Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nordica Unleashed 108

Anyone been on the Nordica Unleashed 108? Was reading the SkiEssentials review on the 191 length and I found their comparison to the Mfree108…intriguing.

“On the longer 191, Bob St.Pierre noted that “this is what I’m talking about!” While the 186 would likely be enough, it’s always fun to get on the longer versions of skis, and for someone who’s 6’2 225 pounds, it makes sense to get on the big ones. He scored the ski top marks of 5 out of 5 for flotation, playfulness, and overall impression. Quickness and maneuverability got a lower score of 2, while versatility, forgiveness, and stability all were in the 3-range. “This is a crazy-good ski, and the most impressive part is that it’s pretty darn fun on the groomers, too, and that’s something you can’t quite say about a lot of ~108’s out there. It feels like the Dynastar M-Free 108 a bit, which I also really like, but the Nordica just has an extra boost of power and dampness that the Dynastar does not have.”
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

One of my favorite skis of the year in the category, along with the K2 Mindbender 108ti. I would score it higher than that for quickness. maneuverability and stability - I skied the 186 @ 5'8" and 175. May just make it into the 2023 quiver. Numbers may be limited, we got our pre-order skis already but there isn't much room for reorders and the factory is in Ukraine.

Nordica Unleashed 108

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Anyone been on the Nordica Unleashed 108? Was reading the SkiEssentials review on the 191 length and I found their comparison to the Mfree108…intriguing.

“On the longer 191, Bob St.Pierre noted that “this is what I’m talking about!” While the 186 would likely be enough, it’s always fun to get on the longer versions of skis, and for someone who’s 6’2 225 pounds, it makes sense to get on the big ones. He scored the ski top marks of 5 out of 5 for flotation, playfulness, and overall impression. Quickness and maneuverability got a lower score of 2, while versatility, forgiveness, and stability all were in the 3-range. “This is a crazy-good ski, and the most impressive part is that it’s pretty darn fun on the groomers, too, and that’s something you can’t quite say about a lot of ~108’s out there. It feels like the Dynastar M-Free 108 a bit, which I also really like, but the Nordica just has an extra boost of power and dampness that the Dynastar does not have.”
    Banditman,

We’re always thinking the same thing.

I was seriously considering the 180cm Nordica Unleashed 108 (140/108/130) but just picked up the 183cm Season Nexus instead (137/106/133).

I really love the forward mount on my 180cm Season Aero and want to try Season’s next width up.

Also, I think the Nexus will be a bit more maneuverable, due to its forward (-2.80cm) Infinity mount position. Both skis have camber pretty much to each end, so going forward will loosen it up.

I think rec is -7.7cm on the Unleahsed, but read you can go forward by a couple of cm.

But will be following this thread. As I think the Unleashed 108 will be a great ski. Nordica’s build quality is so good. My 2020 E104s still look great and they have a ton of days on them.

KC

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-02-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Demo'd, 186 was the maxed size available. They have less rocker than the free especially in the tail (they splay a lot faster) and I could feel they wanted to lock into turns a lot more than my wildcats, but were not as damp as them, or as stable as my m102's, which was obvious as to why. I can't AB to a mfree in terms of ride. The 191 is still ~100g lighter than a 192 mfree, so if it ends up more stable or powerful it would be due to longer EE or the partial titanal.

My notes from that day conclude with "average at everything" so they are well-rounded but aren't going to amaze at anything either. I personally felt like the tail was too stiff compared to the tip and it had a small sweet spot as a result at the recc'd mount point: I would feel the tip overflexing or get stood up on the tail if I got off balance. The mfree's ~-9 would be more agreeable to my preferences..which is further suggesting that I should bite the bullet and fucking get one already.
    Last edited by SnakeMagnet; 08-20-2022 at 10:55 PM.

I would personally take Bob's 2cents with a bit of sceptisicm.

