Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Peak Chat

Buy one tungsten pen get 10 free.

Skis are light, too much camber, especially behind the ball of foot towards the rear of the ski.

If you welded 5 pens to each top sheet it would probably dampen them up a bit .

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Buy one tungsten pen get 10 free.

Skis are light, too much camber, especially behind the ball of foot towards the rear of the ski.

If you welded 5 pens to each top sheet it would probably dampen them up a bit .
    Lol. Hard to believe the $179 Peak pen is for real. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Lol. Hard to believe the $179 Peak pen is for real. WTF
    They're also selling a $680 knife to cut cheese

gigglegiggle

I finally saw a pair in the wild at Jackson this past week.

Maybe they shouldn’t have spent all their money on that showroom in Montana’s. A move like that is a clear sign that their already running out of cash . Game over.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    https://peakskis.com/pages/buy-1-get-1

Buy 1 get one free... Not skis, but pairs.

"I left a pair of Peak skis unlocked in my car and when I came back somebody had put another pair in there."

Badumpbump.

But seriously, if they have been holding any demo days at Big Sky or Bridger I have not heard about it. Wouldn't that be a no brainer to spread the word, since their showroom is in Bozeman? Get Bode out there talking to people? I guess it's easier to just flood social media with ads. Hell I'd try out their skis if they had demo days. Maybe they have and I am unaware, but I can't find anything online about it.

^^^

I laffed.

Never been a Bode fan so kinda enjoy seeing his brands flail.

I am not sure if Peak skis are flailing or not, but rode a Big Scree lift with a gent from the YC that was wearing a pair of Peak skis. Since I don't mind angling for an invitation to ski YC powder I fibbed and said that I heard Peak skis were awesome and how did he like them? The gent loved his Peak skis on corduroy and told me Bode was a YC member which made Peak even more special. If there was a Peak demo day I would try them out and test for durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    ^^^

I laffed.

Friend of mine and I decide to go 50/50 on the BOGO. $445 for new a ski. Why not. I got the 98/184 put some Pivots I had on them and gave them a try. I have skied it on hard groomers, about 12" untracked in bowls, and everything between those. It's actually a very good ski. It is definitely a better ski than my Praxis 9D8s. I need to A/B them to my Ranger 102FRs to decide which I like better. Regardless it is a good ski.

Peak Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Friend of mine and I decide to go 50/50 on the BOGO. $445 for new a ski. Why not. I got the 98/184 put some Pivots I had on them and gave them a try. I have skied it on hard groomers, about 12" untracked in bowls, and everything between those. It's actually a very good ski. It is definitely a better ski than my Praxis 9D8s. I need to A/B them to my Ranger 102FRs to decide which I like better. Regardless it is a good ski.
    The 110’s rail turns. Minimal dust on re frozen rain soaked snowpack for my first experience with the 110. Pressure em hard tighten it up at will. Very interesting ski quiet on edge and can feel a lot of edge. Was concerned cuz they are light. I am not a fan of light but here I am. Hunkers down and rips across the fall line in less than ideal conditions. They are not dead skis at all and finish with a reasonable amount of juice. Wouldn’t say they are quick unless you are…but they change directions at will … surprisingly stable but I do like mass…need some crud and pow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Crystal Skier; 01-19-2023 at 09:47 AM.

VP of Product and Content Development

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    my skis are always for sale…Peak is out of long lengths in 98 104 104SC 110’s.

Keeping these for a bit as their service is less than stellar right now. Understaffed and no communication…have been waiting on a promised pair of 184/104’s. It’s somewhat understandable.

Skied the 110’ for some fast laps at Crystal yesterday and they are quicker than first perceived. Strong skis flex similar to a BO 118 with s little stronger tail. A lot of how do ya like the Bodie Skis. It was a good time on these in spite of the lack of new snow. Daughter day blue skies.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    ^^^

I laffed.

Hear, hear! I bet one could ski out of the slalom course on some 88s real quick like!

More cowbell!!!

Is he bringing back the k2 four?

The world needs more piezos

I asked a friend for her review. She’s a strong skier. 50 year old ex racer turned ski mommy.

she says “I have the peak 98. I like to make big fast turns and I like to be able to load the ski all the way to the tail. The energy transfer is killer. The tip is just soft enough to engage the turn without having to force it. Granted, I don’t ski like I used to, but I can still make a couple good turns here and there.”
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I rode my friend's 184 peak 104's today for 3 hours right after coming off the 184 mantra 102 (pre-update version). I got asked after two runs what I thought in the lift line. I told him it had only been 2 runs and they definitely didn't suck but I couldn't tell if i liked them yet. I initially thought I couldn't think of any scenarios other than moderately deep powder or chop (softer tip and more rocker on peak 104) where I'd prefer them over the m102.

They are super balanced designs with nothing offensive. Medium large sidecut with metal and stiff underfoot but only medium tips and tails that can be bent into shorter radii. Plenty of tip and tail rocker for a 104 (and camber underfoot), but gradual rise that can still be engaged when tipped over. A medium overall weight with light feeling swing weight. Honestly it looked like a ski that should really be good at everything and was well thought out. However i have historically not fallen for these methodically "balanced" skis. I see what they can do everywhere, and even do it well. But i am always drawn to superlative performances even if they create significant compromises elsewhere. So I really thought this ski would impress but be forgotten.

