Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Peak Chat

Peak Chat

This is about Peak skis. Dav joined. So, this crew just gained a lot of clout in my eyes. Wirth and Bode have been pushing for the last few years during their own career changes and ultimately Peak launched.

And then Dav leaves Kastle? Woah.

Thoughts? Something about Bode and Dav designing together with Wirth managing the spine of things is quite intriguing.

I don’t know anything about keyhole. But flipcore changed the world. So did reflectec. As did RES. And so did others.

What’s up with Peak?

If their skis are anywhere is near half as good as their washer fluid, I’m fucking in

Name:  EB61BA77-2C60-4ED2-A8C2-3B6EB4C7D33C.jpeg
Views: 1900
Size:  30.0 KB

That shit fucking rocks.

wait ..... their skis melt the snow?!?!? That can't be good.

Interested, but calmly waiting on the side lines for the first testers to report in.

Peak ski are lengths not TGR approved. Too short. Get back to us when they make "big dick" sizes.

Wasn’t Bode hawking some other fringe brand recently? Unless you are a ski racer, how is his influence on a pair of skis even relevant anymore?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

They put sponsored ads on social media, people comment with specific questions, and nobody at Peak ever follows up with answers. Make of that what you will.

Peak Chat

I find this quote from the tgr-tested link below very interesting….

“mount point a few cm behind center”…..

Makes me want a pair though I wish it came in a 181cm, not 178cm and 188cm. At $890US these are a bit steep in price for us Canadians. But that kind of forward mount position (and with minimal camber) is surprising for a ski built by a ski racer. But well done in my opinion. I’ve bought 2 pair of Season Eqpt skis cause I love the -3 to -4cm forwardish mounts.

This is what I read….

“The ski’s shape very much follows the trend of modern directional freeride skis. With a squared off, low profile tip mixed with a healthy amount of tip rocker and taper, a small amount of camber underfoot, and a kicked up and tapered tail, the shape promises versatility. The recommended mounting point sits a few centimeters behind center, allowing you to ski with a slightly more centered stance and not have to constantly drive through the tongue of your boot to get the ski to respond.”

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/g...-peak-skis-104

Looking forward to the reviews. Hoping for better topsheets.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 08-24-2022 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    This is about Peak skis. Dav joined. So, this crew just gained a lot of clout in my eyes. Wirth and Bode have been pushing for the last few years during their own career changes and ultimately Peak launched.

And then Dav leaves Kastle? Woah.

Thoughts? Something about Bode and Dav designing together with Wirth managing the spine of things is quite intriguing.

I don’t know anything about keyhole. But flipcore changed the world. So did reflectec. As did RES. And so did others.

What’s up with Peak?
    AFAIK, the ownership group that had purchased Kastle in the 2007 (including Dav), sold their equity in the last couple years. My guess is that Dav had a contract that ran out last year and it was time to move on, much like his move from Spyder. 30 years as a pro skier and he's still making moves!

For Bode it doesn't seem like Crosson ever really got much off the ground. This time it seems like they have a stronger crew behind Peak. Topsheets, fwiw, are a big "meh"

Fingers crossed Dav gets Bode to remake the OG MX 98 with cherry tips and a wider model with a bit of rocker. I'm sure he'd sell more than a few. Don't care about keyholes.

I was hoping this was about the new technica boots.

Dav joining up is a curious development. I personally wrote these skis off as over marketed dentist garbage, especially since they blasted my social media nonstop for months. Browsing through their website is a journey through a bunch of shitty videos with limited info, anecdotes of Bode, "letting a world cup friend borrow his skis and winning their only race ever", weird presentations with lasers about Keyhole technology, and just about every ski marketing buzzword possible.

Chris is a consummate skiing professional who really knows his shit, so I'm having a hard time understanding the connection. I'll be following to see what the touring line up looks like if only to keep up with Dav's next step... and if they ever make topsheets that don't suck.

Wasn’t he with Kastle? What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Unless you are a ski racer, how is his influence on a pair of skis even relevant anymore?
    I imagine his feet developed quite the snow-feel in regards to all things skiing. He also had world class brands developing skis as per his requests while chasing downhill championships. Hearing him talk about his frustrations with FIS rules for sidecut was also interesting.

I can’t really imagine many other people outside his accomplishments that I would want designing my ski. Coupling his experience with Dav is super intriguing.

