Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Water.....

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    But where are they getting their feed from? I assume Texas isn’t growing all they need for themselves.

Edit: I’m getting way out in the weeds here.

Honestly doesn’t matter where the feed is coming or going. Colorado basin should cut back in water usage for cattle feed, and then things will redistribute as necessary (with a lot of yelling and complaining).
    Gotcha. No, it's relevant to nerds like me. My subscription to Hay And Forage Grower magazine ran out recently but a quick google search says Ca is #1 - which is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Gotcha. No, it's relevant to nerds like me. My subscription to Hay And Forage Grower magazine ran out recently but a quick google search says Ca is #1 - which is stupid.
    Yeah, Cali too.

crazy when it's not even being grown to feed our livestock

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...arms-water-use

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    crazy when it's not even being grown to feed our livestock

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...arms-water-use
    Surely if it can be feasible to ship it half way around the world, it would be possible to cut feed production in CA and CO River basin and import it from areas of the US that have water.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Lots more beef raisin’going on in the upstates as dairy declines.
    Dairies turning to beef production around here too.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Dairies turning to beef production around here too.
    I wonder if the $8 a gallon organic prices are helping the dairy farmers at all.

Maybe people are wising up and drinking less milk

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Furthermore, the deal clearly is meant only to be temporary — a stopgap, a band-aid — that runs out in three years. What happens then?
    I can't speak to all of the other things in this thread or the analysis from your post, but I can speak to this one. And I'd be wary of wholesale accepting that person's analysis if they didn't know this.

Current allocation of water is determined by the 2007 interim guidelines. The interim guidelines expire in 2026 so this deal could only be for 3 years. The Feds and the States are currently dealing with post-2026 issues separately.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-24-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Milk consumption has dropped in half in the past 50 years. But dairy consumption is still increasing (due to yogurt and cheese mostly)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And I'd be wary of wholesale accepting that person's analysis if they didn't know this.
    Ha, fair.

Water.....

I’d advocate for a broader source of milk for drinking and making yogurt and cheese: goats, dogs, sheep, etc. maybe restart using livestock for golf courses and lawns.

There’s research, mostly out of the UC’s in the western Sierra, supporting substantial forest thinning (ideally to levels pre-euro man settling) that (among other things) directly results in more surface water availability. Curious if similar research and analyses have been completed in other western states.

Wait .... Dog yogurt??

Dogurt.

Name:  meet_the_parents_2.gif
Views: 397
Size:  918.5 KB
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you would fooking hold still.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Name:  meet_the_parents_2.gif
Views: 397
Size:  918.5 KB
    Haha! I totally forgot about that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

2500 calories for $8 isn’t bad compared to many other foods. I bought almost no milk before I had kids. Now it’s a gallon every 3 -4 days.

I tell my kids to go find the dog!

Phoenix city planners, city council, et al should have been doing this several decades ago.

Might be behind a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/01/c...2f76dcb5a25a26

Arizona will limit some new housing construction in the Phoenix area because of a shrinking water supply, a sign of looming trouble in the West. The announcement of a groundwater shortage means Arizona would no longer give developers in areas of Maricopa County new permits to construct homes that rely on wells for water.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Phoenix city planners, city council, et al should have been doing this several decades ago.

Might be behind a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/01/c...2f76dcb5a25a26
    but, but, but... I thought that in Arizona groundwater isn't connected to surface water?

^^^Only economically

I found this part of Toadman’s article interesting
    {Maricopa} county uses some 2.2 billion gallons of water a day — more than twice as much as New York City, despite having half as many people.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I found this part of Toadman’s article interesting
    {Maricopa} county uses some 2.2 billion gallons of water a day — more than twice as much as New York City, despite having half as many people.
    Not many golf courses in NYC. To say nothing of personal swimming pools and lawns.

What would happen to the Phoenix area if the 200+ golf courses shut down because they’re outta water?

^^^Theres still a buttload of cotton fields and dairy farms on the outskirts of the county that use mass quantities of water.

And don't mention all the bluegrass lawns.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Damn river is dropping like a rock. Thought for sure I'd gotten my fish screen deep enough but nope.... 5 days later I'm moving it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230605_181516.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	461003
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism