Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    That's total BS. If that was true, they would be winning national championships more than they are. Every athlete who serves as a missionary struggles to get back physically, no matter how much they try to maintain while they are gone. While it may be a positive mentally, it's far outweighed physically. Also, most attend school for a year before serving as a missionary, so most true freshman either play as a true freshman or return having not played in 3 full seasons. If you think that's an advantage, it just means that you don't know much about high level sports.
    It means I don't know about BYU "high level sports". Mentally and physically more mature. Out of shape? Maybe.. But it also seems that the tabernacle environment has fewer of them leaving early. They tend to have way more juniors and seniors on the team not leaving early for the draft. It's a bit of an advantage in some ways. Not enough to beat the 5*s at the flagship SEC, B1G and Big 12 school even when they are leaving early with more young bloods stepping up though..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It means I don't know about BYU "high level sports". Mentally and physically more mature. Out of shape? Maybe.. But it also seems that the tabernacle environment has fewer of them leaving early. They tend to have way more juniors and seniors on the team not leaving early for the draft. It's a bit of an advantage in some ways. Not enough to beat the 5*s at the flagship SEC, B1G and Big 12 school even when they are leaving early with more young bloods stepping up though..
    How do you think Saban would react if half his top recruits every year left for the Peace Corp for 2 years? He'd be ticked. That's because no coach who cares mostly about winning football would encourage his recruits to step away from the game for 2 years. Why? Because it makes team management a pain and any supposed mental and physical maturity they gain during the time away is not worth it.

I had friends who played various SPORTS, including football, at BYU prior to and again after their missions. Each of them said it took at least 1 year of dedicated training just to get back to where they were before they left.

If you want to tell yourself it's an advantage to feel better about a bunch of old, married balding dudes beating your team, go ahead. But don't come around trying to make that argument to others.

If you want to tell yourself it's an advantage to feel better about a bunch of old, married balding dudes beating your team, go ahead. But don't come around trying to make that argument to others.
    If they beat my team it will be because my team royally fucked up and got out coached.. I'm just pointing out what I see as a good thing about that routine. I bet way more of them earn their degrees too.. which is something I wish more of my teams kids could do.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    If they beat my team it will be because my team royally fucked up and got out coached.. I'm just pointing out what I see as a good thing about that routine. I bet way more of them earn their degrees too.. which is something I wish more of my teams kids could do.
    The degree aspect is definitely true. Most have no pro prospects so they stick around all the way to the end.

2022 College Football Thread

Cool scene in App St on Game Day today. They deserve if.

ND losing at the half 10-7 to Cal. Trouble in ND. They are giving Nebraska a run for their money. Urban Meyer to Nebraska rumors????

My Gophers rolling a really bad Colorado squad early.

Nebraska is too much of a crater for Urban to actually take that job.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

CU sucks ballz

App St on the last second Hail Mary

Boone is getting active tonight. They bout to fuck up that duck pond.
    swing your fucking sword.

Ya App State deserves the love. I'm still hoping my daughter decides to transfer there for her last 2 years.

No fucking way Urban is going to Lincoln, Nebraska.

And, who is this Toledo QB?! He a mad man.

Welcome to the schizophrenic world of the Oregon ducks. That was a beat down.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The tv broadcaster for ABCs Husky Game coverage just said “big Penix energy” - bet he cooked that up last night and couldn’t wait to drop it on air…

Edit: now he says “premature snapulation”… this guy is enjoying his last day on the job I guess

OMG the guy is RG3!!! Hahaha!!!
    Last edited by jfost; 09-17-2022 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding

Sort of sad watching Miami learn that Mario is actually a mediocre coach at best. He might be the best recruiter in the game but man, his offense is straight out of 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Ducks are definitely better than what they showed against Georgia. My Cougars were definitely over rated, but got their tails handed to them. They tried to make it a bit more of a game in the 4th, but the Ducks were too tough. Looking forward to watching the Ducks the rest of the year, especially when they crush the Utes.

Sort of sad watching Miami learn that Mario is actually a mediocre coach at best. He might be the best recruiter in the game but man, his offense is straight out of 1990.
    idk about best recruiter in the game but he definitely has no business running P5 powerhouses. terrible hire by miami.
    swing your fucking sword.

The beavers had a higher point differential plus they have a better record
    They're half way to bowl eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    The beavers had a higher point differential plus they have a better record
    They're half way to bowl eligibility
    The fact that Beaver fans measure success by bowl eligibility basically says it all.

It was sarcasm on the ignorance of 6 wins being bowl eligible
    IMO, it should be a minimum of 8 wins

Ducks are definitely better than what they showed against Georgia. My Cougars were definitely over rated, but got their tails handed to them. They tried to make it a bit more of a game in the 4th, but the Ducks were too tough. Looking forward to watching the Ducks the rest of the year, especially when they crush the Utes.
    Wait, there's a BYU fan on TGR?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Wait, there's a BYU fan on TGR?
    Crazy, I know. I actually joined the Powder Mag boards back when I was a student there.

How’d you sneak that by the honor code enforcement? Great game by the Ducks. Physically dominant. I’d love to see some more down the field plays. They only had the one deep ball to Franklin right when I was yelling at the TV for play action. Swamp rats and fuskies look pretty good too.

Looking forward to watching the Ducks the rest of the year, especially when they crush the Utes.
    You mean like last year???

I’m more worried about USC than I am the ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    You mean like last year???

I’m more worried about USC than I am the ducks.
    Watching the Utes this year, I think you should add UW to that list.

Let’s be honest, PAC 12 is a crapshoot this year, which is fun but unfortunate.

UU
    UO
    UW
    USC
    OSU
    WSU?

Any of these teams could beat each other on any given day right now.

PAC 12 almost always has that. Even in Oregon’s dominant years, they had plenty of different challengers. The Cougs always pull off at least one upset a year. It’s good to see the swamp rats putting up a good team. I’d love to see the fuskies lose every game every year, but they’re way too big of a school to stay bad although they tried. I’m surprised the Nerds have fallen on hard times. Shaw is a great coach. Maybe having to go to class hurts the team. I’m shocked at how bad Arizona school for usc rejects is. You’d think high school jocks would love to go to a party school. As usual the PAC will devour itself and the national media will say it sucks. I’m guessing the eventual champ has 3 losses.