And, aren’t we all racing? Every time I click in I go as fast as possible. So, fuck yeah. Give me a goddamn Bode Miller powder ski.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Dav joining up is a curious development. I personally wrote these skis off as over marketed dentist garbage, especially since they blasted my social media nonstop for months. Browsing through their website is a journey through a bunch of shitty videos with limited info, anecdotes of Bode, "letting a world cup friend borrow his skis and winning their only race ever", weird presentations with lasers about Keyhole technology, and just about every ski marketing buzzword possible.

Chris is a consummate skiing professional who really knows his shit, so I'm having a hard time understanding the connection. I'll be following to see what the touring line up looks like if only to keep up with Dav's next step... and if they ever make topsheets that don't suck.
    Money. That is the connection. They are paying him lots of money.

swing your fucking sword.

There is really no need for these overpriced skis. Too many great skis already on the market for less money. Davenport could be the skiing equivalent of a LIV golfer. Take as much money up front as you can get and if the whole thing crashes who cares. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    There is really no need for these overpriced skis. Too many great skis already on the market for less money.
    They aren’t marketing to us.

swing your fucking sword.

What’s up with Peak?
    Ya’ll know they are just Elans.

*Elan has no WC presence, yet rocks the amphibio & makes a heck of rental stock.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Money. That is the connection. They are paying him lots of money.

I'm just wondering who's the money ?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

My fear is they’re going the S7 way but couldn’t Dav go anywhere?

I would consider it career suicide to go from revamping Kastle to marketing to Texans.

Sure, the website sucks but all websites suck.

The 188 110 @ 25.5 is intriguing.

Similar core to Dynastar? Poplar, P.U., and paulownia.

Dav should have gone to ON3P.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    They aren’t marketing to us.

Go to dental school.
    Profit
    Buy overpriced skis.
    Winning.

I haven't skied them, nor even fondled them yet.

Thoughts? ...
    1) The offered lengths are too short for me, but that won't discourage me from trying a free demo with an open mind. (Dav said he will do a demo tour. Maybe even "Ski with Dav". See SkiTalk on YouTube, Blister podcast with Dav, etc.)

2) My interpretation of THEIR market-speak claims about Keyhole Technology (not MY claims):
    - The keyhole makes a Peak ski feel shorter than it actually is.
    - Keyhole creates a hinge point that decreases the torsional stiffness and longitudinal stiffness of the front half of the ski.
    - They like that the keyhole decreases all the effects of the faraway section of the tip. Well, that's also what rocker and taper do, so keyhole is yet another way to reduce the need to manage a faraway tip...sounds to me like a "forgiving tip".
    - The decreased torsional stiffness and longitudinal stiffness of the tip results in easier control over bending it into tighter turns whenever you want tighter turns, which allows a longer radius sidecut to achieve the same tighter turns, which means less of the disadvantages of a tight sidecut (meaning a less catchy tip, less of the jittery catch-release-catch-release in non-smooth snow, etc.).
    - We'll see if any of those claims turn out to be true. Even if all true, we'll see if we even LIKE those things.

3) My interpretation of THEIR claims about the sections of ski BEHIND the keyhole (not MY claims):
    - With the keyhole decreasing the effects of the forebody and faraway tip, they then could focus on making the rest of the ski (behind the keyhole) have extra-awesome performance and precision with higher torsional stiffness & longitudinal stiffness---resulting in all the control and effects feeling as though they're almost directly underfoot, feeling very consistent and predictable, like an intuitive hockey skate instead of a difficult-to-manage long-ass ski.
    - We'll see.

I wish them luck!

ASIDE: Stockli "keyholes":
    All the red parts on these 2008 Stockli DP Pro skis are "keyholes" in the metal, filled with a layer of red plastic. I still need to do a focused A/B Test Left/Right vs Right/Left (the hole pattern in the Left tail is different from the Right tail---but the hole in tip is same on Left and Right).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StockiKeyholes.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	425535

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

While it’s an interesting design tweak, I still have trouble understanding how it’s revolutionary enough to start one’s own company.

I don’t know, maybe there’s more there than we know or they are saying.

Regardless, cool to see.

Man, the new Peak "Ethos Film" is pretty laughable. While I'm all for people trying to make better skis all the staged caliper shots were weird. In this day and age of engineering I feel like the only time you would take a caliper to a finished model would be for quality control, which they seem to be very concerned with.

Also at some point claiming your are an innovator so many times and that you are "leapfrogging the rest of the ski industry" just sounds like over compensating.

Well, they have already "leapfrogged over the rest of the ski industry as far as actual performance goes." Who is going to tell everyone else that it is time to throw in the towel?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...