Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Water.....

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Also…I do love sushi and avocados and almonds in the granola, but we need a big shift in eating habits in this country. Half the people are fat as fuck and frankly, I can survive without strawberries in the winter.

As for lettuce…we have an indoor hydroponic thingy that we can grow our own lettuce in the winter…just need home solar to be more affordable/available. Push that instead of electric vehicles filled with toxic batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    yup way too many in the us eat way too much food, and especially way too much protein. So much protein that urine is becoming a more problematic waste stream
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-u-s/?amp=true

don’t feel bad about avocados- us production is mostly a few coastal counties in CA that don’t use Colorado river water for irrigation of said crop

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    who puts sushi and avocados in granola?
    scottish Japanese fusion cuisine. Haggisushi

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    It’s even more complicated depending on the type of geological formations that the valley is composed of. The porosity of the natural recharge area’s of the aquifer may be very different than the area being irrigated. If there is more impermeable rock or hard pan layers in the lower valley, infiltration may be more lateral than vertical, meaning most of that winter irrigation will just find its way back to the river before first entering the aquifer.
    There is a great case of this about 20 miles to the east. At turn of 20th century WA Laidlaw sold juniper scrubland in Deschutes County with the promise of an irrigation system he would build by damming Tumalo Creek. Using mostly federal funding from the Carey Act.

One problem - the reservoir area was porous volcanic rock and all of the impounded water just discharged into a deep aquifer below. D'oh.

Half the people are fat as fuck and frankly, I can survive without strawberries in the winter.
    More than 1/2. So fucked up that at a time of food insecurity so many people have so much high calorie shit to eat while so many go hungry.

And as much as I love strawberries you gotta know they are chock full of pesticides and other bad shit. I can live with what I am able to grow. I have berries for about 2 months in the summer. Just planted a Blueberry bush this spring, looking forward to what it can do.

In our hood (plated in 1913) we have some of the more senior water rights in the area. As long as the water in the valley holds out I am good. The County finally banned housing developments with every lot on its own well and no limits on pumping. Long overdue.

We could grow a lot more produce locally for about 4 Months (June-Sept.) but the land is too valuable to waste growing local veggies
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Ötzl pointed out a few pages back that there's plenty of water in the oceans, and he's rigut. It's just not drinkable until it goes through desalination..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Not if you were to ask Harlan Pepper. That guy knows his nuts.

Did you know cashews are related to poison ivy?
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    A quick scan of this 9 pager tells me 2 things:

1) the above was well done on at least two levels.

2) I’m proud of you guys. 9 pages and as far as my scanning eyes could see no one from the desert west has declared that we need to divert the Great Lakes yet, which is a nice improvement from past discussions on this topic.

Job well done to everyone, gold stars all around.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    2) I’m proud of you guys. 9 pages and as far as my scanning eyes could see no one from the desert west has declared that we need to divert the Great Lakes yet, which is a nice improvement from past discussions on this topic.
    The Mississippi River makes a lot more sense.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Just use the water from Lake Tahoe? that bitch is deep AF! 36 Cubic miles of fresh, clear drinking water already at water-tower-height for the whole western US, and we wont touch it cause its too pretty.

Just harvest the breath of the oxygen thieves in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    NFW, macs are at the best nut bar none. Unrivaled buttery deliciousness. If they were less expensive they'd be the only nut I eat.

Only consumptive/irrigation uses, though. Water that goes down your drain just ends up in the GSL. If you live anywhere in the GSL watershed I'd go so far as to argue that long showers, leaving faucets running, and other forms of "wasting" water down your drain is actually a form of environmental activism.
    maybe you missed the post where I said I use about 35000 gallons in the summer months for irrigation? And before you pitchfork me, yes I am cutting back on watering, ripping out grass, creating shade, and installing rain water storage.

edit - also the more I poop the better the lake will be in the coming years

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...reat-salt-lake

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Just use the water from Lake Tahoe? that bitch is deep AF! 36 Cubic miles of fresh, clear drinking water already at water-tower-height for the whole western US, and we wont touch it cause its too pretty.
    Are you being obtuse or sarcastic?

