Views:	93 
Size:	850.1 KB 
ID:	427579
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E4F3666-BA3A-4EBD-9413-FB5547EFBDAA.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	819.5 KB 
ID:	427580
    sideways pics, fack. Anyways took about 5 hours to make this sandwich which is ridiculous but it’s worth it. In New Orleans there is a restaurant called Turkey and the Wolf and I had this triple decker Swiss cheese melt on rye with coleslaw, Russian dressing and collard greens there. I bought the recipe book and today made it myself. It is incredible.

^^ That does look good! Can you add pics of pages 178 & 225 for the rest of the recipe?

I’m not sure about totally replacing the pastrami with collard greens, but willing to try it as-is first.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    ^^ That does look good! Can you add pics of pages 178 & 225 for the rest of the recipe?

I’m not sure about totally replacing the pastrami with collard greens, but willing to try it as-is first.
    I'm sure it would taste ridiculously good with pastrami and be much quicker to make. I'm winning serious points with my southern wife learning how to cook great collard greens, and the sandwich is spectacular with it though. Here's the other pages

Name:	recipe.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	428147

Name:	dress.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	935.8 KB 
ID:	428148

Name:	greens.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	428149

Shopping for all this is a commitment too. I had to order some items on Amazon when I couldn't find it locally.

Another sandwich 'recipe' from the book, as we have a ton of large tomatos becoming ripe from the garden and I need new ideas on how to eat them. A simple twist on the classic southern tomato sandwich. The white bread i used was good but I REALLY need to find slices that are texas-toast thick next time.

I pan toasted both sides of the bread in a cast iron skillet, then added Dukes mayo and also roasted sunflower seed to each inside slice. Then the cored tomato goes on and doused with salt/pepper. Then added dill, tons of basil from the garden, and a shit load of fresh lemon juice. Easy and quick. I've never called a sandwich refreshing before but this one was. Pretty good!

Name:	tomo2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	428151

Name:	tomo1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	428152

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Another sandwich 'recipe' from the book, as we have a ton of large tomatos becoming ripe from the garden and I need new ideas on how to eat them. A simple twist on the classic southern tomato sandwich. The white bread i used was good but I REALLY need to find slices that are texas-toast thick next time.

I pan toasted both sides of the bread in a cast iron skillet, then added Dukes mayo and also roasted sunflower seed to each inside slice. Then the cored tomato goes on and doused with salt/pepper. Then added dill, tons of basil from the garden, and a shit load of fresh lemon juice. Easy and quick. I've never called a sandwich refreshing before but this one was. Pretty good!

Name:	tomo2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	428151

Name:	tomo1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	428152
    Great idea - I've also currently got a metric shitload of tomatoes coming in from the garden, and am always looking for good ways to use them. BLT's, tomato salads, caprese, tomato bisque, gazpacho - still seems like I can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm sure it would taste ridiculously good with pastrami and be much quicker to make. I'm winning serious points with my southern wife learning how to cook great collard greens, and the sandwich is spectacular with it though. Here's the other pages

Name:	recipe.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	428147

Name:	dress.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	935.8 KB 
ID:	428148

Name:	greens.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	428149

Shopping for all this is a commitment too. I had to order some items on Amazon when I couldn't find it locally.
    Got distracted by other things. Thanks for following up. I need to try that, for sure! In fact, I need to order that cookbook!

A lot of Reuben like sandwiches call for buttering the outside of the bread slices, and then toasting them in a pan to get that golden brown goodness.

I ran across a video that suggests using mayo instead of butter to do the same thing. Tried it out, and it is actually pretty good. Doesn’t taste all that much like mayo after the browning, and feels a little lighter, and maybe slightly healthier?

Mayo is mostly oil, so it works on things like grilled cheese, for ex (though doesn't taste buttery). It's also good slathered on fish then broiled, the mayo disappears.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm in mayo heart camp. So underutilized.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mayo is mostly oil, so it works on things like grilled cheese, for ex (though doesn't taste buttery). It's also good slathered on fish then broiled, the mayo disappears.
    Yes on using on fish. Put some cayenne and a few drops of sesame oil in some mayo and spread on ahi before searing. Muy bueno
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I need to make a pilgrimage to Turkey and the Wolf.

Duke's > All other mayo.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I need to make a pilgrimage to Turkey and the Wolf.

Duke's > All other mayo.
    Kewpie > Duke's

FACT.

Favorite sandwich?

Homemade > Kewpie > Duke’s

FACT
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Hellman’s…

counter fact.

Favorite sandwich?

Are we talking domestic Kewpie or imported Kewpie? The imported stuff has that angel dust in it…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Edited for spelling….
    Last edited by nickwm21; 10-07-2022 at 06:11 AM.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Are we talking domestic Kewpie or imported Kewpie? The imported stuff has that angle dust in it…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I done angel dust but I ain't never heard of no angle dust.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I done angel dust but I ain't never heard of no angle dust.
    Some day you'll turn the mayo corner.

Hellman's is one of the many victims of corporate cost savings. They changed the recipe years ago.

muted, where are you getting Duke's in Utah? Or are you ordering online? Duke's > US Kewpie

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Hellman's is one of the many victims of corporate cost savings. They changed the recipe years ago.

muted, where are you getting Duke's in Utah? Or are you ordering online? Duke's > US Kewpie
    Smiths, oddly enough.

I get my Kewpie from Japan. I make my own aioli at home, domestically. And I do add MSG, which I buy on Amazon.

Kings sells msg. It's with the rest of the seasoned salt and whatnot. It's called Accent Flavor Enhancer
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Kewpie > Duke's

FACT.
    I've been using Kewpie lately and it's the best mayo I've had, I know that much.

Alright, now I need to try me some of that there angle dust you guys are talking so much about.

Name:	blt.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	429027
    BLT with Vidalia pickled onions, which have a great strong sweet taste. Bread is sourdough from a local french bakery, V+R. Tomatoes from the garden, bacon from the butcher. Russian dressing and some Dukes mayo too.

Ghosthop you know any good bread bakeries in SLC? Looking for a good marble rye.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Alright, now I need to try me some of that there angle dust you guys are talking so much about.
    Kewpie is really an addition to your condiment quiver, rather than a Hellmans or Dukes replacement. It contains mustard and msg, and is quite a bit thicker than traditional Euro/American mayo.