Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Peak Chat

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    BUT WHERE ARE THE LAAAAZEEEERS?!

Haha, really good. I agree it's a deliberate misinformation repeated in every 3 paragraph ski review that metal makes a ski stiff. Core profile, wood type, and fiberglass (or carbon) make a ski longitudinally stiff. Even more deliberately misleading is that metal makes a ski damp. Mass, wood type and rubber make skis damp. The original full cambered volkl mantras had more metal than wood and those mofos were tuning forks. I really thought metal added torsional stiffness but seeing that video of a titanal sheet makes that even hard to see. I don't know if it's just "adding mass," but somehow just about every legendary edgehold ski has metal and adding it to skis without it always makes them grippier than before, so who knows how?
    It is a little misleading looking at the layers on its own though. It is the materials qualities when glued to another layer that you are interested in. Bendable plywood on its own is very flexible. Glue a couple sheets together suddenly you have a chair or a 303 ski.

Quote Originally Posted by chewski View Post
    Haha, really good. I agree it's a deliberate misinformation repeated in every 3 paragraph ski review that metal makes a ski stiff. Core profile, wood type, and fiberglass (or carbon) make a ski longitudinally stiff. Even more deliberately misleading is that metal makes a ski damp. Mass, wood type and rubber make skis damp. The original full cambered volkl mantras had more metal than wood and those mofos were tuning forks. I really thought metal added torsional stiffness but seeing that video of a titanal sheet makes that even hard to see. I don't know if it's just "adding mass," but somehow just about every legendary edgehold ski has metal and adding it to skis without it always makes them grippier than before, so who knows how?
    The video is misleading. When adding a metal sheet to an existing laminate, the ski will always be stiffer. Titanal is about as stiff as fiberglass longitudinally. What makes Cyrus statement sometimes true is that, often, when a company add metal to a ski, they also remove something else (e.g., some of the fiberglass) or adjust the core profile to keep the same longitudinal stiffness. Most company have some kind of testbench to measure the deflection of the ski and keep the deflection roughly the same when they change materials.

Metal is isotropic (equally stiff in all directions), so it will also always add some torsional stiffness when you add it to a laminate. Also, most fabric used in ski production have more fibres longitudinally, which makes the fabric stiffer longitudinally than torsionally when compared to Titanal. So if you remove fibre to replace it with titanal (and try to keep about the same bending stiffness), you will end up with a higher torsional stiffness. That being said, it would be relatively easy to make a ski with no-metal stiffer in torsion than a ski with metal. You just need to source the right fabric... Grip is related to torsional stiffness (and probably also mass).

Titanal (aluminum) is denser than all of the other materials used to make a ski, so it is really hard to make a non-metal ski as heavy as a ski without it.

"Damping", as used by skiers, has nothing to do with how engineers use that term (decay in vibration). Even the rubber used in skis has a very low "engineering" damping (but is relatively heavy). Damping used by skiers is more related to how a ski can bulldozes its way thought snow without transmitting too much forces to the foot. You need high mass and low bending stiffness to achieve that.
    SoothSki - Compare measured specs of thousands of skis!

Lurch, i lulz'ed at plywood. also thanks alude for the detailed explanation.

Gotta wonder what the Peak Ski Co. budget is for Wirth’s pony time. https://youtu.be/Y_ZCU-JdZBY

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Gotta wonder what the Peak Ski Co. budget is for Wirth’s pony time. https://youtu.be/Y_ZCU-JdZBY
    They’re probably making decent skis, and I’m sure it’s challenging to break into a mature and competitive market, but embracing gimmickry and such clichéd branding seems a dead end. Perhaps they’re onto something with the western boot wearing, nouveau rich, Mercia first, technophile crowd?

They have quickly captured share on the tram. I'd say it's Kastles, Volkls and Peak dang near third now, that's saying something

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    They have quickly captured share on the tram. I'd say it's Kastles, Volkls and Peak dang near third now, that's saying something

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    I work at a ritzy ski lodge and handle luggage for folks including their skis. It is incredible how many Peak skis I see compared to how new/small they are. Stockli still has a good grip on the rich skier market, and for fatter all mountain shapes Blizzard seems to be in the lead, but the groomer zoomer crowd is flocking to Peak skis like you wouldn't believe.

I asked a woman in the Big Sky tram line yesterday if I could fondle her 110's. Seemed okay.

Still not seeing too many here, which is odd because MT is where their hq is.

[QUOTE=TeleBeaver;6829698]I work at a ritzy ski lodge and handle luggage for folks including their skis. It is incredible how many Peak skis I see compared to how new/small they are. Stockli still has a good grip on the rich skier market, and for fatter all mountain shapes Blizzard seems to be in the lead, but the groomer zoomer crowd is flocking to Peak skis like you wouldn't believe.[/QUOTE
    Curious
    What ski area do your lodge guests access.

Hey I can't find my skis. Do you think anyone makes some fancy tech to stick into my core that will help me find them?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqDkA..._web_copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Hey I can't find my skis. Do you think anyone makes some fancy tech to stick into my core that will help me find them?

After watching a dude digging for 30 minutes in 18" of powder looking for his skis, I can definitely see the benefit to it. He never found them, BTW. Hoping for spring.

I'm surprised nobody has done this before actually, I always kind of assumed the poor transmission of radio waves through snow would be enough to make it only marginally useful in any situation where you really need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You can probably sync your skis to the bluetooth system on your Range Rover.