Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I did do the math once. I think they were about 230-250 cals/ea, mostly carbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    neva do math on waffles
    I gotta do the math. If I don't have numbers I can't have the food.

Favorite? I’d consider north jersey to be ground zero in the sandwich universe- in the top of my rotation would have to be our version of the sloppy Joe Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6922.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	435591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6921.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	435592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6923.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	435593

Is that roast beef n motherfucking pastrami?

Fact

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The first pic looks like pastrami and ham and the third looks like ham and turkey. Is that coleslaw on there? What’s the dressing?

Layers of
    Russian dressing
    Coleslaw
    Swiss cheese
    Various meats interspersed

A judicial layer of butter on the white bread keeps the Russian out

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    A judicial layer of butter on the white bread keeps the Russian out

Does the butter file for an injunction?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Favorite sandwich?

That sandwich looks … gross. Why mix meats? Then try to cover up the flavor fuckup with sauces and butter and stick it between too much bread?

While that looks potentially messy, and probably tasty, I have a hard time categorizing that sandwich as a “sloppy joe”.

Favorite sandwich?

This was a post turkey day meal a large gathering most who’d not heard of this and they were in agreement - this particular example wasn’t very sloppy. Tasty, yes, sloppy , no.
    Last edited by Aldo; 11-27-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Had an amazing Cuban at a place in ATL. Forgot how much I like those.

Corned beef and pastrami is a classic.

Meat mixing is fine by me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sammy.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	923.3 KB 
ID:	435824

Roasted & shaved turkey (from home of course), leaf lettuce, turkey bacon, goat gouda, little bit of finely sliced tomato (homegrown), mayo. On toasted rye.
    Sort of a clubhouse, but better.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    This was a post turkey day meal a large gathering most who’d not heard of this and they were in agreement - this particular example wasn’t very sloppy. Tasty, yes, sloppy , no.
    No need to defend yourself. Those things look great. And I used to be a certified sandwich artist so I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    No need to defend yourself. Those things look great. And I used to be a certified sandwich artist so I should know.
    Well, it was described as a NJ take on “sloppy joes”.

I seldom nitpick, but a sloppy joe is already a well-defined sandwich category consisting of ground meat of some kind, in a bbq sauce or similar, on a bun.

Those sandwiches look delicious (probably), but in no way qualify as sloppy joes. Sliced meat wth Russian dressing and cole slaw on bread is more like a Rueben or a Rachel.

I don’t know if it’s going to be my favorite, but for dinner tonight I am following a recipe for Bodega Chopped Cheese sandwiches.

I'm not big on middle bread but Aldo's sandwiches look tasty.

I probably said this earlier n the thread but if I don't remember you sure don't so I'll say it again: The Reuben is the best sandwich. But only if they're done right, and they're way easier to fuck up than to make right. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

I seldom nitpick, but a sloppy joe is already a well-defined sandwich category consisting of ground meat of some kind, in a bbq sauce or similar, on a bun.

Those sandwiches look delicious (probably), but in no way qualify as sloppy joes. Sliced meat wth Russian dressing and cole slaw on bread is more like a Rueben or a Rachel.
    Well, it is New Jersey so everything they do is a little iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I don’t know if it’s going to be my favorite, but for dinner tonight I am following a recipe for Bodega Chopped Cheese sandwiches.
    I love chopped cheese almost as much as a good cheesesteak.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post

I love chopped cheese almost as much as a good cheesesteak.
    They turned out pretty damn good. Better than a burger in my book, for sure. But, definitely behind a well executed cheesesteak or Reuben.

Fuck. Now I want a Reuben for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

So as a follow up while I had a few minutes I found this on the website of the Deli where those were from. The Town Hall Deli in South Orange.:

Town Hall Deli opened in 1927. Its original home was on South Orange Avenue, a few doors away from the actual Town Hall; hence the name, Town Hall Delicatessen. The Deli was purchased in the 1930's from the original owner by Fred Joost and Hans Tiedeman; later Heinz Berdorf became Fred Joost's partner..... many villagers today still remember Fred and Heinz.

During the 1930's, Mayor Sweeney, the then-Mayor of Maplewood, visited Havana, Cuba. At the time, Cuba was still open to American tourism. While there, he visited Sloppy Joe's Bar and Eatery. Ernest Hemingway and other famous figures frequented Joe's. The proprietor, Joe, was well-known for the disarray in the Bar in additon to being a famous hang-out- alas, the nickname "Sloppy" Joe! READ MORE

While the Mayor was at Joe's in Cuba, he developed a taste for a sandwich that he had never had before. In fact, he loved it so much that when he returned to the US, he asked Fred and Heinz to duplicate the recipe to serve at his weekly card game. It was made with cole slaw, ham, cow tongue, swiss cheese, with lots of dressing and was served on thin rye bread. Hence, the origin of the Sloppy Joe sandwich and how Town Hall Deli of South Orange became The Birthplace of the Sloppy Joe!

Today, Sloppy Joes are made in a wide variety, using any two meats and a cheese of your choice, although there are many standard combinations too, if you do not know what you want. There are even meat-free choices. Although Town Hall Deli is famous across the country for inventing the Sloppy Joe, it is first and foremost a Delicatessen in the traditional style, serving quality storemade products for every meal, and specialty favorite desserts like Cheesecake, Brownies, and Rice Pudding. Town Hall Deli even makes their own preservative-free mayonnaise which is used in the salads and on the sandwiches!

So how on Earth did Sloppy Joe Sandwich come to mean a chili style meat sauce on a bun? Because the latter is nothing like what's described above.

https://www.tastingtable.com/968736/...he-sloppy-joe/

This article and others seem to suggest different joe, different sandwich.