here I am typing this on it. So the company has added me to the international plan (I’ve traveled international for extended periods of time for work), and they don’t mind the bill for the international, but the last time I went, for the life of me I could not get the phone to connect to the local networks in France (or Switzerland). The last thing I wanted to do was start sending emails back to the office about it, so if it’s not a huge cost, I’d rather set myself up for success on having a working phone, and just tell work to fuck off for two weeks. I’d still take the phone I have and use it wifi when needed.

Bump. What about traveling to the US? Airalo has options but the service is slowish for $26 10gb. Are there any good and cheaper options to buy a sim?

What part of the USA and cities or mountains?

I ask because Verizon seems to perform better in the mountains, but I'll assume their pricing sucks.

I'd imagine that most services will perform well in the major metropolitan areas.

I heard from a foreigner that buying a SIM in the US is a huge pain in the ass, we don't really do that here. That being sell service without a phone or a plan attached. Could try straight talk or Cricket maybe? I think you can reload that service so maybe?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I have an esim card I couldn’t use since my phone was locked. Let me know if anyone is interested. It was pretty cheap.

I have an esim card I couldn’t use since my phone was locked. Let me know if anyone is interested. It was pretty cheap.

My Verizon phone was locked for 30 days after I purchased it, after that it becomes unlocked with no need to pay it off. Just in case anyone wondered
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I found out that ( at the time) Telus phones were locked when I tried to buy a chip in portugal, fortunately my GF's phone was not locked and so we just used hers for a couple of apps to get around

some locals at an Air BnB told us which apps to use wazee & whatsup for navigating, they didnt have plans it was cheaper to just buy a chip and buy another when it was done
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-31-2023 at 11:01 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I am on the Oregon coast. Google Fi offers an unlimited plan for $50. If I dont have to sign up for a year or some shit like that it might be the best option.

FWIW just got back from Europe with my family. We have a mix of Pixels and iphones, all unlocked. All of us use Mint physical SIM's in the states. We all added a few dollars of Mint international for phone/SMS in Europe, and downloaded Airolo e-sims for mobile data. All worked fine, with decent network coverage in several countries. This isn't the easiest way, but easy enough, and paying <$200/year for cell service leaves more money for skis.