Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 443

Thread: Water.....

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,263
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Almond farming in CA is a travesty but what does that have to do with sucking the Colorado river dry?
    Is this some weird Buddhist question? Ok
    I’ll try one: what does gravity have to do with acceleration?

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Is this some weird Buddhist question? Ok
    I’ll try one: what does gravity have to do with acceleration?
    It was a response to Montucky ranting about almond farming and sucking the Colorado river dry. They’re two different issues from a geographic standpoint.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,947
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It was a response to Montucky ranting about almond farming and sucking the Colorado river dry. They’re two different issues from a geographic standpoint.
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I should have listed them then. Here. Let's try again.

    Californy government has a raging hard on for:
    1.) Almond farming
    2.) Sucking the Colorado dry.

    Is that easier for you now? Both are not wrong, even if they're geographically different issues. Ok? Good.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,131
    Given the plummeting price of almonds, I'm hoping for major financial distress.
    I'm lookin' at you, Oprah.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,706
    If you'd have said Dairy, Nursery or Grapes, you'd have been correct

    https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FS...cafacts_v3.pdf

    https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/
    ● California is the most productive agricultural state in the nation.
    Farmers and ranchers in California blend old-fashioned patience
    and perseverance with cutting-edge technologies and advanced agricultural practices. The result is that California has been the nation’s
    No. 1 agricultural producer and exporter for 50 years

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    5,195
    Hot take: Almonds are fantastic. Easily in my top 5 nuts, maybe top 3.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I should have listed them then. Here. Let's try again.

    Californy government has a raging hard on for:
    1.) Almond farming
    2.) Sucking the Colorado dry.

    Is that easier for you now? Both are not wrong, even if they're geographically different issues. Ok? Good.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Okay but you posted those two issues in a single sentence in your rant and given your track record of not understanding complex issues I assumed that you were ignorant. My apologies.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,588
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Hot take: Almonds are fantastic. Easily in my top 5 nuts, maybe top 3.
    1) Pine nuts
    2) Cashews
    3) Almonds

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I should have listed them then. Here. Let's try again.

    Californy government has a raging hard on for:
    1.) Almond farming
    2.) Sucking the Colorado dry.

    Is that easier for you now? Both are not wrong, even if they're geographically different issues. Ok? Good.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

    hey you inbred shitkicker from the capital of rape and pillage Texas, how’s the Rio grande doing? Why don’t you save a little outrage for your own water barons? Maybe just prop up another 5000 ft mansion out in 110F heat

    jesus you culture warring dumbfucks need California so you don’t have to look in the mirror. But you are far too busy judging by sartorialselection to think.

    fwiw - #1 imperial valley crop by value is cattle, #2 lettuce, #3 alfalfa hay. That’s where the water is going from the Colorado


    Adendum - if it weren’t for la stealing the water the owens valley would be a paved shithole

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    5,666
    They stole the water to save the valley.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    If you'd have said Dairy, Nursery or Grapes, you'd have been correct

    https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FS...cafacts_v3.pdf

    https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/
    ● California is the most productive agricultural state in the nation.
    Farmers and ranchers in California blend old-fashioned patience
    and perseverance with cutting-edge technologies and advanced agricultural practices. The result is that California has been the nation’s
    No. 1 agricultural producer and exporter for 50 years
    In order to fix the water issues we have created in the West, all states in the CO River Basin will need to make sacrifices…my proposal to start:

    1. Front Range CO needs to no longer be permitted to route water from West of the Continental Divide to East of it. There are solutions to get Denver water via pipeline, even if it isn’t of “Rocky Mountain Quality”…which is apparently why it has been a non-starter for Front Range politicians.

    2. Ag use needs to be cut drastically among the Basin states. CA uses the most and yet they export 44% of their crops. Sorry farmers, some are going to have to find different sources of income. Yes it sucks and isn’t fair, but at this point, what can you do?

    I vote make it illegal for any Ag product grown in a Basin state to be exported outside the US…or at least North America.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    In order to fix the water issues we have created in the West, all states in the CO River Basin will need to make sacrifices…my proposal to start:

    1. Front Range CO needs to no longer be permitted to route water from West of the Continental Divide to East of it. There are solutions to get Denver water via pipeline, even if it isn’t of “Rocky Mountain Quality”…which is apparently why it has been a non-starter for Front Range politicians.

