Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    It's like pizza, there are different interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    It's like pizza, there are a lot of bad interpretations.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    It's like pizza, there are wrong interpretations.
    Fify

not laying a claim, just providing some reference for the provincial use of the name..

It's a Manwich!

Manwich marketing is probably responsible for a lot of the confusion.

We have a Jewish deli here in SLC called Feldman's, the owner is a New jersey transplant, and his signature sandwich is the Sloppy Joe and it is fucking amazing.

Name:  joey.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  200.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    So how on Earth did Sloppy Joe Sandwich come to mean a chili style meat sauce on a bun? Because the latter is nothing like what's described above.
    Sounds like this rendition is an imposter...

So how on Earth did Sloppy Joe Sandwich come to mean a chili style meat sauce on a bun?
    My 1st exposure to a Sloppy Joe was the "food" served in about 5th grade from the lunch-ladies. And it wasn't so much chili style meat as it was the same sauce combo (with a bit more of some sort of meat) that they put on noodles and called spaghetti.

I have no idea what that sammy above is but I would try it in a heartbeat. (Corn Beef/Pastrami & coleslaw?)
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    We have a Jewish deli here in SLC called Feldman's, the owner is a New jersey transplant, and his signature sandwich is the Sloppy Joe and it is fucking amazing.

Was waiting for muted to post up Feldman's sloppy joe because it is one of the best sandwiches in SLC - I'm stuck in Chicago, otherwise I'd be tempted to go down to Feldman's to grab one myself.

Combination Italian beef with hot and sweet peppers from Mr. Beef is the best sandwich I've had in Chicago.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Was waiting for muted to post up Feldman's sloppy joe because it is one of the best sandwiches in SLC - I'm stuck in Chicago, otherwise I'd be tempted to go down to Feldman's to grab one myself.

Combination Italian beef with hot and sweet peppers from Mr. Beef is the best sandwich I've had in Chicago.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    God bless you for getting hots and sweets.
    You need both.

Chicago Italian beef is sublime

Portillo does mail order Italian beef in a box if you get a craving back home.

PS. Go to mannys deli on Roosevelt. Full on fkna Jew food. Kishke kreplack matzo ball soup with a pastrami and corned beef on rye. Drool

PPS. Get a Maxwell street pork chop sandwich. They moved a bit west but it still exists.

Yes indeed it is… that’s money. This Feldman, he knows his craft.

I'd hit that.

I found a Jewish deli in Portland that does these sandwiches, so I think I have lunch plans now.

I’m assuming if you’re reading this thread that you’re a sandwich fan… if you’re ever in NYC, you must go to Parisi Bakery on Mott Street. They’re famous for “The Dennis”. My favorite is a chicken cutlet, fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers and balsamic vinegar on a hero.

Shout out to @gravitylover for recommending this place to me about 18 years ago when we both worked in the neighborhood.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

My kid's in the city I just texted him that^^ I hope he goes and reports back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    So as a follow up while I had a few minutes I found this on the website of the Deli where those were from. The Town Hall Deli in South Orange.:

Town Hall Deli opened in 1927. Its original home was on South Orange Avenue, a few doors away from the actual Town Hall; hence the name, Town Hall Delicatessen. The Deli was purchased in the 1930's from the original owner by Fred Joost and Hans Tiedeman; later Heinz Berdorf became Fred Joost's partner..... many villagers today still remember Fred and Heinz.

During the 1930's, Mayor Sweeney, the then-Mayor of Maplewood, visited Havana, Cuba. At the time, Cuba was still open to American tourism. While there, he visited Sloppy Joe's Bar and Eatery. Ernest Hemingway and other famous figures frequented Joe's. The proprietor, Joe, was well-known for the disarray in the Bar in additon to being a famous hang-out- alas, the nickname "Sloppy" Joe! READ MORE

While the Mayor was at Joe's in Cuba, he developed a taste for a sandwich that he had never had before. In fact, he loved it so much that when he returned to the US, he asked Fred and Heinz to duplicate the recipe to serve at his weekly card game. It was made with cole slaw, ham, cow tongue, swiss cheese, with lots of dressing and was served on thin rye bread. Hence, the origin of the Sloppy Joe sandwich and how Town Hall Deli of South Orange became The Birthplace of the Sloppy Joe!

Today, Sloppy Joes are made in a wide variety, using any two meats and a cheese of your choice, although there are many standard combinations too, if you do not know what you want. There are even meat-free choices. Although Town Hall Deli is famous across the country for inventing the Sloppy Joe, it is first and foremost a Delicatessen in the traditional style, serving quality storemade products for every meal, and specialty favorite desserts like Cheesecake, Brownies, and Rice Pudding. Town Hall Deli even makes their own preservative-free mayonnaise which is used in the salads and on the sandwiches!
    Oh, man, bizarro world! Next thing you’ll tell me it’s not spelled Berenstein Bears!

Leftover turkey and swiss on SD is pretty guut.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Was waiting for muted to post up Feldman's sloppy joe because it is one of the best sandwiches in SLC - I'm stuck in Chicago, otherwise I'd be tempted to go down to Feldman's to grab one myself..
    Ha, I live a few blocks away from Feldmans. Maybe I can do a sandwich delivery with some broth next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Yes indeed it is… that’s money. This Feldman, he knows his craft.
    It's definitely sloppy, and definitely tasty. Most people say 'holy shit' after eating their first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I found a Jewish deli in Portland that does these sandwiches, so I think I have lunch plans now.
    You found a non-vegetarian Jewish deli out there?

You found a non-vegetarian Jewish deli out there?
    Yeah. There is a vegan deli that has a couple locations, but there are at least two non-veg ones that I know of. The one I’m hoping to make it to is a hole-in-the-wall type of place in a nice neighborhood that’s been around for years, which seems promising.

http://www.kornblattsdelipdx.com/

Want!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Yeah. There is a vegan deli that has a couple locations, but there are at least two non-veg ones that I know of. The one I’m hoping to make it to is a hole-in-the-wall type of place in a nice neighborhood that’s been around for years, which seems promising.

http://www.kornblattsdelipdx.com/
    Could be good!

Was there a Portlandia episode on vegan Jewish delis? There should be, that shit in theory is kinda funny. Not to make fun of the food, but the people making a vegan Reuben. Owner below seems nice but Portlandia could roast the concept of him easily, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd7OTRzDyb_/

I have nothing to compare it to, but this was pretty tasty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	436218

Went for corned beef, pastrami, and Swiss on rye.

Could be good!

Was there a Portlandia episode on vegan Jewish delis? There should be, that shit in theory is kinda funny. Not to make fun of the food, but the people making a vegan Reuben. Owner below seems nice but Portlandia could roast the concept of him easily, right?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd7OTRzDyb_/
    Potentially very funny. I wonder if Portlandia accepts spec scripts. Somebody should write it up and s submit it.

I have nothing to compare it to, but this was pretty tasty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0389.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	436218

Went for corned beef, pastrami, and Swiss on rye.
    Served cold or can you get the bottom half hot and melted with toasted bread?