Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these gaps an issue?

My girlfriend just picked up these new Atomic Backland 100s from Evo in Denver and I just noticed that one of the skis has gaps in the tip. Is this something that we should be concerned about? have only had them for a couple of days so I imagine they are still returnable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F0FE18E-CB86-4017-923A-CE073B56E486.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	423934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8A765F00-C300-4F11-B0DE-7056A1C29D7F.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	423935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	902A5EA5-C3DF-4A08-861B-0D1E9FC2C5CD.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	423936

What gaps?

No.

@Tuco to the white courtesy phone!

Yeah, I'd be wary of that. Looks glue-starved to me.
    (Though the pics aren't great, so it's hard to really see well. I'm not complaining about the pics you took. It's hard to show detail like that well in any pic, no matter how hard you try.)

I'm no guru on the subject, so I'd want a 2nd and 3rd opinion before complaining - but on a new ski? I'd be concerned. (So you're not nuts, IMO)
    If it were a used ski that I snagged cheap - well I'd just slather some epoxy on/in it and get on with life.

But, a new ski you paid non-steal dollars on, that's a different story.

[Edited, yet again to say: The EVO return policy, unless it's changed in the last year, is 365 days return - so if you just got them, you've got lots of time yet.]

the only gap that matters is Chad’s.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

fact.
    My ankles!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

what about 'em?

what about 'em?
    My ankles are broke! I got broken ankles!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

what about 'em?
    See Tanner Hall.

And I think you need to turn in your Chad's Gap card now.

I was talking with the guys at Skimo Co a few months ago, they said that a lot of the 2021 Backland 100s had this issue and it caused some problems and they processed a lot of warranty claims. I cant really see whats going on in your pics but skimo said that the edges would be prone to separating from the ski, and sometimes they could stick a credit card in between the base and the edge. They said that they fixed the issue with the 2022 model. That is all the info I have, as I tried the ski and didn't like em much so I lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Yeah, holy moly. I don't know shit from shat but I know about that craziness

See Tanner Hall.

If you can find it, that is

fact.
    It's always that "just one more run" when you're tired that does it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

See Tanner Hall.

RIP Tanner
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I was talking with the guys at Skimo Co a few months ago, they said that a lot of the 2021 Backland 100s had this issue and it caused some problems and they processed a lot of warranty claims. I cant really see whats going on in your pics but skimo said that the edges would be prone to separating from the ski, and sometimes they could stick a credit card in between the base and the edge. They said that they fixed the issue with the 2022 model. That is all the info I have, as I tried the ski and didn't like em much so I lost interest.
    There's no edge in that part of the ski--the "HRZN Tech" tip. If there is a gap it's between the top sheet and the sidewall. There's a place in my 109's (1st generation) that looks like that because the edge of the top sheet is a little irregular but when I probe with a finger nail there's no actual gap. I don't think you can tell if there's a gap just by looking. If there is a gap into the interior of the ski obviously that's a problem.

It's a brand new ski, from a big retail store, that may or may not have voids due to faulty manufacturing. Are you local to the store? I'd exchange them, and inspect the next pair closely too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have some experience with edge pull-out on a pair of Mantras 6-7 years ago. I did the repair myself. It's an involved story, and I don't feel like typing a lot. Suffice it to say that if it's a glue-up problem, you may be well out of warranty coverage when they fail prematurely. (Warranty may only be a year, but I sure do expect my skis to last a lot longer than a year!) If they fail in three years from a manufacturing defect, that's going to suck.

As I've thought about it, I'd probably take this approach. (*At minimum.*)
    Take them to EVO. Have someone look at the ski. Ask them to take notes and add it to your account, so if they don't want to do anything about it now and there's a problem later you can clearly say that you warned them and that they shouldn't try to weasel out of responsibility when it starts to fail. (I'd take a pic of the EVO rep, holding the ski for your documentation - since you can be sure they'll do their part.)

I'd guess that Evo would not want to be left holding the bag, and covering them outside warranty on Evo's dime, and they'll push Atomic on the issue.

Evo should be more than happy to just return these or exchange them. Unless the ski industry follows a very different paradigm than most retail, the distributor or mfg pretty much always writes a credit for customer returns unless there's some significant extenuating circumstances. If I have a supplier who doesn't issue credit timely for customer returns there's a real good chance I'm gonna seek out an alternate source for my goods.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'd be less than stoked on that.
    Seems like we should be looking at the base backed up by composite- tip/tail spacer(ABS?)-composite-topsheet. Not what appears to be epoxy voids. Almost like the core shifted during layup. Pretty shoddy construction imo(at least on this pair-shit happens, but probably shouldn't have passed QC) You can try probing the gaps w/ razor blades, exacto etc. and fill/seal the voids and it may never be a problem.
    Or, take what Benneke said to heart and return them. Or at least do what Chup said
    Last edited by tuco; 08-17-2022 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Evo should be more than happy to just return these or exchange them. Unless the ski industry follows a very different paradigm than most retail, the distributor or mfg pretty much always writes a credit for customer returns unless there's some significant extenuating circumstances. If I have a supplier who doesn't issue credit timely for customer returns there's a real good chance I'm gonna seek out an alternate source for my goods.
    If the're undrilled and undamaged evo will take returns for 366 days after purchase, no questions asked. If the gaps don't go anywhere, I'd say it's not an issue, but it leads to the possibility that there are bubbles elsewhere in the epoxy or fiberglass not fully saturated.

Edit to add: Re-read your post, it seems they are drilled. That means it becomes a warranty issue, best to take them in now and see what they say.

Looks like the high quality Amer finish that has come to be expected. Atomic is 1/10 of the company it was when Herrmann was pounding them. Big companies=shit finish for high profit margin.

If you are unhappy for any reason and the skis are not drilled then just take them back.

Put a coupla drops of super glue in there and tell her to ski 'em like she stole 'em.

I just want to commend everyone for making it this long without making a "GF's gaps" joke.

You've come a long way, babies.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Big companies=shit finish for high profit margin.
    what do you ski on?
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Looks like the high quality Amer finish that has come to be expected. Atomic is 1/10 of the company it was when Herrmann was pounding them. Big companies=shit finish for high profit margin.
    I disagree with the whole idea that only a small boutique brand with some guy wearing bro clothing can make good skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know