His descriptions of wider skis is usually more condensed jargon than anything I am personally able to translate into insight. Like freestyle something with a touch of freeride something, taper points oh, loose in soft snow 1 dimensional powder ski. How am I supposed to translate that into anything meaningful (having skied a fair few of the skis too)! So you like a long ee and your wider skis to be both loosish and perform on groomers? Just say so, loose the jargon - or describe what is particular about the ski from riding it eh.

Rossi take note though, BlackOps110 need to be a thing. What you seem to take out of the comparison sound 100% like the ski a BO110 would be, on point for charging but loosish for strong skiers at speed who can handle a progressive mount. The ski is already there and developed, just release it already eh Rossi?!?

Nordica Unleashed 108

Ski Essentials are trying to sell skis. So, they’re not really gonna compare skis. They’re going to sell whatever they have on the wall that day.

I used to roll my eyes at them but I’ve grown to like them. They’re the only ones chatting skiing that aren’t instagram models.

You two should set up your own channel talking rides from a consumer spectrum. Blister does a good job.

I’m sure this Nordica is like it’s predecessors. Hauls ass. Its factory flex is a bit stiff, making it feel harder to ski than intended, but after 100 days the glues will be broken down and its looseness will show making it the ski it was intended to be.

In other words— it likely gets better with age. So if it’s even mediocre out of the box, you’ll probably grow to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post

His descriptions of wider skis is usually more condensed jargon than anything I am personally able to translate into insight. Like freestyle something with a touch of freeride something, taper points oh, loose in soft snow 1 dimensional powder ski. How am I supposed to translate that into anything meaningful (having skied a fair few of the skis too)! So you like a long ee and your wider skis to be both loosish and perform on groomers? Just say so, loose the jargon - or describe what is particular about the ski from riding it eh.

Rossi take note though, BlackOps110 need to be a thing. What you seem to take out of the comparison sound 100% like the ski a BO110 would be, on point for charging but loosish for strong skiers at speed who can handle a progressive mount. The ski is already there and developed, just release it already eh Rossi?!?
    i think they are just trying to fight the wave of fat skis on the east coast. They get wicked boners for anything around 90-100 with a sheet of metal. Two sheets, they complain. No metal, they complain. If you have a 100mm ski with a classic camber rocker camber they will give you a blumpkin, anything more or less, they leave it up to your self. They also seem to lack a decent turn in any of their reviews. It’s a bunch of steaux kids playing.

One has thick thighs yet didn’t grow up racing. The other doesn’t have any timing that relies on pole plants yet likes to ollie inside hip-dragging arcs.

Both handle and ride more skis than anyone aside from Bandit and KC… who should definitely be sharing their perspectives outside the of the limited TGR window that nobody reads.

He lost credibility for me by describing the Black Ops 118 as having a “super tapered shape” when it is one of the least tapered skis in its category.

YES. Fingers crossed for a mid-season release, I’d buy a BO110 sight unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    One of my favorite skis of the year in the category, along with the K2 Mindbender 108ti. I would score it higher than that for quickness. maneuverability and stability - I skied the 186 @ 5'8" and 175. May just make it into the 2023 quiver. Numbers may be limited, we got our pre-order skis already but there isn't much room for reorders and the factory is in Ukraine.
    Greg - appreciate the “on topic” response. Also, being a fellow PNW skier means you understand the terrain and conditions where these would need to perform. I’m really happy with my Volkl K108/M102, but have been choosing the MFree108 on those deeper days since that loose, playful charger (yes, I admit it) tendencies pay off. I’m really looking for something in between those “extremes”, especially for a place like Whistler-Blackcomb. I also appreciate the reminder about supply chain impacts on the brand this season.

Some slight thread drift, but since you mentioned it, what made the new MB108Ti another standout?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

In the days of "float the pow, shred trees and rip groomers" do-it-all marketing it is interesting to see Nordica put this on the Unleashed landing page:

If you view groomers as nothing more than how you get to the terrain you truly want to ski, the Unleashed is your soulmate.
    I'm guessing this is to steer Enforcer buyers away?

