Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    @KC based on what you're lab testing has shown so far on the U108, can you make a guess as to how a U98 v mFree 99 shootout might look? Like you did I've got the 179 mF99 but would like a similar shape with some moar ballz

Nordica Unleashed 108

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    @KC based on what you're lab testing has shown so far on the U108, can you make a guess as to how a U98 v mFree 99 shootout might look? Like you did I've got the 179 mF99 but would like a similar shape with some moar ballz
    ticketchecker -> the 180cm Season Aero replaced my 179cm M-Free 99 ......cause the Aero is grippier, which I think is due to the rocker profile on the Aero vs the M-Free 99. eg the shape of the Aero, with its camber almost to the tip and tail, made it feel better on ice than the M-Free 99 (that has lots of tip/tail rocker). Yet the Aero is still as fun. I think the UL 98 would be close to the Aero. As the Aero has a similar profile to my UL 108 (and presumably the UL 98). I'm constantly surprised how loose/slarvy I can ski the Aero, with its "no early rise" profile but I think that is also due to the -3cm mount. My M-Free 99s were - 6.5cm.

Re the Unleashed skis, as Banditman says the Unleashed 108 skis stiffer than you would think, its not a super soft ski. It works well when holding an edge. I found I could still release the tails, when skiing centered.
    Though I'm on the 180cm Unleashed at -6cm? Bandit is likely on the line (-8cm?) on the 186cm. Overall the UL 108 is very easy to get along with (unlike an M102, which I found clunky in tight stuff).

Though I don't think I would own both a UL 98 and an M-Free 99? Not enough difference IMO. M-Free will be looser. If I was to own one....based on what I know now I would get the UL 98. PS - I really liked the M-Free 99 and the Proto 118....but I like the Aero, UL 108 and Candide 5.0 that replaced them better. So there is life after Dynastar.

The 2023 Blister Guide's review of the UL98 is good I think....a ski that will please a lot of people....and the hard-cores will slag it as it's not enough ski. It's a ski that is easy to ski fast on....because it is easy to ski. Versus a ski that is stiff/burly and hard to ski.... that allows you to ski fast? I always like the former.

The new Unleashed 98 replaces the venerable Soul Rider 97, and while the two share many things in common, the Unleashed 98 definitely feels like a different ski. Most notably, the Unleashed 98 feels a bit more directional and stiffer than the ski it replaces. The upside is a more supportive tail on bigger jumps, but the downside is that this new ski doesn’t feel as playful and easy to butter at moderate speeds. Mounted a couple cms forward of its recommended line, the Unleased 98 can still function as a solid all-round park ski, and it’s a nice compromise between stiffer skis like the Blackops 98 and softer, more playful ones like the J Skis Allplay. The Unleashed 98 isn’t ideal if you like a very soft ski, or a very surfy one, but its middle-of-the-road performance in the park (and solid all-mountain performance) make it worth a look for a wide range of skiers.

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-25-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks mate. I may take a swing at the UL98 and off the mF99.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Got some 186’s on the way. Hope to be able to compare to my 192 MFree soon. For the record, I don’t want another MFree. Hoping these share some qualities but are more low tide friendly.
    Any preliminary thoughts on this comparison? I won't be able to demo either ski, but both are firmly on my radar to fill the no new snow, but not full on low tide/firm conditions daily driver slot in my quiver. The MFree sounds great from the reviews, but I'm a little concerned that it doesn't quite have the grip/energy on groomers that I would like and the length options aren't ideal for me for this class of ski. If the 186 Unleashed is close to the 192 MFree in soft-ish off piste conditions while being a little stronger on piste/firm it would probably work well for me.
    I was able to demo the Enforcer 104 Free and found it a bit too piste optimized/not quite playful/loose enough off piste for my tastes. I think part of that was the sharp factory tune, but it didn't give me that immediate "yes!" that I am looking for, so the quest continues...

I'm intrigued by this ski also. Skiied the MFree 108 in 182 the other day when United lost my ski bag for a day, alternated between that and the Rustler 11 and was somewhat surprised that the MFree wasn't as good on soft groomers and light soft chop as the 11. The ski was adequate at everything but not particularly exciting , even though the 11 was a bit overkill for the 5 inches or so of fresh. Curious if this would fill a mid spot in a 3 ski quiver w a E94 and a bigger inbounds pow / chop ski (Praxis Q)