However the more I skied these the more they grew on me. They held an edge on the thawed/refrozen snow that had also been wind hammered at mammoth the last week. They popped up and over roughed up piles at the end of the day. And while they didn't just grip and rip you across the fall line like the m102's from the very first turn, i found them doing something i always thought was marketing BS. THE HARDER I SKIED THE MORE THEY GAVE BACK. They really feel easy at slow speed because of lower swing weight, significant tip/tail rocker, and medium tip/tail flex. But every time i swore they would start falling apart at speed they didn't. They would either bite in on edge more or pop up and over shit with a nice blend of dampness and liveliness. Anyone who says these have NO speed limit is still full if BS (they definitely do), but they were extremely maneuverable without ever leaving me wanting for stability.

I still don't think I outright PREFER them over m102's (those still offer more superlative sensations), but i walked away damn impressed. These skis are crazy well balanced for all over performance with having just enough grip and umph to be happy at anything short of raging. I tried and never clicked with the OG enforcer 100 because it had too short of a turn radius and felt locked into its turn shape. I think these truly correct those errors (for me) in this take on the "just chargy enough" accessible ski. You can turn big or small or mix it up in between. It gives up a little dampness for pop over the nordicas from what I remember, but for me that worked out just fine

Who else makes a 25m 110 ski? Gotta say I’m intrigued by those #’s

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I actual think the Peak view where initial they didn't even provide radius because it wasn't "relevant" to their design is true. With my 98s I have no problem making any turn shape I want. Tip over and press it and it shortens let it ride its big. it is a very versatile design throughout the line. They did a nice job on design and development.

Peak Chat

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Who else makes a 25m 110 ski? Gotta say I’m intrigued by those #’s

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    They do rip across the fall line much harder than perceived and hard groomers were a blast however again this is a 110 so a hand clap
    Many 107’s to 112’s have done just that. They fall apart imo in crud and suck in schmoey pow. Rode the 188’s … moving on
    Both light and stiff are not my thing. Soft at the very uber ends of the tips/tails. Not seein it…all good

Last edited by Crystal Skier; 01-29-2023 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Skier View Post
    They do rip across the fall line much harder than perceived and hard groomers were a blast however again this is a 110 so a hand clap
    Many 107’s to 112’s have done just that. They fall apart imo in crud and suck in schmoey pow. Rode the 188’s … moving on
    Both light and stiff are not my thing. Soft at the very uber ends of the tips/tails. Not seein it…all good

So i could definitely see true consolidated crud overwhelming the soft tip. What i rode on the 104's was crud piles from end of day skiing after a thaw/freeze cycle and vicious winds. In that case they just pop up and over shit while staying nice underfoot(or lay em over and let the edge arc through it). But with thick chop that had started to set up I could see it being a serious limitation

What I keep thinking of is a lighter (but not crazy light), poppier OG enforcer 100 or enforcer 104 for people who think turn radii in the teens suck. But take that with a grain of salt since i have never ridden the enforcer 104 and it's been years since i got on the enforcer 100

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    man, you should send that excellent and nuanced review to Peak for them to post - perhaps they will give you an even better deal than 2/1. They might actually sell some skis if people read that take on the ski.

Thanks for taking the time to do such a nuanced write up - much appreciated

Like all Faction skis and many ON3P, Armada, Scott and many other ski companies, Peak uses an elliptical or multi radius sidecut on their skis. Use a longer radius(about 25m) underfoot in their longest lengths so it’s stable going straight while flat and then use a smaller, tighter radius tip/tail for quicker turn initiation. Works incredibly well on all my skis and the real reason why the Peak ski can also do “lots of turn shapes” as well.

Peak skis flex patterns are very similar to the Ripsticks but should have a bit more weight and more torsional rigidity with the 2 thin sheets of metal. The Salomon Stance line would be very comparable to them as would the stiffer tip/tail Faction Dancer(renamed Dictator).
    So definitely agree with the “more accessible” Original Enforcer 100 take on them with the benefit of a multi radius sidecut.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    man, you should send that excellent and nuanced review to Peak for them to post - perhaps they will give you an even better deal than 2/1. They might actually sell some skis if people read that take on the ski.

Thanks for taking the time to do such a nuanced write up - much appreciated
    Hahaha I felt obligated as everyone saw the bogo but let it pass because we were all asking "but has anyone actually tried them?"

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Like all Faction skis and many ON3P, Armada, Scott and many other ski companies, Peak uses an elliptical or multi radius sidecut on their skis. Use a longer radius(about 25m) underfoot in their longest lengths so it’s stable going straight while flat and then use a smaller, tighter radius tip/tail for quicker turn initiation. Works incredibly well on all my skis and the real reason why the Peak ski can also do “lots of turn shapes” as well.

Peak skis flex patterns are very similar to the Ripsticks but should have a bit more weight and more torsional rigidity with the 2 thin sheets of metal. The Salomon Stance line would be very comparable to them as would the stiffer tip/tail Faction Dancer(renamed Dictator).
    So definitely agree with the “more accessible” Original Enforcer 100 take on them with the benefit of a multi radius sidecut.
    Elliptical and multi radius are not necessarily similar. Volkl multi radius has bigger radii at tip/tail, tighter underfoot. An elliptical sidecut would be the opposite. And then ON3P has reverse elliptical.

No idea what Peak is doing with theirs.