Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    RIP Scott Frost
    Prescient
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I know no one wants to admit it, but BYU - Baylor was a great game last night. Cougars are at Ducks in Eugene next week in a huge game for both teams.

I distinctly remember the last time a ranked BYU team came to play in Eugene. At the time the Ducks sucked and BYU was rated top 5 with Ty Detmer as the favorite for the heisman. Ducks pulled off a huge upset and that game was the start of the program turning it self around, season caped by a birth in the independence bowl. 1st bowl for the Ducks in a few decades.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

RIP Scott Frost
    I read that if they would have waited until Oct 1 to can him, his buyout price would have dropped from $15M down to $7.5M.

Man, they really wanted him gone!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I distinctly remember the last time a ranked BYU team came to play in Eugene. At the time the Ducks sucked and BYU was rated top 5 with Ty Detmer as the favorite for the heisman. Ducks pulled off a huge upset and that game was the start of the program turning it self around, season caped by a birth in the independence bowl. 1st bowl for the Ducks in a few decades.

I was there as a 12yo BYU fan growing up in Oregon. I was fairly indifferent to the Oregon schools. We sat with my dad's friend who was a Ducks booster. We were treated so badly by the fans, my dad has an irrational dislike for the Ducks and especially their fans. After HS, half my graduating class headed to Eugene, so I don't hold any hard feelings.

I'll be there again this time hoping for a better result than last time.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I was there as a 12yo BYU fan growing up in Oregon. I was fairly indifferent to the Oregon schools. We sat with my dad's friend who was a Ducks booster. We were treated so badly by the fans, my dad has an irrational dislike for the Ducks and especially their fans. After HS, half my graduating class headed to Eugene, so I don't hold any hard feelings.

Ducks by 10 but I bet the crowd won't be nearly as hostile. I was at that game watching Musgrave make Detmer look like a JV scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I read that if they would have waited until Oct 1 to can him, his buyout price would have dropped from $15M down to $7.5M.

Way off topic, most of the visiting fans who travel to Lincoln for games there say the locals there are excellent hosts, hardly any hostility, invite people walking by to partake in tailgate food and drink, make sure nobody's getting hassled in the stands, etc. I hope they can turn the program around and be competitive again soon. .. But not until after we (hopefully) beat them next weekend hahahaha!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Reminder:

Name:  Appalachian State Dont schedule.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  89.5 KB:
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Ducks by 10 but I bet the crowd won't be nearly as hostile. I was at that game watching Musgrave make Detmer look like a JV scrub.
    I was also at the game and barely in double digit age, but I know heathens when I see them. Crowd won’t be as hostile since I’m in upstate NY and won’t be at the game.

I dunno. Combine BYU’s recent Klan activity and Lanning’s calling for a fired up crowd yesterday, and you might get one of the loudest stadiums in college football.

Spread was down to 3.5 as of yesterday. I’m going deep on the Ducks. Autzen Stadium is not a friendly place for a bunch of bigoted assholes and I want to believe Lanning is also making progress with this talented roster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	426317  
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

^^^What's the elevation there? Sound carries a lit louder and farther at higher elevations where the air is thinner.

I was also at the game against Michigan that is referenced in that article. To this day I think I permanently messed up my voice from yelling so much during that game. These days if I go to a game I have to bring a duck call as my voice simply can’t yell for any sustained time at all. Go Ducks!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Way off topic, most of the visiting fans who travel to Lincoln for games there say the locals there are excellent hosts, hardly any hostility, invite people walking by to partake in tailgate food and drink, make sure nobody's getting hassled in the stands, etc. I hope they can turn the program around and be competitive again soon. .. But not until after we (hopefully) beat them next weekend hahahaha!
    Yup, they take pride in that reputation. That’s the main reason the fan base never really embraced Bo. They didn’t like his on-field temper. My folks are from NE and most of my extended family are still there. I’ve been to a few games, but not since the Dr Tom days.

I was hopeful for Frost, but he had his shot. Word from people I know in Lincoln is that he believed his own hype and acted accordingly.

2022 College Football Thread

Haven’t been to a game in years but back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and major applewhite was a qb for UT, NEB was in the Big 12. Texas hosted them at least twice when I was there. NB fans took that good sportsmanship rep pretty seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I was hopeful for Frost, but he had his shot. Word from people I know in Lincoln is that he believed his own hype and acted accordingly.
    I've always heard Frost is a bigtime asshole, as in thinks he's the shit and lets everyone know. That may have played well in Lincoln when he was their QB but not so much as their coach. I wonder if UCLA will bring him onto their staff?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

^^^What's the elevation there? Sound carries a lit louder and farther at higher elevations where the air is thinner.
    effectively nothing. Back in ‘03 the field house across the way was a de facto beer hall and everyone was drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I've always heard Frost is a bigtime asshole, as in thinks he's the shit and lets everyone know. That may have played well in Lincoln when he was their QB but not so much as their coach. I wonder if UCLA will bring him onto their staff?
    It didn’t, though. What a lot of people chose to forget was that he was never popular as a player. Part of that was because he was the local golden boy who chose to go to Stanford instead of NU, and he wasn’t welcomed back that warmly.

I think even if Oklahoma can't bet more than 6 wins this season Brent is safe.. He came in with a gutted staff and a bunch of starters transferring out..

But, how safe is Freeman at Notre Dame if they suck balls this season? I mean it's kinda weak to not give a new coach 3-4 years to get theri recruits in to their system, but some places roll heads way sooner than that..

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Our corporate Cox Communication rep is out of Lincoln and the Nebraska Athletic Department is a client. He told us that Scott Frost has a secret family that he keeps out of the public life and that it was going to ruin his career. We laughed, but we have also taken that to the bank the last several games, including Georgia Southern.

Secret family or not, thanks for the scrilla, Frost!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Our corporate Cox Communication rep is out of Lincoln and the Nebraska Athletic Department is a client. He told us that Scott Frost has a secret family that he keeps out of the public life and that it was going to ruin his career. We laughed, but we have also taken that to the bank the last several games, including Georgia Southern.

Secret family or not, thanks for the scrilla, Frost!
    Ha! This is a great theory. I'm going to run with it as well.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

After never having a winning season or making it to a bowl game, I'm surprised Frost wasn't canned earlier. Then Nebraska pays Georgia Southern $1.4M to show up in Lincoln and gets utterly embarrassed. Final straw for the boosters. Seems like that program has only gone downhill after they fired Pelini for a 9-3 season.

$15M buyout... I should have been a really shitty college football coach.

I always put an * next to anything BYU does because it's an advantage that all their students (and players) come in and start a year older than just bout every other school because of the Mormon mission stuff they have to do. It's an advantage that they're a year more mature. I do get that it's also a negative that they don't get people not willing to do the mission work and start a year later. But, it's like everyone's already a redshirt freshman coming in..

I always put an * next to anything BYU does because it's an advantage that all their students (and players) come in and start a year older than just bout every other school because of the Mormon mission stuff they have to do. It's an advantage that they're a year more mature. I do get that it's also a negative that they don't get people not willing to do the mission work and start a year later. But, it's like everyone's already a redshirt freshman coming in..
    Gettin those reps in for a year, yeah?

I still call it The Jake.

That's total BS. If that was true, they would be winning national championships more than they are. Every athlete who serves as a missionary struggles to get back physically, no matter how much they try to maintain while they are gone. While it may be a positive mentally, it's far outweighed physically. Also, most attend school for a year before serving as a missionary, so most true freshman either play as a true freshman or return having not played in 3 full seasons. If you think that's an advantage, it just means that you don't know much about high level sports.

That's total BS. If that was true, they would be winning national championships more than they are. Every athlete who serves as a missionary struggles to get back physically, no matter how much they try to maintain while they are gone. While it may be a positive mentally, it's far outweighed physically. Also, most attend school for a year before serving as a missionary, so most true freshman either play as a true freshman or return having not played in 3 full seasons. If you think that's an advantage, it just means that you don't know much about high level sports.
    It's also BS because between red-shirts and junior college transfers there are plenty of 23, 24 and 25 year old's playing college ball. I think it was Mike Moschetti who was 24 during his senior season at CU and turned 25 later that academic year. He got drafted into the MLB from high school and played for a few seasons before going back to college with all his eligibility left.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."