I thought I would love the MFree since.its shaped similar to the Praxis GPO, but still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    I'm intrigued by this ski also. Skiied the MFree 108 in 182 the other day when United lost my ski bag for a day, alternated between that and the Rustler 11 and was somewhat surprised that the MFree wasn't as good on soft groomers and light soft chop as the 11. The ski was adequate at everything but not particularly exciting , even though the 11 was a bit overkill for the 5 inches or so of fresh. Curious if this would fill a mid spot in a 3 ski quiver w a E94 and a bigger inbounds pow / chop ski (Praxis Q)

I thought I would love the MFree since.its shaped similar to the Praxis GPO, but still looking.
    Interesting. That being said, the R11 is spectacular on soft groomers. A revised R10 should be what a lot of us is looking for

They are better on edge and on firmer snow than a mfree for sure. But the tail is definitely not as loose as its splay would suggest and will hang you up more if you are off balance, so if you were looking for that effortless feathering ability the ski might disappoint. I graded them as a 3/5 in most respects, 4/5 edge hold, but 5/5 in snow-type compliance. Their only failing grade was in 'park' performance as they're a freeride ski; much stiffer than soul riders.

Honestly if you can do so, get a directional titanal ski like the volkl M102/K108, and a Mfree 108, and you'll have dedicated planks that outperform the unleashed in those contrasting conditions. The ski is for those willing to make a performance compromise to be good in more variable snow types.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    They are better on edge and on firmer snow than a mfree for sure. But the tail is definitely not as loose as its splay would suggest and will hang you up more if you are off balance, so if you were looking for that effortless feathering ability the ski might disappoint. I graded them as a 3/5 in most respects, 4/5 edge hold, but 5/5 in snow-type compliance. Their only failing grade was in 'park' performance as they're a freeride ski; much stiffer than soul riders.

Honestly if you can do so, get a directional titanal ski like the volkl M102/K108, and a Mfree 108, and you'll have dedicated planks that outperform the unleashed in those contrasting conditions. The ski is for those willing to make a performance compromise to be good in more variable snow types.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. I meant to take them to the hill today, but forgot to throw the U108 in the truck and ended up on my 191 Enforcer 104’s instead. The E104 is a bit more easy going and forgiving than the U108.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Nordica Unleashed 108

Blister weighed in on the Nordica Unleashed 108.

After a few more days on my 180cm UL108s ripping around WB in hard to soft conditions I agree with what they say. Great float for a 108mm ski, you can drive it pretty hard, it has good edge hold and it’s not as loose/forgiving as you would think. It’s the ski I’m taking out when I know there is pow out there, but we have to hunt for it. Kinda what I used to use my Rustler 11s for.

I also have some 180cm Armada ARV 106s that are a bit better in firm stuff (heavier ski). The UL108 gets the nod if it’s softer.

PS I’m a bit forward of rec at -6cm and I like it there.

Here's Blisters take:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-unleashed-108

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9859.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	444552
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-25-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Spent some more time on my UL108’s and in a little softer conditions. The float is there, but not as loose as my venerable MFree108’s. On firm snow, they are comfortable on edge and up to around 50-MPH. Really a thrill to carve on. They feel a tad less “locked in” in the tail. Stiff and energetic just not as damp as heavier, two-metal layer skis…which is consistent with what KC and Blister both shared.

If I was a one-ski quiver kind of person, these could be it. Just wish that tail was looser for our dense PNW snow.

Spent some more time on my UL108’s and in a little softer conditions. The float is there, but not as loose as my venerable MFree108’s. On firm snow, they are comfortable on edge and up to around 50-MPH. Really a thrill to carve on. They feel a tad less “locked in” in the tail. Stiff and energetic just not as damp as heavier, two-metal layer skis…which is consistent with what KC and Blister both shared.

If I was a one-ski quiver kind of person, these could be it. Just wish that tail was looser for our dense PNW snow.
    I picked up a set of these and my impression is very much the same.

Despite not being part of the Enforcer series, they very much ski like them/Nordicas - I was actually surprised how similar the overall feel is. They do NOT ski like an all mountain freestyle ski, despite the freestyle influence. And they don't feel much less burly than the original Enforcers, despite less metal.

They're great for skiing the big stuff at Whistler, especially if it's soft/fresh, and especially if you like to get sendy. They're also remarkably good on the groomers for a big freeride/powder ski.

I also found the tail was too locked in the first day that I skied them (likely due to the lack of rocker). I detuned the tips and tails pretty significantly (10-15cm?), and it made a huge difference. They let go a lot more easily and I don't feel like I gave up much on the groomers (and besides, these aren't intended for ripping groomers).

Also, due to the lack of rocker, they ski long. I'm on the 186s and probably could have been happy on the 180s if I wasn't primarily skiing WB.

So far, so good (for the two days that I've been on them).

