Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Water.....

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Do you have a link to that graphic? Unreadable on my phone even zoomed.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    https://xkcd.com/1732/

It's absolutely worth reading, even if you have to find a computer to look at it
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It definitely puts the most "recent" changes in horrifying perspective, but I'm also fascinated by the changes in just 22k years - a mere blink of the eye geologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Thanks!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    It definitely puts the most "recent" changes in horrifying perspective, but I'm also fascinated by the changes in just 22k years - a mere blink of the eye geologically and at the same time as long the Homo Sapiens or the so called Human race"
    FIFY
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wut??
    H. sap has been around much longer than 22 thousand years, so seems like you BIFM (broke it for me).

Oh well deal with it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Not a drop of rain in Oregon all October. Willamette River and it’s tributaries are very low and slow.
    "Let's be careful out there."

We've had .2" of rain in over 100 days (less on the south end of the island), the driest stretch since they've been keeping records on this island.

And here in the eastern Cascade foothills, my friend’s well is going dry…

Whether it’s drought or a new neighbor that has decided he needs to water 3 acres of turf for six hours in the middle of the fucking day, looks like his well may need to go from 400’ to 475’

I told him to go to new neighbor’s place with a bag of fertilizer one night and write out “don’t water your lawn so fucking much” in the turf in front of his porch. Sadly given rain and snow in the near forecast, that may have to wait until next summer…

Fertilizer messages on lawns never gets old

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    We've had .2" of rain in over 100 days (less on the south end of the island), the driest stretch since they've been keeping records on this island.
    Whoa that’s crazy. You’re on the big island? I can’t imagine those rainforests with no water. Are there starting to be fires?

The Imperial Valley uses more water from the Colorado River than Arizona and Nevada combined.

Enjoy your celery!

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/04/11262...n-in-a-drought

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    The Imperial Valley uses more water from the Colorado River than Arizona and Nevada combined.

Enjoy your hamburger!

Cattle food too.

Enjoy your celery!

salad greens are about the same as cattle in $, broccoli is about a 1/4 of the $

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Cattle food too.
    Hey! Some of that is for horses abroad too ya know

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Whoa that’s crazy. You’re on the big island? I can’t imagine those rainforests with no water. Are there starting to be fires?
    I'm on Lopez. There's been fires all Summer, every time the wind is from the west we get smoke, it makes for great sunsets but the cars get covered in ash.

Enjoy your celery!

I can eat celery. I can't eat Nevadans or Arizonans. OK, maybe if I got desperate.

So, with all this rain that Cali is getting, and Colorado seems like it's having a good snow year, would this have any affect on Lake Mead, or other water reservoirs on the west coast? Or is this just an annual drop in the bucket that is meaningless?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    So, with all this rain that Cali is getting, and Colorado seems like it's having a good snow year, would this have any affect on Lake Mead, or other water reservoirs on the west coast? Or is this just an annual drop in the bucket that is meaningless?
    In regards to Lake Mead

Name:  coloradoriverbasinviausgs_0.jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  129.6 KB

Huge snowpack in the Sierras is of course beneficial and will help greatly until the next drought in 10-20 years (rinse and repeat).

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Only time will tell. But after extended drought, the soil moisture is so bad that even a good snow year might not lead to huge reservoir-changing runoff.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

PBS was talking about this last night.

Yeah some reservoirs will get filled up but most of the water runs off as stormwater and in Cali that means right to the oceans unless stored as seasonal snow pack. Not much groundwater recharge due to low soil moisture content.

And unfortunately most stormwater runoff is fairly well polluted by the shit it collects from surfaces during runoff.

Last edited by present tense; 01-11-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Word on the street is that Cachuma is going to spill come Friday. Maybe bodes well for some others to do so as well.

"casitas" really needs to get their act together there. Sheesh!