    2. Ag use needs to be cut drastically among the Basin states. CA uses the most and yet they export 44% of their crops. Sorry farmers, some are going to have to find different sources of income. Yes it sucks and isn’t fair, but at this point, what can you do?

    I vote make it illegal for any Ag product grown in a Basin state to be exported outside the US…or at least North America.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    So CA can’t export any ag products because of the Imperial Valley? What about the Central Valley and Coastal Valleys that use no water from the Colorado River basin?

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    12,074
    I find the idea of top 5 nuts amusing. If you did man on the street ambush interviews I doubt most people could name five nuts.

    Also, cashews are #1

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    1,749
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010014004-1516646919-86.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	424088

    This gorgeous power couple owns and farms more land in CA than anyone, and grows almonds among other things. A great fucking article, but quite long. I reluctantly quit almonds after reading this a few years ago. Not cold turkey, but eventually...

    Last time he checked, he told me he owned 180,000 acres of California. That’s 281 square miles. He is irrigating 121,000 of those acres. This doesn’t count the 21,000 acres of grapefruits and limes he’s growing in Texas and Mexico. He uses more water than any other person in the West. His 15 million trees in the San Joaquin Valley consume more than 400,000 acre-feet of water a year. The city of Los Angeles, by comparison, consumes 587,000 acre-feet."

    https://story.californiasunday.com/r...dom-from-dust/

    If pistachios aren't in your top 3, you are wasting my time.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,785
    What are the dynamics behind the fire season and using water to fight those massive fires? I would imagine keeping the greenery around developments hydrated reduces that fire risk. I know around San Diego they use colored gravel instead of grass in some neighborhoods win win!.

    Stop watering those massive farms and what's that do the fire season landscape?
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 08-18-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    8,128
    This is another California farm baron bio
    https://mark-arax.com/the-king-of-california/

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I find the idea of top 5 nuts amusing. If you did man on the street ambush interviews I doubt most people could name five nuts.

    Also, cashews are #1
    I don’t know man.

    Toasted Pecan’s are scrumptious


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I find the idea of top 5 nuts amusing. If you did man on the street ambush interviews I doubt most people could name five nuts.

    Also, cashews are #1
    Not if you were to ask Harlan Pepper. That guy knows his nuts.

    Did you know cashews are related to poison ivy?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    So CA can’t export any ag products because of the Imperial Valley? What about the Central Valley and Coastal Valleys that use no water from the Colorado River basin?
    It’s time for sacrifice…not saying completely stop farming in CA, but cut the excess back that is being exported out side of the US (again, might still have to supply Canada and Mexico due to our reliance on their products, but maybe pick certain crops to stop…like strawberries to Canada).

    You want to split it by basin…I guess start there, but when those other valleys suck their sources dry…I guess start the process again.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    9,947
    Speaking of exports, nuts are just the tip of of the iceberg. Just look into how much alfalfa California exports to China. So, a LOT of the water goes to China in one form or another. Plus dairy, meat, etc.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    关你屁事
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    It’s time for sacrifice…not saying completely stop farming in CA, but cut the excess back that is being exported out side of the US (again, might still have to supply Canada and Mexico due to our reliance on their products, but maybe pick certain crops to stop…like strawberries to Canada).

    You want to split it by basin…I guess start there, but when those other valleys suck their sources dry…I guess start the process again.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    California is the sole producer (>90% of the market) in the us of a number of crops, protectionism ain’t gonna fix the problem. Those almonds Austin was bitching about? California is the sole state commercially producing almonds. If you bitches want to do without - stop eating beef, fresh vegetables & fruit except when in season (which means a couple months a year for you mountain dream towns), sushi (most of the rice in the us comes from ca), step up.

    oh, and expect a lot of food price inflation during this inflation as you switch.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 08-18-2022 at 12:09 PM.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Did you know cashews are related to poison ivy?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cliff-clavin.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	424092

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The big change has to be not eating meat. The amount of water required to turn plant protein into meat is enormous. I can't say that I practice what I preach. If almost everyone stops eating meat than I can keep eating it and not feel guilty.
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes. We can start by eating less meat and transitioning away from beef - beef uses about 3x as much water as chicken. Let's not make it so hard to make any improvements that we don't make any at all.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    4,422
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    It’s time for sacrifice…
    Lake Mead or Lake Powell. One's gotta go.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    12,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Not if you were to ask Harlan Pepper. That guy knows his nuts.
    I don't care what Hubert says, Macadamia nuts are disgusting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •