Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1 for La Barbecue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Had Rudy's when I was down there last year. I thought it was pretty damn good.

Jester King is a cool trip, but maybe the teens would think it was lame. They have goats.

For the teens, there is a zip line at Lake Travis that I’ve heard is fun.
    https://www.ziplaketravis.com/

Park kids somewhere and go to Continental Clib in the afternoon, drink long necks and hear the best music ever

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Park kids somewhere and go to Continental Clib in the afternoon, drink long necks and hear the best music ever
    Tell me more. Sounds like my style.....

Overall I'm sure Austin is paid and sold like all the second tier hip spots. I'm well versed sadly.

But there's still some gems, some relics out there. I appreciate the tips. Just hoping for a nice afternoon/evening after driving for days cross country.

Teens are 13,15,16. Pretty mature for their ages. By that I mean hard to impress

There’s always hanging out with Stevie Ray while the bats fly out at dusk…and drinking Mad Dog Margaritas
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There’s always hanging out with Stevie Ray while the bats fly out at dusk…and drinking Mad Dog Margaritas
    ^^This guy gets it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Stiles Switch if you wanna hang out at the Emporium. Definitely watch the O'Bannon paint on the head scene before and after.
    Party at the moon tower!

Quote Originally Posted by natty dread View Post
    Party at the moon tower!
    I only came here to do two things…

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Tell me more. Sounds like my style.....
    Just google “Austin Music Venues” and you’ll find them all, plus maybe a schedule of how’s playing where on the dates you’ll be here.

Cactus Cafe has music and allows kids, as do Stubbs, I think. A little Cajun restaurant called Evangeline in south Austin also has music at times.

Call all the ladies "butterfly" and memorize this poem:

Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.[1]

Austin Texas whats good?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Just google “Austin Music Venues” and you’ll find them all, plus maybe a schedule of how’s playing where on the dates you’ll be here.

Cactus Cafe has music and allows kids, as do Stubbs, I think. A little Cajun restaurant called Evangeline in south Austin also has music at times.
    Wait hold a sec, Evangeline? I’m sending this to my ex who’s from Austin and happily moved back there a few years ago. If they a proper Acadian joint, that’s awesome. Most any “Cajun” joints that way just copy up N O and call it good. NTTAWWT. Interesting.

One other recommendation: anything associated with bob cole is some bullshit. That dude is like if Johnny furious became some kind of fake icon of your town but worse. Broken spoke? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……. I mean…… do get acts….

“Uh, hey folks bob cole here, wanted to ramble on about a restaurant or other activity thing that I own that’s been an “Austin tradition” ever since I stopped being a shitty classic rock DJ and inexplicably got a morning talk gig and a barbecue plate. Though, after taking some weight loss promo gig, you know, those loveable DJ promos, about how my “friends” at ‘whatever’ weight loss center made me look more like an orca than a blue, ive just been so Texan, so Austin, so cool.” Anything with that fat greasy fucks name touching it,avoid.

Wish I would even known the word “hipster” whe I was an undergrad at UT. Lol. I called it “Austin cool” back then. That pain of knowing how much cooler you are.

Was there last year. Still a cool town.

Enjoy. PM me for weed.

Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 08-21-2022 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Wait hold a sec, Evangeline? I’m sending this to my ex who’s from Austin and happily moved back there a few years ago. If they a proper Acadian joint, that’s awesome. Most any “Cajun” joints that way just copy up N O and call it good. NTTAWWT. Interesting.

Evangeline Cafe has more of a Lake Charles vibe than New Orleans. Their “Oysters Contraband” is insanely great, fried oysters on homemade potato chips and remolade sauce.

The gumbo is very dark and intense, and may take some getting used to. My wife and kids didn’t like it. Said it tasted like burnt motor oil. But I developed a taste for it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post

One other recommendation: anything associated with bob cole is some bullshit.

The one place I’m familiar with that played up the Bob Cole angle was Hill’s Cafe. They actually had pretty decent hamburgers and the sizzling steaks weren’t bad either. They had booths dedicated to various Austin celebrities. Pretty sure I sat in the Bob Cole booth at one time or another.

Hill’s unfortunately closed a few years ago, before even the pandemic hit. I think they had just gone out of style for the new generation of hipsters in the ATX.

Another regrettable loss was Threadgills. They finally shut down their last location during the pandemic, but they’d been losing customers for awhile, too. Same issue with hipsters gravitating away from chicken fried steaks and comfort food. I sure miss their fried green tomatoes, though.

Austin Texas whats good?

I hope Bobs doing well but, ha, yeah, that’s right, the fucking Hills Cafe.

Hey folks BobColeHereWannaTellYou about an. AUSTIN T RA DITION TheHillsCafe! Yes, the HillsCafe!! I’m part owner and get cheap advertising so go there and help ol Bobby keep livin fat off telling you what Austin tradition is.

Dude also owned part of that place The Tavern on Lamar IIRC. Watched a bunch of Hockey there back in the day. One of the last holdouts of maintaining a smoking section back when the ban hammer was dropping on that.

He was on the damn radio with Sam Allred every morning I hated Bob but still listened every damn morning lol.

Dude also made Bill Millers stop serving “The Bob Cole Plate” during his years as a lighter person.

Never saw the Geezinslaws with Sam and Son lol. Bummer looks like Sammy died in 2018. RIP.

Threadgills is a bummer. Pandemic also took Dart Bowl which may have had the best cheese enchiladas in town.

Last time I was there, I got the meat sweats from all the BBQ I ate around town. If I had teenagers I'd for sure drop them off at Franklins early in the morning and tell them to text me when they are near the front of the line.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    No drive across Texas is complete without a stop at the roadside attraction known as Buc-ees. Part convenience store, but bigger than any conv. store anywhere else (120 gas pumps?), part TX kitsch, part roadside food -- and decent enough hot food for breakfast and lunch. People stand in line to use the restrooms, which is very wierd to see in real life.

Evidently if you find yourself in Texas and are driving to or from a lake (extra credit with with a boat in tow), you're on a fishing trip or a hunting trip, or you need ice or a new cooler with a handle and wheels, you need to stock up on cold beer or chilled wine, or you are driving the bus for a cheerleading squad, a little league team, a soccer club, or are any middle school bus trip, or any other kind of group trip (extra credit if every middle-aged woman has a tee-shirt with "Annual Central Texas we Left Our Husbands at Home for a Weekend Girls Trip 2022"), are just out for a family drive to see Texas through a car windshield, you're low on ammo or paper targets for your shooting practice, you're hauling your kids stuff to or from a college dorm room, or maybe you need to fill your gas tank for when you're hauling ass at 90 MPH (just to keep up with the other traffic) on I-35 or I-10, .... its required that you stop here.

It's really hard to put in words the complete mix of humanity you see at these places. Which is part of the attraction of stopping in.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

More extra credit if “this Bucees has a Stuckys”

^ Translation, for us non-texans?
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Austin Texas whats good?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    ^ Translation, for us non-texans?
    So Stuckeys was like that but really before and just after the interstates were built. They had a bunch of locations and you’ll still see abandoned ones today. Buc ees is somehow associated like the same parent company or something. They somewhat revived the Stuckeys brand and they for some time had a co-branding kind of thing at one or more of the locations. There were then billboards that said “This Buc ees has a Stuckeys” and I think they were trying to make the Stuckeys brand associate with sandwiches.

Now I prolly got that mostly wrong because I’m going from memory but oh well… that’s how I remember it. For one reason or another, they had those billboards.

Austin doesn’t even have a Bucc-ee, although they are in Bastrop, Temple, and San Marcos. So you might encounter one depending on which way you come. Personally, I don’t see the attraction people have for the place, but my wife likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Austin doesn’t even have a Bucc-ee, although they are in Bastrop, Temple, and San Marcos. So you might encounter one depending on which way you come. Personally, I don’t see the attraction people have for the place, but my wife likes it.
    Agree on don't see the attraction. But every native Texan seems to love them, it's part of the routine of long drives across the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Agree on don't see the attraction. But every native Texan seems to love them, it's part of the routine of long drives across the state.
    In my day, the routine was to see how far you could get before stopping at the DQ and getting a dipped cone and a drink.

I always loved a Torchy’s Taco run. Also, SLAB was another solid lunch spot and would recommend the Texas Trill or DONK if you are looking to feel husky.