Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Medicare Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That seems expensive. My club/pool is $45 a month. You get free massages or something?
    It’s not a 20 yard ghetto pool

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/mofaVTsoU9Y

Perhaps someone can confirm this.

If you choose an Advantage plan instead of Traditional Medicare you cannot switch to Traditional Medicare later.

If you choose Traditional Medicare you can switch to an advantage plan later....
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^ I’ve been hearing that too. But then I hear the opposite. Or the answer depends. This is why I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Getting close to decision time. Anyone have any experience with Lasso MSA plans? On the surface it looks great, gotta be a catch.

https://lassohealthcare.com/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The Medicare Thread

It’s looks sorta like companies that give you money to take the high deductible plan. It incentivizes you to stay healthy and use less health care. Difference is MSA balance surplus never turns into an IRA type account. It always has a hefty tax penalty.

I don’t want incentives not to use healthcare. It’s dangerous in my experience.

Not sure about that, main reason why I asked.

So I pay my 12 months of $170.10 Part B premium which is $2041 and I am on the hook for my $233 annual deductible for a total of $2274.

I am given $ 2000.00 up front to spend and when that is gone before Lasso will pay 100% I need to eat up another $ 3000.00 in out of pocket. I currently have a HSA that is well funded to cover the 3K.

RE Penalties, "Note that MSA account withdrawals for qualified medical expenses are tax-free, while account withdrawals for non-medical expenses are subject to both income tax and a 50% tax penalty." "What happens to money left in a MSA at the end of the year?
    What if there's money left in my account at the end of the year? Any money left in your account at the end of the year will remain in your account. If you stay with the Medicare MSA Plan the following year, the new deposit will be added to any leftover amount."

RE: Incentive not to use Health Care. I see it as using HC wisely and not going to the Doctor for every thing. My biggest concern is what happens if I exceed my benefits and Lasso decides not to pay.

Thx.

That’s the risk with any insurance. At least a Medicare plan is federally approved.

According to them (Lasso) they are "federally approved".

That’s what I meant. Any Medicare supplement plan is federally approved.

Ah, got it.

Any options for a spa or pool club?

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Perhaps someone can confirm this.

If you choose an Advantage plan instead of Traditional Medicare you cannot switch to Traditional Medicare later.

If you choose Traditional Medicare you can switch to an advantage plan later....
    No, you can return to original medicare Jan 1 of any yr by simply applying for a Prt D plan during the annual open enrollment. You don’t even have to cancel your advantage plan, because you can only be on one or the other and medicare take your D ap as notice your dis enrolling from the advantage plan.

Now you are back on your original benefits, Part A and Prt B, and now the bills are going to medicare, not the advantage plan.

Where it gets tricky, is that when you apply for the Medicare supplement, you have to answer medical question now if you’ve been on that advantage plan for longer than a yr.

If you joined an advantage plan when first eligable for medicare at 65, you get a one yr trial on the advantage plan and are still guaranteed a supplement for a yr.
    Last edited by Cono Este; 09-22-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Long story short here.

You have 2 choices.

1. Original medicare, Plan G supplement, Prt D drug plan.

The best medical insurance you can have. Go to any doctor, never get hassled. But you pay extra every month for the supplement, but you also have almost no out of pocket.

No dental or extras.

2. Medicare advantage. Usually no additional month premium. Remember, your part B premium is 170 already. Small copays in plan instead. Must use network. Some dental vision gym membership.

Best deal.

When you are new to medicare you can choose whatever you want with no health questions.

Afterwards, in most cases, you will be answering health questions for a supplement. Like I explain above.

So, if you are not a healthy person, start on a supplement, especially if we’re talking cancer etc. you can always switch to advantage, they take everyone.

My mother is on a supplement and I’d pay it myself if she went broke. If you are a rich maggot heli skier buy the supplement and don’t look back. If you are a retired Starbucks worker, lots of value in the advantage plan, the extra shit adds up to, nothing wrong with it, but know the insurance company is paying the bill not medicare.

If you are a retired cockswain you just need A, B and Tricare. Nothing else. You can hang up on me.

I am not going into all the details but we have an Aetna Advantage plan with a $3,900 max out of pocket cost. No premium, has a drug plan, get $2000 for dental and $300 for glasses & contact lenses. No problem finding great providers including large University teaching hospitals. Max out of pocket is somewhat misleading as in 2020 due to two surgeries and an in hospital cardiac issue Aetna was billed $205,000 for my total care that year. They paid $22,000, my total out of pocket was $1,850. Point being it is difficult to get to the out of pocket max. The supplements I have looked at ranged from $200 - $350 a month. With dental and optical benefits exceeding my out of pocket in a year with substantial claims I don't see the benefit of having a supplement over an advantage plan.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That’s what I meant. Any Medicare supplement plan is federally approved.

Lasso does medicare advantage not supplements. This is the point of my existence., medicare advantage is also known as medicare replacement. They have a contract with medicare. Medicare sends them a fixed amount per month per beneficiary and nothing more or less. About $1000 per month. Where as with a supplement, providers are billing medicare direct and the govt is paying the bill. You’ll only notice it if you become really, really I’m with long hospital and nursing home stays. A lot of nursing homes don’t take medicare advantage, they get paid shit.

A medicare supplement coverage is standardized between companies. There is no difference just difference in price. So a G is a G no matter who it’s through. They are all accepted anywhere medicare is accepted. There are a couple of companies like aarp that thrown in the gym membership for free, so that gives them a big edge, at least around here.

