Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Taco

^^^shit pushed in?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Chorizada tacos. I first had them at a little taqueria in downtown Mt Vernon WA. Can’t recall the name. Basically chorizo and carne asada chopped together and sautéed on the grill. Served with crushed pineapple on top with onion and cilantro.
    This place?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	424536

Calle (RIP) was easily the best brick & mortar taqueria in MV. Great Tequila and Mezcal selection too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    ^^^shit pushed in?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I keep misreading the title
    Attachment 424535
    Nacho guy

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 296
Size:  5.1 KB
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This place?

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	424536

Calle (RIP) was easily the best brick & mortar taqueria in MV. Great Tequila and Mezcal selection too.
    That’s the place, bummer. I’ve since made them at home, so delicious. I use the chorizo deco from my local carniceria

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Is a fajita a taco?
    No. Except for a VERY few exceptions, tacos are on corn tortillas. I believe fajitas are always(?) served on flour.

Fajitas aren’t Mexican, they’re Tex Mex and they’re a plate of strips of meat grilled with peppers and onions. Are we going to start calling any meat plate served with tortillas tacos now?

Fajitas aren’t Mexican, they’re Tex Mex and they’re a plate of strips of meat grilled with peppers and onions. Are we going to start calling any meat plate served with tortillas tacos now?
    Some people might like to. They would be wrong.

Ok. Yeesh. OK fine, have your soggy ass corn BS fall apart tortillas. Surely 5000 years of innovation has taught us nothing about how to fucking hold a taco filling together. Pretty sure this was all addressed in the Treaty of Guacamole Hidalgo.

In the early 2000's El Paso ran a commercial that showed some gringo dude biting his crispy old elpaso taco from the fucking top of the shell. Marty Robbins' estate even signed up to let them use the notes from the song "El Paso" woof.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Ok. Yeesh. OK fine, have your soggy ass corn BS fall apart tortillas. Surely 5000 years of innovation has taught us nothing about how to fucking hold a taco filling together.
    You’re so white. If your corn tortillas are falling apart you’re doing it wrong.

You’re so white. If your corn tortillas are falling apart you’re doing it wrong.
    Hehehe. surely. Hey, i love the authentic, I'm just not afraid to say I like the bastardized, er, I mean "fusion" ones just a bit more. Or, not even more, just, in a different way.

Ok. Yeesh. OK fine, have your soggy ass corn BS fall apart tortillas. Surely 5000 years of innovation has taught us nothing about how to fucking hold a taco filling together. Pretty sure this was all addressed in the Treaty of Guacamole Hidalgo.

In the early 2000's El Paso ran a commercial that showed some gringo dude biting his crispy old elpaso taco from the fucking top of the shell. Marty Robbins' estate even signed up to let them use the notes from the song "El Paso" woof.
    This rant: 2 out of 10

Poor showing.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This rant: 2 out of 10

Poor showing.

I think i'll just agree to this assessment and move on. I'm not choosing gringo tacos as a hill to die on. ("guacamole hidalgo" isn't worth an extra 1/2 point?)

Hehehe. surely. Hey, i love the authentic, I'm just not afraid to say I like the bastardized, er, I mean "fusion" ones just a bit more. Or, not even more, just, in a different way.
    don’t die on the boomer hill of authenticity that doesn’t exist. Die on shit that tastes good. Tacos and pizza have tons of weird fusion shit, some good, some bad, that are being plouged under for perceived authenticity. And re the op “real Mexico” was fusion shit post ~Columbus

the recipe I mentioned is pig (Eurasia) cooked with annato & mostly spices from the (America’s) wrapped in banana leaves (se Asia)

I had some Korean tacos that were badass.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    don’t die on the boomer hill of authenticity that doesn’t exist. Die on shit that tastes good. Tacos and pizza have tons of weird fusion shit, some good, some bad, that are being plouged under for perceived authenticity
    Al Pastor is such a traditional mexican cooking technique.

Speaking of authenticity, I listened to this show where they mention how squash seeds were one of the few fats used for cooking in Mexico before the arrival of the Spanish. I've been curious about that but haven't really dug into finding references for that statement.

Favorite Taco

No. Except for a VERY few exceptions, tacos are on corn tortillas. I believe fajitas are always(?) served on flour.
    Welp... here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Flour tortillas are traditional to northern Mexico regions since the Spanish introduced wheat to their culture. Not as traditional as cochinita pibil but I think the flour tortilla has earned its place.

If all you taco lovers haven't seen the Taco Chronicles series on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

Birria de Borrego Tacos
    La Paz mx

Name:	IMG_8372.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	887.3 KB 
ID:	424550

Goddammit. Now I'm hungry for tacos and frybread.
    Bread….does that make it a sandwich?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Welp... here we go again

If all you taco lovers haven't seen the Taco Chronicles series on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

Birria de Borrego Tacos
    La Paz mx

Name:	IMG_8372.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	887.3 KB 
ID:	424550
    That series is awesome.

I had something called a “sandwich” but was more of a tostado/taco thing in Minnesota that was made at an indigenous restaurant run by a guy called the Sioux Chef.

Mixtalized (sp?) corn tortilla, elk meat and local/non-introduced veggies and a wild rice beer. So fucking good

Name:	IMG_9888.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	672.1 KB 
ID:	424558

Tacos Herrera in Truckee. Nothing fancy, one item on the menu--beef taco with onion, cilantro, and some pretty hot sauce on the side, on soft corn tortillas. It's a food truck, parks down the street from me on Friday, expect to see every construction worker in town lined up.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Suckling pig with chicarrón and salsa verde from Lechonito de Oro.
    Attachment 424505

Attachment 424506
    Those look like some proper tortillas. There's a place in Sandy (House of Corn) that makes all their tortillas in-house from scratch using heirloom whole corn. Their meats are good but the tortillas are the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Al Pastor is such a traditional mexican cooking technique.
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Those look like some proper tortillas. There's a place in Sandy (House of Corn) that makes all their tortillas in-house from scratch using heirloom whole corn. Their meats are good but the tortillas are the shit.
    Thread drift from tacos.
    But yeah. I learned from the Mexicans that rolled up their tortillas and ate them like bread with an awesome bowl or plate of food.

Good tortillas are heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I had something called a “sandwich” but was more of a tostado/taco thing in Minnesota that was made at an indigenous restaurant run by a guy called the Sioux Chef.

Mixtalized (sp?) corn tortilla, elk meat and local/non-introduced veggies and a wild rice beer. So fucking good

Name:	IMG_9888.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	672.1 KB 
ID:	424558

If that’s at the restaurant, the site was the location of Fujiya - a Japanese restaurant for a long time. Google it, there is interesting history https://www.mngoodage.com/voices/mn-...japanese-food/My grandfather had to take off his shoes for a low table in 1960s Midwest. One of the first regional tepanyakki and then sushi. Nothing wild for now, but definitely a force for culinary expansion. Hope it continues