Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Taco

Favorite Taco

Abroad: tripe tacos at any street joint in Mazatlan were fucking fire!!
    Free apps? Hell yeah
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4732.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	564.8 KB 
ID:	424559
    Tacos were bomb

Name:	IMG_4734.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	424562

Stateside: just had tacos in White Salmon, WA. Sample platter of 5. Steelhead taco was off the chain! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3972.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	779.5 KB 
ID:	424580

Localish: if your passing through Moses Lake hit up the taco joint next to Lowes. Homemade tortillas. 🤤

Name:	IMG_3229.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	424561

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by SkiLyft; 08-23-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Best tacos and burritos I've ever had were in San Diego area. Don't know where I was, but several places. Just next level.

Aside from that, I've always had a special place in my heart for Betos in Ogden.

Favorite taco: Fish Taco

At the old school TexMex places I used to frequent in Austin while going to UT, eg Jorges (which is sadly gone now) they used to have a squeeze bottle of something resembling melted butter on the table that you’d lubricate your flour tortilla with before rolling it up and dipping into the chili con carne on the plate of TC Special enchiladas that you hungrily devoured while drinking some of the strongest margaritas known to man. God I miss those days, and Jorge’s.

Some of the best tacos I’ve found recently, are at a tiny taco shack called, creatively enough, Taqueria El Taco, here in Belton TX. They toast their tortillas on the grill right before assembling the tacos which makes a huge difference. The meat is incredible, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    If that’s at the restaurant, the site was the location of Fujiya - a Japanese restaurant for a long time. Google it, there is interesting history https://www.mngoodage.com/voices/mn-...japanese-food/My grandfather had to take off his shoes for a low table in 1960s Midwest. One of the first regional tepanyakki and then sushi. Nothing wild for now, but definitely a force for culinary expansion. Hope it continues
    Oh that’s cool. Definitely the same spot.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    +10 on Taco Chronicles. Fantastic series.

Some favorites:
    El Portal Auburn CA. Everyone swarms Maria's but the carnitas at El Portal are superior
    Super Taqueria San Jose CA.
    Xochi Issaquah - line gets crazy, they are pretty slow getting food out, but delish
    Taqueria El Asadero Seattle - memorable sopes

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    +10 on Taco Chronicles. Fantastic series.

Some favorites:
    El Portal Auburn CA. Everyone swarms Maria's but the carnitas at El Portal are superior
    Super Taqueria San Jose CA.
    Xochi Issaquah - line gets crazy, they are pretty slow getting food out, but delish
    Taqueria El Asadero Seattle - memorable sopes
    There’s a 24hr drive through taqueria now in auburn.

Keep it simple - shredded beef or strips of grilled fish, greens with (lots of) cilantro, grilled onions and chopped tomatoes on a fresh toasted, semi firm corn tortilla topped with a bit of cheese and salsa verde.

If it ain't got salsa Verde it's shit

I like the tacos from our local carniceria.

Sadly, we just got our first Taco Bell and people in this 45% Hispanic town of many awesome taco shops are actually excited.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    No Rojo for you

The orange sauce is always my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    I like the tacos from our local carniceria.

Sadly, we just got our first Taco Bell and people in this 45% Hispanic town of many awesome taco shops are actually excited.
    I have good memories as a kid of my Hispanic grandpa taking me and my sister to Taco Bell for gorditas before going across the tracks to my great grandmas house. She fled to the US during the revolution, pretty sure she didn't have any taco bell, but we ate nopales from her yard. Must have been around 98-99, which appears to be when they released the gordita.

Tacos

Can we get someone from the Upstates thread to rate that Chinette?

That's a pattern I've not yet seen.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Can we get someone from the Upstates thread to rate that Chinette?

That's a pattern I've not yet seen.
    Uh, doesn't look like Chinette to me…. probable not even edible. At the least it would give you some bad gas.

“Everything is a taco if you’re brave enough…”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

When offered a green tortilla
    I say no.

Cross posted from upstate. If you need a fish taco in Plattsburgh, the Naked Turtle is the place

Name:	B2BB6928-689F-427A-8FF5-63640096CCFC.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	424750

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Cross posted from upstate. If you need a fish taco in Plattsburgh, the Naked Turtle is the place

Name:	B2BB6928-689F-427A-8FF5-63640096CCFC.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	424750
    Hey neighbor accross the lake.

Hey neighbor accross the lake.
    I pointed out VT to my son. He waved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I pointed out VT to my son. He waved.
    Lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I have good memories as a kid of my Hispanic grandpa taking me and my sister to Taco Bell for gorditas before going across the tracks to my great grandmas house. She fled to the US during the revolution, pretty sure she didn't have any taco bell, but we ate nopales from her yard. Must have been around 98-99, which appears to be when they released the gordita.

When did they drop the chalupa?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Probably about the same time the Chicken Meximelt went to the ask-only menu, or at least when all Meximelts went the way of the Dodo for sure.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    don’t die on the boomer hill of authenticity that doesn’t exist. Die on shit that tastes good. Tacos and pizza have tons of weird fusion shit, some good, some bad, that are being plouged under for perceived authenticity. And re the op “real Mexico” was fusion shit post ~Columbus

the recipe I mentioned is pig (Eurasia) cooked with annato & mostly spices from the (America’s) wrapped in banana leaves (se Asia)
    Stumbled across a tab left open for this book that looks interesting:

The Italian political right is outraged by halal tortellini and a pork-free lasagna served at the Vatican. In India, Hindu fundamentalists organize attacks on Muslims who sell beef. European anti-immigrant politicians denounce couscous and kebabs. In an era of nationalist and exclusionary movements, food has become a potent symbol of identity. Why has eating become so politically charged—and can the emotions surrounding food be redirected in a healthier direction?

Fabio Parasecoli identifies and defines the phenomenon of “gastronativism,” the ideological use of food to advance ideas about who belongs to a community and who does not. As globalization and neoliberalism have transformed food systems, people have responded by seeking to return to their roots. Many have embraced local ingredients and notions of cultural heritage, but this impulse can play into the hands of nationalist and xenophobic political projects. Such movements draw on the strong emotions connected with eating to stoke resentment and contempt for other people and cultures.

Parasecoli emphasizes that gastronativism is a worldwide phenomenon, even as it often purports to oppose local aspects and consequences of globalization. He also explores how to channel pride in culinary traditions toward resisting transnational corporations, uplifting marginalized and oppressed groups, and assisting people left behind by globalization. Featuring a wide array of examples from all over the world, Gastronativism is a timely, incisive, and lively analysis of how and why food has become a powerful political tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Not sure, but after 1998. Pretty sure chalupas were involved the first time I was old enough to pick tunas and cut the thorns off on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Tacos

I wish I were clever enough to locate that place from just the skyline. How is it? Gonna be back in SLC in 2 weeks, I should check the SLC eats thread.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

I wish I were clever enough to locate that place from just the skyline. How is it? Gonna be back in SLC in 2 weeks, I should check the SLC eats thread.
    House of corn? I'm cheating, as I've ate there on a DTM recommendation before. It's good.