Thread: Kandui Invite

Kandui Invite

So, got invited on the trip of a lifetime next September to Kandui. Got the ok from the wife . Im gonna have to work my ass off this year to get back on a shortboard. Dont think there are too many longboard options from what I see on youtube of the place. Im in shape and skinny so it wont be too bad. Just need to adjust my mental attitude from sitting outside and choosing what I want to going inside and hope I dont drop in on anybody.
    Lots of question going forward. Right now I dont even own a board I would considering taking along but that needs to change.
    One of the questions I have if anybody has been there and applies to all barreling reef waves is what happens when you blow it ? Do you get your shit together and try to paddle against that massive white water or do you get thrashed across the reef?
    Little concerned with that after breaking my board way outside at Hookipa and damn near getting washed up on the dry reef trying to get back in with 3 feet of board left.

And yes, I do know its the "Shoulder Season " . Im not looking for house size barrels , but I am afraid of myself surfing a few days and thinking Im better than I am and finding myself in the line up for house sized barrels

Well September is barely shoulder season. Expect some swell.
    Depending on the reef, but yeah often when you fuck it you get blasted over the shallow inside section. Sometimes it goes to dry reef (low tide Uluwatu prime example), sometimes it goes to a little lagoon thing behind it (Teahupoo is like that), sometimes you can scrape back out paddling with the current and its not too bad (Uluwatu at mid-high tide is more like this). Tips for this: don't try and stand up if you're not in reef booties, don't duck dive the board deep as you will smash it into the reef. Try not to get flipped onto your back.

I think there are more waves around that area for intermediates than is mentioned. Aframes and 4 bobs i rememeber were fairly mellow. But yeah Kandui and Rifles are some the best waves around, but they fuck people up!

Sounds like a hell trip. I have been looking at dirtbagging it out there for around 10 years but never made it happen. Enjoy!

ETA: Not sure where you are, but I would talk to a local shaper about organizing a quiver. I would take at least 3 if not 4 boards for a 2 week trip in the ments, or at least make sure you can get one from Kandui, they may have a bunch of snapped/repaired boards.

Nice

Nice

Went out at Oceanside Sunday, First time on a short ( 6' 10") in years. Surprised how quick I made it outside, figuring it was going to be a shit show. I didnt do too bad. Caught a lot of waves but was a bit lazy in the beginning and missed a few because I needed one extra stroke to get into the wave.
    Im riding a 6' 10" Channel Islands M13 . Seems a bit slow on the take off but works ok down the line. Out of about 15 waves I was satisfied with maybe 3 rides? But Hey, thats 3 more than I thought I would like.
    So, I will spend the winter on the inside groveling with the masses so I can get back into short boarding. Looking forward to relearning and figuring out what board or boards work for me, I needed something to get me out of the same old routine anyway

If you want mellow waves Stick to karamba and 4 Bobs depending on you preferred Stance and wind. Yes they are right at your Island.

If you have a boat at your disposal at your luxury resort: nipussy, pit stops (right) and beng Bengs(left)are also very mellow.

If the trades come up to the mentawais ( like they did in my season) Only a hand full of waves work.

Don't try to surf kandui or rifles. Trust me, I sat in the boat....
    I surfed hideaways an Island further which Is considered a very good world class barrelling wave too but more mellow than kandui.

It looked way more comfortable than kandui, but it was full on paddle for dear life drop while the wave sucked water from the reef at mid tide.
    And get a board with a lot less volume than you think you need and some boxy rails. The waves are that good. Karamba can be surfed on a log, but who wants to surf a log in indo?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    So, got invited on the trip of a lifetime next September to Kandui. Got the ok from the wife . Im gonna have to work my ass off this year to get back on a shortboard. Dont think there are too many longboard options from what I see on youtube of the place. Im in shape and skinny so it wont be too bad. Just need to adjust my mental attitude from sitting outside and choosing what I want to going inside and hope I dont drop in on anybody.
    Lots of question going forward. Right now I dont even own a board I would considering taking along but that needs to change.
    One of the questions I have if anybody has been there and applies to all barreling reef waves is what happens when you blow it ? Do you get your shit together and try to paddle against that massive white water or do you get thrashed across the reef?
    Little concerned with that after breaking my board way outside at Hookipa and damn near getting washed up on the dry reef trying to get back in with 3 feet of board left.

And yes, I do know its the "Shoulder Season " . Im not looking for house size barrels , but I am afraid of myself surfing a few days and thinking Im better than I am and finding myself in the line up for house sized barrels
    I did that at Hookipa. It was my first year of surfing. Thought I was gonna drown. Definitely got out of the water cut up.

Deposit is down . Dates are set and the group is growing. Five so far. The email I got for the conformation does discuss boards and what will work. I know I will buy at least two. But, I need to be good at shortboarding again so I need to start riding boards similar to what i will be taking. So far Im riding a Channel Islands 6'10" M13. I think it may do fine over there. But I am going to order a Channel Islands Happy Traveler in 6'10" or 6'8".
    Cant see myself going below 6'6" but who knows
    Any input for board design will be greatly appreciated

I'd do a bit of volume in the nose to paddle, so not like a true indo board, but keep the middle and end part like on Boards for Hollow waves. Rounds tail for the win. Thruster,or quad if you need that extra bit of speed to go barrel hunting. It never helped me much though because I'm a kook
    My goto Board if the waves are good:
    https://pukassurf.com/surfboards/pukas-69er-evolution/

And yes I buy boards of the rack and don't have "my shaper"

Just surf as much as possible. Lots of waves in the area of Kandui (assuming you are staying at the resort).

I buy my boards off the rack too, but if you are buying multiple boards with a specific trip in mind, a shaper will help you greatly in determining size and volume of the quiver for the different waves.

Ugh this thread has me frantically figuring out if i can make it over there this fall. Def not to Kandui Villas thats for sure. Fuck that place is expensive!

Looking at a 6'8" CI happy traveler. They have one at a shop close to me, set up as a thruster. Never ridden a quad but wondering if I should order the same board with a five box set up. Another 200 dollars , wonder if its worth it.
    So, first board is figured out. Now to get something else. Same type of shape in a smaller board or something more shorter, wider. And then there are fin systems. Holy Shit I have been out of the game a long time. Fins just used to be what ever came glassed in the board

Get the same fin boxes then you can reuse the fins. Take two sets. For the Ments i would go for a speed control fin. You won't need much help from the fins as the wave should have enough punch. John John Techflex in futures are great for that, super predictable.

Sounds like you are on the right path with the boards. Pyzel Next step is also along the same style. If you have the stiff holding fins it opens up board selection a bit for you as tail shape isnt as important. You could get something like the happy every day as a 6'2 as well as the fins will help with the hold.

Bought a New Board Thursday after work. Was Lucky enough to have some surf at Oceanside Harbor Friday Morning. Was 3-4 feet, but fast enough to give me a good idea about how this board performs. I have always wished for more speed on beachbreaks while riding a longboard or the Shortboard I had been riding.
    Quickly Discovered this board will outrun the sections so you can take off on a critical section and see some face. Nice Even got a hoot and a comment about a Nice Rail Grab drop from another guy.
    Now Im in love. No longer wondering how people drop under the lip and still make it into the barrel. really Happy with this one
    6'8" CI Happy Traveler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0933FFE2-3FAC-4EC6-ACAB-6BB64D56676F.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	426996

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7014.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	426997

Great looking board.

Definitely nice shape. A bit big Unless you're huge? But 6.8 is still manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Definitely nice shape. A bit big Unless you're huge? But 6.8 is still manageable.
    What time of year were you in the Ments? I was thinking about heading over in October into November but worried its going to be too small.

A bit big Unless you're huge? But 6.8 is still manageable.
    Ha! It looks like a little potato chip to me. Im coming off a 9 foot longboard. I do plan to use the coming year to go down in board size to hopefully 6'4" to maybe 6 ' 2" but I havent ridden anything smaller than a 7'2" for years. Im 6 foot 170 lbs. But, at 60 the little extra lenght makes up for speed loss in paddeling and pop up time. I started surfing in 1976 so I pretty much ridden all thats came along but got stagnant riding a longboard

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    What time of year were you in the Ments? I was thinking about heading over in October into November but worried its going to be too small.
    In the midst of summer about 6 weeks August and September. It was smallish sometimes. But we had a bad year. October is a gamble, but I was up in aceh ( even further north) then and still had swell. November: don't know but you'll probably ha e to go to the swell magnets.

Durn, probably will be cancelling due to the trip organizer's new medical condition. I would be solo in a great big world. Oh well. Gonna grab the RV and surf SOCal to Central Cal