Nothing wrong with advantage, but it’s not a supplement. Think of it as medicare replacement. And in case anyone is wondering, no, I make much, much more putting someone in a 0 premium advantage plan vs selling them a supplement. Like 2x as much.

I work in case management at a hospital serving a good chunk of hill people.
    They’ve all benefitted “well” from having the choice to (not) choose Medicare.
    Most common thing that becomes my problem is the people who don’t get Part D because they haven’t needed prescription meds before. Suddenly they end up needing a $500/month blood thinner or insulin and are convinced they’re being screwed by The Man.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Can you clearly say what they got that was better than Medicare once 65?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I work in case management at a hospital serving a good chunk of hill people.
    Most common thing that becomes my problem is the people who don’t get Part D because they haven’t needed prescription meds before. Suddenly they end up needing a $500/month blood thinner or insulin and are convinced they’re being screwed by The Man.

I love those people. They end up paying penalties too. You can get a part d for $7!- month too. They are Usually the first to complain why everything isn’t free by their age. Veterans are pretty bad too. They don’t take out there prt B, when I tell them they have too, they hang up on me. Later on, they end paying a penalty every month the rest of their lives. I actually took their cause to Washington DC, spoke with both republicans and democrats from my state, and none of them gave a shit that they were dicking disabled Vietnam veterans. Surprised I made it past the gate keepers though. I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Can you clearly say what they got that was better than Medicare once 65?
    Sarcasm.
    Our culture promotes the idea that choice is good. That the free market will win the day. The poor and uneducated are the ones who suffer. Actually, the kinda poor suffer. The real poor end up with Medicaid.

However many are in a shit ton.

Sarcasm.
    Our culture promotes the idea that choice is good. That the free market will win the day. The poor and uneducated are the ones who suffer. Actually, the kinda poor suffer. The real poor end up with Medicaid.

Not to make this political. But healthcare really explains how fucked up everything is. Basic medicare and a supplement is the only choice people should have in my opinion, it works great. It’s an example of how well a govt system can work. But at the end of the day, everyone likes a deal so medicare advantage is growing, and so are profits. It’s good we have both choices, but medicare advantage actually costs tax payers more money. I remember hearing paul ryan say his mother got “free trips” to a doctors office on MA. Shouldn’t that guy be giving his own mother a fucking ride? As in, the take care of your own attitude schmucks like him have

Again, not bagging on MA, just so long as you know what it is and why you are doing it. but when I hear people refer to it as a supplement it’s my job to correct them. Sold one today. 600 bucks, plus lifetime renewals of 300 a yr. United healthcare does not want me selling supplements when they. Can squeeze 1000 a month out of medicare. That’s why UNH is booming.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Not to make this political. But healthcare really explains how fucked up everything is. Basic medicare and a supplement is the only choice people should have in my opinion, it works great. It’s an example of how well a govt system can work. But at the end of the day, everyone likes a deal so medicare advantage is growing, and so are profits. It’s good we have both choices, but medicare advantage actually costs tax payers more money. I remember hearing paul ryan say his mother got “free trips” to a doctors office on MA. Shouldn’t that guy be giving his own mother a fucking ride? As in, the take care of your own attitude schmucks like him have

Again, not bagging on MA, just so long as you know what it is and why you are doing it. but when I hear people refer to it as a supplement it’s my job to correct them. Sold one today. 600 bucks, plus lifetime renewals of 300 a yr. United healthcare does not want me selling supplements when they. Can squeeze 1000 a month out of medicare. That’s why UNH is booming.
    So are you saying I should be in a supplement plan as opposed to an advantage plan because it saves the Govt money? As I said above I pay zero premium, get $2000 for dental, $300 for eye ware, gym membership etc. While you said it is more expensive for the Govt the advantage plans do accept a risk of agreeing to pay the costs regardless of what the cost for a particular patient is during that calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Not to make this political….
    It’s really easy not to do. Just shut the fuck up. It’s that easy.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I never thought I'd see a bunch of geezers talking about Medicare on TGR. sad so so sad

Wait till you see a similar thread on newschoolers.

It’ll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    So are you saying I should be in a supplement plan as opposed to an advantage plan because it saves the Govt money? As I said above I pay zero premium, get $2000 for dental, $300 for eye ware, gym membership etc. While you said it is more expensive for the Govt the advantage plans do accept a risk of agreeing to pay the costs regardless of what the cost for a particular patient is during that calendar year.
    One day you may place more priority on hospitalization and less on 300 in frames or contacts. Nothing wrong with an advantage plan. Just realize it’s not actual medicare and you don’t have a supplement, but most importantly most doctors and hospital prefer original medicare and things like skilled nursing, or physical therapy, a lot of people won’t take it or your choices are limited. . Your original benefits are suspended while you’re in the plan. You can return to Original medicare the 1st of any yr. You most likely will have to answer health questions for a supplement though.

Look, I’m not trying to scare anyone out of medicare advantage. I get paid a lot more to sell them, it’s the reason I can workout for two yrs through Covid. Lifetime earnings! Vs 6 yrs for a supp. I don’t fight it anymore. I just want people to understand it’s different.

I have to be direct because one of you grouchy fucks may have cancer and how the fuck will I know that? If you are very I’ll original medicare all day long. I’m a diabetic, so I’ve lived with the pre existing bullshit.

United healthcare offers free shit on the supplements. Gym, and if you are really cheap, or live in a rural place with limited services, , you can buy a high deductible supplement G for like $50. It’s a great choice. No agent will ever tell you about though when he can make like 3000 grand off you instead.
    Last edited by Cono Este; 09-27-2022 at 06:56 PM.