Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Water.....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you guys are confusing a river that is boatable with a river that is navigable in fact. if a river has ever been used for any type of commerce, then it is navigable in fact.
    How about we just say active vs inactive?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    The lake Missoula stuff is incredible, I’d never heard of it. When I hear glacial lake, it’s like oh, that’s nice, a place you could swim across - but reading through various wiki pages, the sheer scale is crazy. Lake Missoula at its max volume was the equivalent of half of Lake Michigan, then looking at flow rates when the ice dam burst, it draining in a few days! I can’t imagine what a flow rate of more than 10 cubic MILES! per HOUR would look like.
    If you get a chance, spend some time in eastern WA. The landscape is largely shaped by these floods, yes floods, it happened many times. Channeled scablands, coulees, dry falls enormous sand and gravel bars along the Columbia river. It’s really cool if you like geology.

Water.....

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    I’m stuck on “dry fly fisherman”. Guy’s never, once even, floated a nymph, streamer, etc.?
    Introduce that DFO dude to skifishbum, he will be swinging junk in no time.

*dry fly only
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    This 2 minute video helps explain the scale of that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbsGHVzXRU

This huge rock from Canada in the Willamette valley also helps.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errati...e_Natural_Site
    And keep in mind that the erratics in western OR arrived after the earlier floods punched a hole in the cascade mtns at Hood River.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Natural lake AFAIK. It’s a marl lake, which gives it those crazy changing hues. There was a canal built between it and Wood Lk, but only the level of Wood Lk was noticeably influenced AFAIK
    The canal and the color are the reasons I assumed it was manmade (but honestly didn't know). I've been in a few other lakes that had that blue/green alkaline water from quarry/mining activity.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    I’m stuck on “dry fly fisherman”. Guy’s never, once even, floated a nymph, streamer, etc.?
    youve never met or heard of dry fly purists? The kind who claim to only cast drys upstream to rising trout?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    youve never met or heard of dry fly purists? The kind who claim to only cast drys upstream to rising trout?
    No. Hence the comment.

Are there enough fly fisherpeople in the world to have stereotypes?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Are there enough fly fisherpeople in the world to have stereotypes?
    No but they sure love to diss non fishermen poser types.. "Hills Brothers" LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

WSJ on economic effects of drying Great Salt Lake
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6oSNLkIBEg

Notably less snow due to less lake effect. They didn't mention the feedback connection.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    poundkeyanybodycancatchtroots
    been a couple decade long upstream battle for the rights to access our waters timelines articles legal rulings events swag etc
    https://utahstreamaccess.org/
    got our secondary water meter installed for $100 this week

which was a smokin deal for a grands worth of parts and labor
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Anyone know how CA chooses to pull water from reservoirs or how to find out what their plan is? Folsom Lake, which started the summer almost full, appears to be heading towards almost its same level as last year (which was near its all time lows) unless something changes. The rate of draw down is significantly steeper and more constant than in any of the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Anyone know how CA chooses to pull water from reservoirs or how to find out what their plan is? Folsom Lake, which started the summer almost full, appears to be heading towards almost its same level as last year (which was near its all time lows) unless something changes. The rate of draw down is significantly steeper and more constant than in any of the past 5 years.
    I have no idea about that. But here in CO you would not find a plan or any document that tells you how the reservoir gets drawn down. Even for reservoirs built by Reclamation or the Corps, they usually have limited or no control over how and when to release water (outside of things like flood events). The rights to the water in the reservoirs is owned by the water users, or sometimes they have contracts to the water and the feds technically own the rights, but that's mostly a distinction without a difference. And the draw down comes from when those water users call for their water. Some years they will call for more and other years less, or on different timing, based on many factors beyond just drought. It can be things like the availability of water from other sources in a particular year (and which water costs more), it can be cropping decisions, lots of things. Heck, maybe the fact that the reservoir was looking full heading into the summer led downstream farmers to invest in more water intensive crops, I don't know.

Again, not sure how CA does it, but that would be the explanation for CO.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There's no one answer to the question. Depends on the reservoir, depends on the jurisdiction--state or federal, depends on a patchwork of contracts, a hierarchy of water rights, etc. The water I am most familiar with is Donner Lake. 2 water districts in NV own the 12 top feet when the lake is full (but can only physically access 10. Most years the lake starts going down in mid summer when minimal downstream stream flow and evaporation start to exceed inflow. After Labor Day the NV districts start drawing down the lake to access their water. The outflow is controlled by a local water master. In bad years the lake may be drawn down sooner--the soonest I've seen is May. It's nice because then we have a beach and the shore isn't being eroded by motor boats. The boat owners don't like it though because docks and moorings are out of the water.

Good article on how the CRB states water rights were developed.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...130005432.html
    dirtbag, not a dentist

An explainer on Utah and it's 'secondary water' canals and low prices, which it blames on Utah culture.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...box=1664110817

Our Governor's response to the article

"I’ve been an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ my entire life, including being a bishop in my church and I have no idea what the Guardian is talking about. I can assure you this is not a thing. So weird."

Some proof Utah has been conserving water without the church being involved
    https://www.ksl.com/article/50464522...-report-states

If we in the West paid the actual cost of developing and delivering water things would probably look a little different here.
    There's a passage in Cadillac Desert about how the Bureau of Reclamation was selling water to western alfalfa growers at a tenth of its cost at the same time the Dept of Agriculture was paying eastern farmers not to grow it to support the price.

Hahahahaha.

Wow. No words. Way to go Utah.

Governor has gone full idiot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/co...tm_name=iossmf

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hahahahaha.

Wow. No words. Way to go Utah.

Governor has gone full idiot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/co...tm_name=iossmf

Name:  JFC.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  12.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Name:  JFC.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  12.7 KB
    well, blaspheming isn't gonna help the power of prayer.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    well, blaspheming isn't gonna help the power of prayer.
    You're goddam fuckin' right it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're goddam fuckin' right it isn't.

Name:  again-there-you-go-again.gif
Views: 395
Size:  988.5 KB

If Utah’s mass prayer for rain fails, would that mean it’s god’s will to have a water shortage and if you attempt other methods for water you go to hell because you disobeyed god’s will?

I grew up Roman Catholic, went to catholic school with priests as my teachers etc, but this Utah stuff is a different level.

Wait till you’ve lived here for 25 long years. Full on cult shit.