The answer is clearly cloud seeding

Yup. .

The dehumidifiers in our house could probably water a few small farms..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Yup. .
    Here in Colorado, the Front Range diverts 600,000 acre feet of water from the Colorado River Basin. This is what I would target with water piped in from the East. Then you don't have to take it over the mountains.

This of course would come with the caveat that the lower basin states also take large cuts to their use and leave in the system to fill Mead/Powell. It would be "system restoration water" so to speak. As a side benefit, the streams and rivers inside of Colorado itself would be healthier and the state would benefit from greater recreation, less cuts to its Ag use, snowmaking, etc.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

There's mention of secondary water up there ^^, what's the deal with that, is there a second water pipe running to SLC homes? Is that a common thing if so? Never heard of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    There's mention of secondary water up there ^^, what's the deal with that, is there a second water pipe running to SLC homes? Is that a common thing if so? Never heard of that.
    It’s a separate water pipe that is unmetered and untreated for irrigation. Typically gets turned on in April and off in October. Before the last two years no one really made a mention of how much you used, total free for all. In the last two years they have started it later and turned it off earlier and added limits to how much you can water (currently at two days a week, and 20 to 40 minutes per zone depending on sprinkler head type). Although It seems to be totally unenforced as my neighbor waters everyday.

It’s very common here although most of the water companies (typically the secondary water is not municipal, but owned privately or through a co-op) are getting grants to add meters to each house. New homes that get added will have meters from the start.

Water.....

Speaking of metering….in the US there are still millions of people living in apartments where there is only one water meter for the building and use is allocated based on sqft.

This should be made illegal by the CO River Basin States with a 3 to 5 time limit to correct before massive fines for building ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    mostly canals up north ogden way and south/jordan draper way but most of its pipes now
    we have water rights from lcc creek and white pine res
    dating from 1909 thru
    https://www.southdespainditchcompany.org/
    most is thru similiar "ditch/canal" companies
    https://www.waterrights.utah.gov/can...nal_owners.asp
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Has desalination for the west coast been proposed yet? Is there a legit reason not to do it or just NIMBYism?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Has desalination for the west coast been proposed yet? Is there a legit reason not to do it or just NIMBYism?
    Won’t someone please think of the fishes.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Its already explained in that instance, but similarly many areas will have access to unpotable water for irrigation during the spring-summer- usually from a local resevoir that typically has excess water available above and beyond that already designated for commercial irrigation. My grandmas old place in Ashland OR had it and thats how she watered her hobby farm. I believe she paid a flat seasonal rate and could use as much as she wanted (no meter). Additionally, lots of metro areas have recycled water lines, which are unpotable water that service fire hydrants and irrigation- if you ever see purple hydrants its RW. This was very common around the SF bay area when i was building stuff there a few years back. Finally, San Francisco and a few other major downtown cores have auxillary water main systems that act as a backup in case of the "main" water main system going down. It became policy after the 1906 earthquake that severed and knocked out waterlines and led to unchecked fires raging for days afterwards destroying everything still standing.

Sidetrack, but it is actually pronounce poe-table water, not pot-able water. The later is becoming more common because people think that it means the water is safe to put in a pot for cooking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Are you being obtuse or sarcastic?
    Yes.

Mostly just pointing out that Tahoe is one of the 20 largest freshwater lakes by volume in the world, is one of the cleanest (excepting vostok under the anarctic ice sheet), and is situated perfectly to gravity flow to a hundred million people. There doesnt exist a more perfect water source for human consumption. Just ignore the other details haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    A big one was in the works. Got shot down in May.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Maybe if we wreck the environment more we can keep moving people to places where they need to import massive amounts of water and run their AC year round.