Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Do you need to communicate via your domestic phone number? That would be the only catch…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No. Just data.

My cell carrier is Visible, which is a MVNO owned by Verizon, so on Verizon towers in US. The Pixel 6a phone will work on GSM network too, so it's fine for Europe.

An e-SIM from Airalo seems like the cheapest and easiest option - a regional Europe one covering everywhere I'll be is $20 for 5gb data for 30 days. That'll be totally sufficient for my use.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    if I was you. try to get your local US provider on esim then just pick up a physical SIM when you get there. way easier, that's how I do it.
    Why would that be easier?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Kind of depends, I've found that eSim, because everything is digital, just is more of a process (registration of personal info and whatnot) to get sorted on a phone.

That said, if you have a solution that's eSim that'll work, then it doesn't _really_ matter. Just go with that.

Just install it, then delete it when you're done.

I have my primary number eSimmed so that when I travel, I can just throw in whatever card from respective region.

Advantages of Esim for the Euro carrier is may not even have to visit a store to get a physical. While I have not done it, probably some allow you to do everything online- payment for the plan then the esim install possibly via chat and have it all ready when landed at the airport?

Since you are on Visible then they can do either physical or esim for the service, so if you have physical sim you either disable it in the settings. Probably blocked and no service message if by accident you do get it enabled by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Advantages of Esim for the Euro carrier is may not even have to visit a store to get a physical. While I have not done it, probably some allow you to do everything online- payment for the plan then the esim install possibly via chat and have it all ready when landed at the airport?.
    This is how Airalo works - looks pretty smooth.

I have a physical SIM card from Visible in my phone now. It's working, so thinking I'll just leave that alone.

Pick up a sim card at the airport for data, use whatsapp for voice calls.

traveling to europe with a smart phone...how exactly?

E-sim is the way to go. Worked great for me in January. I used mobi-matter which was even cheaper than airolo and worked flawlessly. Voice calls thru whatsapp worked better than trying to use my US number

Edit: if your phone can use them I’m convinced e-sims are easier, cheaper and can cover vast regions so are better when moving across borders than old school physical sims

I'm going to have to try that e-sim next time, although since I use a cut rate no-contract phone plan because I'm cheap, it probably won't work somehow.

if I was you. try to get your local US provider on esim then just pick up a physical SIM when you get there. way easier, that's how I do it.
    Just a PSA for iPhone 14 people, this won’t work. Apple took out the physical sim slot in their infinite wisdom.

traveling to europe with a smart phone...how exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Just a PSA for iPhone 14 people, this won’t work. Apple took out the physical sim slot in their infinite wisdom.
    But it has an iphone14 does have eSim now so supposedly no big deal and it will work

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I'm convinced e-sims are easier, cheaper and can cover vast regions so are better when moving across borders than old school physical sims
    easier in some ways for sure, cheaper in most places (unfortunately found a way to make it more expensive in canada), but moving across borders, it's same same?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    oh right. canadian iPhone 14s still have sim trays

Heading to France tomorrow for 8 days. ATT will only charge the $10/day for days I use it. I assume I’ll keep my phone in airplane mode, download our RideWithGPS routes via wi-fi and only use cell service/data for emergencies.

I had great luck with T mobile in Amsterdam last month. Service in Europe is included in my plan so no extra charges.

I got LTE other than 5G and you get 5 gigs of high speed data per month other than unlimited. Otherwise totally seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Heading to France tomorrow for 8 days. ATT will only charge the $10/day for days I use it. I assume I’ll keep my phone in airplane mode, download our RideWithGPS routes via wi-fi and only use cell service/data for emergencies.
    Have been to EU several times in past year & this works flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Sure you could….. but you could also get an esim with 3gb of data for $6 and just use it whenever you like

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I'm going to have to try that e-sim next time, although since I use a cut rate no-contract phone plan because I'm cheap, it probably won't work somehow.
    Not every phone supports an esim. So if it really is a cheap cutrate carrier model, could work only with physical sims.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Sure you could….. but you could also get an esim with 3gb of data for $6 and just use it whenever you like
    Can you school me on how to do this? We’re going to Ireland in three weeks and have ATT with iPhone 14s.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Can you school me on how to do this? We’re going to Ireland in three weeks and have ATT with iPhone 14s.

Start with this article for discussions- small amount of data or unlimited data plans discussed. Physical sim or some esims also. https://www.traveltomtom.net/destina...eland-sim-card

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post

https://mobimatter.com/travel-esim/e...rope-3-gb-esim

Thanks, guys.

I’d just send my fiancé the number to the local whore house and tell her if she needs to find me I’ll be there and leave my phone home. Then ask her to insure my shipping container when she calls.

anyone wanna share their airalo referral code to get a few bucks and make it cheaper for me?

anyone wanna share their airalo referral code to get a few bucks and make it cheaper for me?
    Yes please! Mine is KARL0585. Thanks!

So if you use one of these esim cards for data, what do you do if you want to make a call? Do you have to toggle a setting to switch back to your normal carrier?

Can report success with the e-SIM from Airalo in Europe. My texts go through on my US phone number, over the Airalo data-only SIM. Cool.

I got a data only e-SIM, so do not plan on making any voice calls on it. But I have read that calls over WhatsApp will work. And my phone will route calls over wifi, so I assume that'll work too.