More stuff on the 108 below from Ski Essentials. They comment that it's not as drifty/surfy, due to it's shape (sturdy tail), which is consistent with comments above. I'm gonna detune the tails a bit on mine to get more release. I think this ski is a great Whistler, after the pow day ski, when you don't know what you are gonna get up on the mountain.

SKI ESSENTIALS 2023 & 2024 NORDICA UNLEASHED 108 SKI REVIEW:

The Nordica Unleashed series of skis sets a pretty high bar when it comes to wide and playful freestyle skis. It’s a bit difficult to pigeon-hole this ski into the freeride realm, although it certainly looks like it from the outside, but the combination of construction, shape, and profile make the widest ski in the line, the 108, stand apart from a traditional freeride ski in a few different ways. While we’ve mainly focused on the Unleashed 98, it’s certainly time to give the 108 its fair shake. When we first got on them last season, it was apparent that this wide-bodied twin had a little something different under the hood, allowing skiers the ability to lay down some really clean and mean arcs while keeping the fun-loving nature of the ski at an absolute maximum. Aside from a minor graphic change, the Unleashed 108 returns structurally unaltered.

While we’ve been over the construction of the Unleashed 98 and 108 in fairly exhaustive detail in the past, it’s always good to get a re-fresh and go over it all again. Basically, we’re looking at Nordica Santa Ana construction in the Unleashed 108, starting with a full-performance wood core and two sheets of fiberglass with vertical carbon stringers. Just that alone would be great for energetic twin tips looking for poppy playfulness in a variety of conditions and terrain, but the addition of the single sheet of terrain-specific titanal really gives the Unleashed 108 its signature and unique feel. This metal laminate is used in the Santa Ana skis, and is basically a full sheet, but with cutouts along the edges in the mid-zone of the ski. We still see edge to edge metal in the tips and tails, with a wider section underfoot and slight tapering between mid-point and the ends. The combination of snappy energy and metallic damping stands out because it delivers a wide-variety of performance potential, and does not limit the ski to one, or many, types of skiing, terrain, or snow conditions. By allowing the ski to flex, Nordica has basically created one of the roundest and cleanest carvers at this width in the industry. It’s not light, coming in at 2120 grams in the 186, but it feels crisp and poppy when engaged in turns while keeping the chatter to a total minimum.

The shape has a lot to do with that as well, and this is where the ski takes on some Enforcer notes. In the 186 cm length, the ski generates a 19.7-meter turn radius and has a pretty long effective edge. With a 141 mm tip and a 130 mm tail, this ski has some pretty immense dimensions, but rather than a more tapered shape and rockered profile, the Unleashed 108 is decidedly more cambered and traditional in its footprint. This is what keeps it out of the pure freeride category, as other skis like the Line Vision 108 or Fischer Ranger 108 have decidedly more upward bend to them. This does a few things when it comes to performance, and we can get to more on that later, but basically, it creates a smooth tip to tail feel and a less smeary personality. We’re still dealing with almost true twin-tip style splay, as the tips and tails are decidedly turned-up and ready for switch riding and big tricks while keeping the edges pretty squarely set to the snow. When distinguishing between Enforcer 104 or 110 Free and the Unleashed 108, the big thing that stand out from a shaping perspective is that lack of long and low rocker. While the tip and tail height of the Unleashed is higher than that of the Enforcer 110, the rocker length, taper length, and camber height are all less than found on the 110.

This ski, at this width, is designed to perform in soft snow and powder, and fortunately, we got a few great days here at Stowe to put it to the test. The first thing we noticed about this ski in the snow is that it kind of wants to turn. Way back when skis were starting to figure out rocker, I remember skiing on a 115 mm underfoot Dynastar twin tip that was fully cambered. It was not a very good powder ski despite the width, since the tails of the skis wanted to stay locked into the turn and keep you from floating and drifting. Times have changed since then, and Unleashed 108 has greatly improved upon the floatability of a wider, yet more traditionally shaped twin. There’s still some of that catchy feel, especially in heavier snow, but it’s not so much that it makes it unpredictable or unpleasant. That’s pretty much the only downside with this way of shaping skis, and it’s more of a reflection of the freestyle influence rather than the ski being unable to float—it's simply not quite as drifty as some others, and that’s okay, especially when that minor deficiency is balanced with an enormous upside when the snow is not super-deep. In soft groomers and smaller snowfalls, this ski absolutely lights it up. The metal, the shape, and the damping properties combine to make this one of the top-turning skis of this width in the entire industry. It’s flexible enough that skiers can access the entirety of the sidecut while remaining strong enough to be grippy, smooth, and insanely stable. There are very few skis of this width that can turn like Unleashed—it’s capable of creating high edge angles on a variety of surfaces.

But nobody’s really buying this ski to carve on groomers—it's the overall playfulness and versatility that truly stands out. The blend of build and shape combine to make a ski that is confident and powerful, with very little in the way of limitations. We got to ski it in the trees here in Vermont, and it’s certainly got the maneuverability to handle some tight spots, even in the 191 cm length. Little drops in the woods are no problem, as the strength of the ski is a very distinct highlight. When you get back out on to the trail, you’re rewarded with a smooth and stable ride at almost any speed. It’s not the best in the bumps, and the softer the better, but I like the sturdy tail with the twin shape which makes it easy to push down on the backside of the moguls. There aren’t many 108’s out there with metal that excel in the bumps, so we’ll take the Unleashed’s mogul performance with a grain of salt. On one of our days testing the ski, we were faced with wetter, mashed potato snow on the bottom half of the mountain, and while many other skiers were struggling to get the stability out of whatever they were on, the Unleashed 108 simply motored over, through, and around the really messy conditions. This is where the terrain-specific metal really comes into its own and comes to life. Very few other skis have the capacity to do this, as the long effective edge and the titanal laminate put the Unleashed in a category of its own. At the end of the day, too, the Unleashed 108 is a twin tip. The 98 picked up where the Soul Rider 97 left off in Nordica’s catalog, so it’s fair to say that there’s a lot of freestyle influence here. While resort park skiing may be a bit of a stretch for the 108 on a daily basis, mostly due to weight, the backcountry jumping scene is right in this ski’s wheelhouse. Whether you’re building your own booter in the back woods or launching natural hits into deep snow, the Unleashed 108 will be right there for you. Sure, it may lack the light swing weight of a more park-focused ski, it’s still going to provide tons of stability and control on takeoffs and landings.

When Nordica first announced Unleashed, I was more expecting the 98 to be the widest, and hoped that the 90 received the same build as the wider models. The 108, though, has quickly jumped to the forefront of the wide twin tip discussion, offering quite a bit more performance and a distinct and unique character. The turning and carving capability of this ski far exceeds any expectations of what a 108 mm underfoot twin tip should have, and while it does other things as well, the smoothness and stability in a carved turn are simply remarkable.

Link here:

https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairl...08-ski-review/

Vid:
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-01-2023 at 06:43 PM.

What do you think about pairing it with CAST and use as a resort ski with occasional short tours?
    Last edited by Sashko; 02-19-2023 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    What do you think about pairing it with a cast and use as a resort ski with occasional short tours?
    They aren’t light, but similar to the Blizzard Rustlers, I could totally see the virtues of using the 108’s as a slack country rig.

Nordica Unleashed 108

Gotta say that these are really growing on me. Spent another day on them today in the right kind of conditions (cold temps, leftovers from earlier storms this week). Railed early morning groomers, floated quite well in pow stashes, and pushed through chop pretty well. I’m getting along with that stiff, very present tail better, too. Took the gummy to the tails a bit more aggressively and made them release just a tad better. Would still love them a bit looser, but our heavy PNW snow is the obvious culprit there. They were so good in the tight spaces today, too. Really appreciated the energy they have to give back. I do miss the dampness of the Enforcer layup like on the E104, but the Enforcers are heavier and not as agile. I find tending towards a more active, agile approach with these helps bring their best traits to the forefront.

I’ve been looking for that elusive Rustler 10.5 kind of ski (that behaves more like a skinny Rustler 11) and I think these are the closest yet…as long as you can make friends with that stiff tail.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Obv talking about a different class of skis width wise, but how stiff is the tail compared to the skinnier enforcers , like the 94 or 100?

Gotta say that these are really growing on me. Spent another day on them today in the right kind of conditions (cold temps, leftovers from earlier storms this week). Railed early morning groomers, floated quite well in pow stashes, and pushed through chop pretty well. I’m getting along with that stiff, very present tail better, too. Took the gummy to the tails a bit more aggressively and made them release just a tad better. Would still love them a bit looser, but our heavy PNW snow is the obvious culprit there. They were so good in the tight spaces today, too. Really appreciated the energy they have to give back. I do miss the dampness of the Enforcer layup like on the E104, but the Enforcers are heavier and not as agile. I find tending towards a more active, agile approach with these helps bring their best traits to the forefront.

I’ve been looking for that elusive Rustler 10.5 kind of ski (that behaves more like a skinny Rustler 11) and I think these are the closest yet…as long as you can make friends with that stiff tail.