And interesting to see the comparison to the Enforcer Free:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unl.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	424383

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i think they are just trying to fight the wave of fat skis on the east coast.
    There’s currently a wave of fat skis sweeping the east coast?

Perhaps it was a reference to a Jong wave? They're the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Perhaps it was a reference to a Jong wave? They're the worst.
    And the guys over at Ski Essentials are trying to be the guardians of the old-school hard core East coast skier?

Nordica Unleashed 108

Ya nice thread drift. I like the Ski Essentials guys. Especially their 1.5 hour comparison vids of ~20 skis by waist width.

Re the Nordica Unleashed 108. With its less amount of tip/tail rocker, more effective edge….I’d wanna mount the Unleashed 108 at approx -4cm, much like a Black Ops or Season Nexus mount point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Some slight thread drift, but since you mentioned it, what made the new MB108Ti another standout?
    They fixed the slight hesitation the OG version had when initiating turns at medium speeds, and directional stability seems a little more robust. If only the graphics . . . Hopefully you'll see more of me at Whistler this coming season, if I can work out a place to stay.

They fixed the slight hesitation the OG version had when initiating turns at medium speeds, and directional stability seems a little more robust.
    This is one of the most concise answers in one sentence that I have ever read here.

Having ridden the OG 108ti and noticing the same mild weak points— this is super intriguing.

This ski is intriguing. Without having skied it, the biggest feature seems to be two sizes that fit in the massive gap between M-Free 108 sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    And the guys over at Ski Essentials are trying to be the guardians of the old-school hard core East coast skier?
    Ha!

They fixed the slight hesitation the OG version had when initiating turns at medium speeds, and directional stability seems a little more robust. If only the graphics . . . Hopefully you'll see more of me at Whistler this coming season, if I can work out a place to stay.
    so is is worth considering an upgrade from the original?

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    so is is worth considering an upgrade from the original?
    I think so. Can you handle the graphics?

https://www.evo.com/skis/k2-mindbend...skis-2023-.jpg

I think so. Can you handle the graphics?

https://www.evo.com/skis/k2-mindbend...skis-2023-.jpg
    No, total no-go.

I love SkiEssentials' videos - I watch them over and over to help fill the gap months. Sure, I do not always agree - like MF99 do not float especially well for a 99mm ski - but meh, they are still pretty fun and loose in soft snow.Bob should just not be talking about the wide skis, he is not a wide ski skier. Like at all. I dont't mind any hype/unnuanced approaches to sell skis, but the reviews have to make sense - and his, of the wider skis, just do not.

And having rewatched the Blister Rossi 22/23 lineup video, the BO110 is so coming It should be awesome for a lot of folks, not for me.

Sorry for the thread drift Bandit - I am sure the unleashed is a sweet ski

Nordica Unleashed 108

I fondled the Unleasshed 108 in a local shop yesterday. Listed for $849CDN + 12% taxes. Still a better investment than stock or real estate right now.

They looked and felt good. Less camber than I thought. Somehow there is now a pair of 2023 180cm Unleashed 108s on the way to me from the Netherlands, as I couldn’t resist the $426€ Euro price (after $50€ Euro discount coupon at snowcountry.eu).

Gonna mount at +2 ( ~ -5.7cm = my sweet spot).

Likely selling my new 183cm Season Eqpt Nexus (or 180cm 104 Volkl Revolt) to make room/keep the quiver at 12.

Banditman - you gonna join me?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-13-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I fondled these in a local shop yesterday. $849CDN. They felt good. Less camber than I thought.

Today a pair of 2023 180cm Unleashed 108s are on the way as I couldn’t resist the $426€ Euro price after $50€ Euro discount coupon at snowcountry.eu

Gonna mount at +2.5cm ( = -5.2cm my sweet spot). Selling my new 183cm Season Eqpt Nexus to make room as a result.

Banditman - you gonna join me?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums.
    this reads like bait for someone here...

Please A/B to the Nexus before you dump them so us peasants can know.