Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Park kids somewhere and go to Continental Clib in the afternoon, drink long necks and hear the best music ever
    This is your answer right here. I would also recommend a stop at Baby Acapulco for a purple margarita - don’t get 2 or it will be your last stop.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Austin doesn’t even have a Bucc-ee, although they are in Bastrop, Temple, and San Marcos. So you might encounter one depending on which way you come. Personally, I don’t see the attraction people have for the place, but my wife likes it.
    It's good for having the most reliably cheapest gas prices around and by far the cleanest restrooms ever seen in a gas station. Worth the pit stop for those two things alone. Oh. And their hot candied nuts are pretty good too. It is hilarious witnessing the fandom about the place tho.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I was reminiscing my meat sweats from Austin this morning and trying to remember where we went....

Micklethwait for BBQ and best sides around, especially the cheesy grits. I think they are on vacation for most of August though
    La Barbecue for brisket, word on the street is the owners got busted for insurance scheme and might be closing. owners are drunks and criminals I guess.
    Can't remember where else I went

A local who used to own Franks in Austin is raving about the new hot Austin BBQ place - Interstellar. I've met him as he's good buddies with my friend who is a huge foodie BBQ guy. Haven't been to Interstellar but all Austin reco's by these two have been on point.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    It's good for having the most reliably cheapest gas prices around and by far the cleanest restrooms ever seen in a gas station. Worth the pit stop for those two things alone. Oh. And their hot candied nuts are pretty good too. It is hilarious witnessing the fandom about the place tho.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    The candied jalepenos are pretty good too. We drive by the one outside Luling on the way to the parents in Victoria from Austin. I have made that drive so many times. Only stop if it's not insanely busy for a quick restroom break. They closed the smaller one is Gonzales once the larger one opened at the interchange there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    I always loved a Torchy’s Taco run. Also, SLAB was another solid lunch spot and would recommend the Texas Trill or DONK if you are looking to feel husky.
    I admit I like Slab too. There was one walking distance from my house, so it was in regular rotation. But, as a friend of mine, who is a BBQ snob, pointed out, at the Slab, it is all about the sauce, rather than the smoked meat.

Torchy’s is also good, but Taco Deli is a bit better IMHO.

La Barbecue for the brisket
    Pinthouse for beer
    Veracruz for tacos
    Whip In - for Indian and great beer selection
    Polvos for tex mex
    is this thing on?

Tamale House East for Mom's Migas

ROSIE’S Tamale House on Airport?

With the possible exception of that duck thing, these are the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    ROSIE’S Tamale House on Airport?
    That's the one!

I have had duck (pato) tacos in Jalisco that were amazing…

Will have to give Taco Deli a go next time I am in town.

Agreed on Slab, not the best Q in terms of meats but I like the way it all comes together in a nice fat sandwich.

Appreciate all the tips. Gonna eat well. Interstellar sounds pretty perfect. Does anyone do beef ribs?

Okay, so we're arriving on a Thursday and I want to jump in some cold clean water to wash off after camping my way across the whole desert west. I'm reading that Barton Springs Pool is sweet but closed in Thursday for cleaning. Then I read that you can swim in the river just outside the pool in the spring water there? Anybody confirm this?

Is there a better spot for a family car of desert gypsies to drop in for a Thursday bath??

Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee View Post
    Will have to give Taco Deli a go next time I am in town.

Agreed on Slab, not the best Q in terms of meats but I like the way it all comes together in a nice fat sandwich.
    Yeah, their sandwich creations are indeed tasty at the Slab.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Appreciate all the tips. Gonna eat well. Interstellar sounds pretty perfect. Does anyone do beef ribs?

Okay, so we're arriving on a Thursday and I want to jump in some cold clean water to wash off after camping my way across the whole desert west. I'm reading that Barton Springs Pool is sweet but closed in Thursday for cleaning. Then I read that you can swim in the river just outside the pool in the spring water there? Anybody confirm this?

Is there a better spot for a family car of desert gypsies to drop in for a Thursday bath??
    It’s more like wading right next to the pool, although there’s some deeper water down stream a bit. But the water down there is no where near the same quality as in the pool. You’re not supposed to swim in Ladybird Lake itself, but I see people swim in that inlet to Barton Creek all the time. The kids also jump off the pedestrian bridge all the time, even though there’s signs saying not to.

It’s more like wading right next to the pool, although there’s some deeper water down stream a bit. But the water down there is no where near the same quality as in the pool. You’re not supposed to swim in Ladybird Lake itself, but I see people swim in that inlet to Barton Creek all the time. The kids also jump off the pedestrian bridge all the time, even though there’s signs saying not to.
    Also, depending on how much rain there has been, if Barton Creek is flowing, there are several swimming holes upstream from the pool. The whole greenbelt trail system is worth exploring. If you go to the TacoDeli location on Barton Skyway (1500 Spyglass) and find a place to park on the street (not in their lot). There is an entrance to the greenbelt right there. Go down hill to the creek, and then downstream from there about 50yds is a cool waterfall with little pools you can sit it, depending on the flow.
    Last edited by billyk; 08-27-2022 at 07:35 AM.

Also, depending on how much rain there has been, if Barton Creek is flowing, there are several swimming holes upstream from the pool. The whole greenbelt trail system is worth exploring. If you go to the TacoDeli location on Barton Skyway (1500 Spyglass) and find a place to park on the street (not in their lot). There is an entrance to the greenbelt right there. Go down hill to the creek, and then downstream from there about 50yds is a cool waterfall with little pools you can sit it, depending on the flow.
    muito obrigado!