Funny. I'm loving the E110's, but I hate the weight. The shape, the dampness.....All awesome, but they feel like they're stuck to the ground.

I think I already decided to try out a Devastator next year when the big ones are available again. I want a ski that's the bastard child of the Line SFB and the E110.

The Unleashed looks interesting, but I don't want hooky tails. I like long tip/tail rocker. I'm digging my full rocker Factions (La Machine), hence the Dev's. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Obv talking about a different class of skis width wise, but how stiff is the tail compared to the skinnier enforcers , like the 94 or 100?
    I have the 2022 186 Enforcer 100 as well as the 186 Unleashed 108. The 100 is more ski and has a stiffer tail. Have not skied the 94. Where the 100 is damp, the U108 is more active. The U108 is less apt to crush and happier to pop and pivot.

I went back and listened to the YT review of the U108 from the Ski Essentials guys and I think they do a pretty good job or explaining why the U108 skis and feels the way that it does, albeit in a bit of a long-winded approach. The U108 has one layer of “terrain specific metal” but it runs the full length of the ski and is edge to edge in the tip and tail, where that is not the case for the mid-section of the ski. That makes the tips feel stiff in relation to the rest of the ski and quite rigid torsionally. I notice that in tight spaces with icy bumps, where the give in the tails isn’t quite what one would expect from a twin-tipped ski. As has been mentioned several times, the tail feels more locked than loose. I’ve been gradually detuning. It’s a bit better, but I don’t even expect it to feel like an Enforcer 110, which is pretty loose in deep snow, despite the weight and two sheets of metal.

I have so many damp charger type skis that the U108 is a nice change towards more poppy and active, without giving up stability on firmer snow.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Funny. I'm loving the E110's, but I hate the weight. The shape, the dampness.....All awesome, but they feel like they're stuck to the ground.

I think I already decided to try out a Devastator next year when the big ones are available again. I want a ski that's the bastard child of the Line SFB and the E110.

The Unleashed looks interesting, but I don't want hooky tails. I like long tip/tail rocker. I'm digging my full rocker Factions (La Machine), hence the Dev's. We'll see.
    Part of what makes the E110 great in variable snow is the weight...

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Part of what makes the E110 great in variable snow is the weight...
    100%

I really like them on groomers and in powder, too. I eventually sold them because at 200-lbs, the K108 is much better on both groomers and in variable, but does give up something to the E110 in deep stuff. My son is 45-lbs lighter and the E110 is perfect for him.

Nordica Unleashed 108

I’ve sold my Unleashed 108. Passed them on at an acceptable loss to a mag. As these skis deserve a full life that I could not provide. Nothing to do with the ski….or how it skis. It’s really really good. Agree with the Ski Essentials review. And banditman. The UL 108 did everything so well, and is a great ski if you had to own one ski. Which kind of made it not as useful in a 10-ski quiver. Still have the Enforcer 88 for my low-tide ski.

Last edited by kc_7777; 02-27-2023 at 04:15 PM.

I was kind of hopeful this would fit the mid spot in a retooled quiver with my E94 as my everyday EC ski then a Praxis Q 118 as the big / soft snow stick. But I think while most of the qualities of the ski sound perfect , I would want a looser tail here. It doesn't need to ski deep snow or chop well since I have the Q for that (and I love the Q any day when things are soft everywhere ,not just deep days) , but traveling with the E94 levels a pretty big gap for post storm day leftover chasing when most stuff is bumped up and firmer groomed with stashes in the trees and off hikes. The E94 crushes bumps , shallow crud and firm, but is still undergunned for my slarvy style in real off piste skiing .

I have the unleashed 108 as a daily and an enforcer 94 for low tide, and a silly phat pow ski for the ultra deep days.

The 108 feels a lot different than the 94 to me. The tail is much looser. I haven't skied the enforcer free series so not sure how it compares but I have zero problems with the unleashed tail in tight spaces, feels much looser than the enforcer to me. I really, really like this ski

100%

I really like them on groomers and in powder, too. I eventually sold them because at 200-lbs, the K108 is much better on both groomers and in variable, but does give up something to the E110 in deep stuff. My son is 45-lbs lighter and the E110 is perfect for him.
    I'm 155lbs and the E110's are great, but heavy. I may get used to it, but most of my other skis tend to be very light. I definitely jumped from one weight extreme to the other.

I skied them today where we started the day with 10" of fresh and ended with 20+". They charged the deep snow amazingly well for a 110. I had a blast. Even rode them backward in some soft snow.

Are these UL108 comparable to OG Devastators (which I'm in love with)?
    Always Fight Gravity