Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Grom Ski

Best Grom Ski

We’ll, it’s that time of year again. Leaves just barely start changing and so I start daydreaming of skiing again.

My little dude has been ripping the mantra juniors and they are an awesome ski. Perfect amount of rocker/width for a one ski quiver in CO. I’m looking at mixing it up and getting him on a Bent Chet mini this season but not stoked about what looks like a cap construction (haven’t actually seen one, but that’s what I gather from online descriptions). Anyone have any kids on the bent mini or have any other suggestions on kids skis that are fun and capable?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rustler Team is a sweet ski. Wood core and sidewall construction underfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kid is 8, the elans look ok but too narrow

For 8, you can't beat the moment carson.

Moment carson looks pretty sweet

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    My kid is 8, the elans look ok but too narrow

They work great in UT for my 7 year old, but everyone is different.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    my boys really enjoy the Nordica enforcer 95 s. I think same general construction as adult? probably too big for OP's grom but I will have at least one pair in 150 up for sale this season.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    For 8, you can't beat the moment carson.
    Absolutely the Moment Carson. Ran through all the sizes for our granddaughter, she graduated to the 162 Bella's at 12.

My kids have used both praxis and moments with great results. However, my 10 year old (now 11) loved her mini bents and she is not shy about skis she doesn’t like….

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I’ve scored Faction Candide youth skis one set in 133cm and a second set in 155cm from mags on this board and they have served my kids really well all these years. Great Alta ski being flat camber and rocker tips and tails. Don’t remember the exact dimensions but they are about 100mm underfoot. Solid skis.

Truth's son chases me all over on Moment Carsons. Not sure if it's the skis or the kid -- but the combo rips.

My son absolutely loved the Enforcer 95 S and is now on the K2 Mindbender Team Junior which he loves even more. Both skis are wood core, sidewall underfoot. Quality skis. Both were used for IFSA freeride competitions as well as general free skiing. Not sure if Nordica still makes the 95S, though used could be an option. The Mindbender only goes down to a 145, so maybe too long depending on your grom's size and ability. I don't think my kids were on anything as long as 145 at 8, but they were both smaller for their age.

Quote Originally Posted by rbciii View Post
    My son absolutely loved the Enforcer 95 S and is now on the K2 Mindbender Team Junior which he loves even more. Both skis are wood core, sidewall underfoot. Quality skis. Both were used for IFSA freeride competitions as well as general free skiing. Not sure if Nordica still makes the 95S, though used could be an option. The Mindbender only goes down to a 145, so maybe too long depending on your grom's size and ability. I don't think my kids were on anything as long as 145 at 8, but they were both smaller for their age.
    There's a mindbender junior for smaller sizes that's same construction I believe. It's on the shortlist along with the Carson for my 9 yo this year.

Anyone know much about the QST Ripper? That also looks pretty good

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Pile on to the Moment Carson train. My 9 Y/O loves his.

I would love to see him try the Praxis, but not a lot of options to find those these days.
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

How big is your 9yo? Mine just turned 9 and is on the small side at 52.5 in tall and about 65 lbs. Carsons smallest size now is a 136,looks like older versions came smaller. I think a upper 120s-130 is probably where we need to be

Another plug for Moment Carson. My 10yr old daughter loves hers.

Faty-pus has the Jam and Jam 2 that look legit:

https://www.fat-ypus.com/product/j-a-m-on/
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by rbciii View Post
    Faction Dancer Yth or Prodigy Jr’s
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

If anyone is holding a good grom ski in ~145, give or take, holler.

EDIT: I'm all set now!
    Last edited by Danno; 09-24-2022 at 05:28 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This guy is (not my sale):

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/in...534348763.html

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    How big is your 9yo? Mine just turned 9 and is on the small side at 52.5 in tall and about 65 lbs. Carsons smallest size now is a 136,looks like older versions came smaller. I think a upper 120s-130 is probably where we need to be
    My dude is 58" tall and 70LBS. The effective edge of the Moment Carsons is significantly shorter than the full measured length. I sized up and they were a bit long last season, but he loved them at speed. Name:  IMG_1987 2 Medium.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  103.8 KB
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

Bumping this thread bc I'm still clueless about kids skis. Picked up a pair of K2 Shreditor Jr 129 here in great condition from gear swap, but was shocked how stiff these seem to be for a kids park twin. My 9 year old is aggressive and has good form, but is smaller at 52ish inches tall and 66 lbs without gear. The tail on these on particular seems pretty stiff. How the hell do I know if a given ski is too much / too stiff for a kid? (Wanted to find moment Carsons but no luck anywhere except for much bigger sizes)

Do wood cores really matter for a kid? I saw a kid ripping on some bent minis which prompted my kid to buy a pair with some b-day/x-mas money he had. We’re about to mount them up and then noticed it was a foam core. He’s currently on the mantra jr and that ski has been great for him.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Do wood cores really matter for a kid? I saw a kid ripping on some bent minis which prompted my kid to buy a pair with some b-day/x-mas money he had. We’re about to mount them up and then noticed it was a foam core. He’s currently on the mantra jr and that ski has been great for him.

Thoughts?
    I think it makes a difference especially if you plan on handing them down or selling them. Our 14 yo granddaughter had three pair of Carson's starting with the 115 (which they don't make any longer) and then two longer pair. She skied each for two years then moved up and I would sell them for about half of what I paid for them. I know at least two of those skis are still out there giving youngsters a chance to have skis at a reasonable price. Not sure a pair of foam core skis would hold up 8+ years.

Good point, these were pretty cheap so resale is whatever. I get the multiple years of use though