Selling a used bike drama

So I was trying to sell my bike recently. It’s a carbon 29er with a decent build. Well used but fully functional and priced well below market value. The bike had some paint scuffs which I fully disclosed with detailed pictures of each.

So a guy offers to buy it if I drive to him, about 45 mins away. I agree, we meet up, he pays me and takes the bike. All good.

Two days later he messages me and says the frame is cracked and it wasn’t cool I sold him a cracked bike. I had no knowledge of any crack so I asked for pictures. He tells me while washing the bike, he removed the glued on frame protector underneath the downtube, near BB and found some cracks. The pictures aren’t conclusive but he says it’s mushy.

The pictures show the paint was missing and it looks like he ground the paint off to expose the area. I don’t know if that was preexisting because it was under the frame protector. He said he didn’t but I can’t imagine the bike was painted after the frame protector was installed.

I didn’t want any drama so I took his word for it and offered a full refund and to take the bike back. I drive to him, We meet up, I get the bike and give him a full refund.

I inspected the area in question in more detail at home. The paint was ground off. There were cracks but it just looks like regular carbon weaves etc. Now if I use all my hand strength I can make the material move. So I see his issue, maybe.

Anyway, I didn’t want anyone pissed at me and I try to trust people as a default so I gave him the full refund. But who removes frame protectors, grinds off paint, then uses super human strength to force material to kinda move then calls me out as not cool and wants a full refund, on a cheap used bike. Or is that a legit request? I dunno, I’m over it.

PS anyone wanna buy a used bike?

The only thing I can say to that is when I purchased a used bike last year the downtube protector was coming off as well (carbon bike). I checked with the company (know the rep for this area well), and he said pull it, prep it and reglue using adhesive. I used a sanding drum on a dremel (VERY lightly)...my guess is he was doing the same and went too deep with the ole dremel tool. Then realized what he had done and tried putting it back on you. Which sucks donkey balls, because there really isn't any way to tell if it was pre-existing (frame protector in place) or from his actions.

Try checking with some carbon repair guys (Calfee, Hot Tubes, etc) and see what they say. May just be able to re-coat it with something, slap on the protector and be good.
    Good luck with it!

I’ve sold many a carbon bike ( as well as bought). I’m fully accepting and aware that once that sale is made there is no returns.

If he removed protection and ground off the paint there is no way I would have taken it back. Also who’s to say what he did with it in the 2 days. I have sold bikes with a bill of sale that clearly state “ as is”.

If it were me I would have never taken it back. I would offer to work with him for warranty if that’s applicable but that’s it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

All good to give the guy a refund until he grinds the paint off. At that point, he gets what he gets. Very generous of you to give him his money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I’ve sold many a carbon bike ( as well as bought). I’m fully accepting and aware that once that sale is made there is no returns.

If he removed protection and ground off the paint there is no way I would have taken it back. Also who’s to say what he did with it in the 2 days. I have sold bikes with a bill of sale that clearly state “ as is”.

If it were me I would have never taken it back. I would offer to work with him for warranty if that’s applicable but that’s it

Yeah. I was thinking of taking that approach. But I didn’t like getting called out as somehow trying to deceive him and all that. I guess he played me a little but I didn’t think he’d go through all this hassle for no real benefit to him. I’ll leave the karma with him, not me.

He ended up putting a new rear tire on it as he threw out the old one. So I got the bike back with new DHR 2. So there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwaterbird View Post
    The only thing I can say to that is when I purchased a used bike last year the downtube protector was coming off as well (carbon bike). I checked with the company (know the rep for this area well), and he said pull it, prep it and reglue using adhesive. I used a sanding drum on a dremel (VERY lightly)...my guess is he was doing the same and went too deep with the ole dremel tool. Then realized what he had done and tried putting it back on you. Which sucks donkey balls, because there really isn't any way to tell if it was pre-existing (frame protector in place) or from his actions.

Try checking with some carbon repair guys (Calfee, Hot Tubes, etc) and see what they say. May just be able to re-coat it with something, slap on the protector and be good.
    Good luck with it!
    The dude was a heavy duty mechanic so he was prolly going to work on it. But man it’s a carbon bike not an engine block. Go easy on it.

I’ll likely get it repaired as cheaply as possible. Or maybe just part the bike out.

What is the bike and what parts? The used market has somewhat gone cold where I am and it isn’t as hot as it was last year.

You now have a bike that may need carbon repair which clearly greatly lowers its value. Parting out may be the play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    What is the bike and what parts? The used market has somewhat gone cold where I am and it isn’t as hot as it was last year.

You now have a bike that may need carbon repair which clearly greatly lowers its value. Parting out may be the play.

2019 Giant Trance. Carbon cranks, Shimano 12 sp, 4 piston brakes. Fox performance.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    All good to give the guy a refund until he grinds the paint off. At that point, he gets what he gets. Very generous of you to give him his money back.
    He said he didn’t grind it off and it was hard to confirm as the area was under a guard. But he must have, it’s obvious now.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I go hard on bikes. Bottom line if you want pristine carbon bike buy brand new or buy one that was clearly a garage hanger with 15 miles on it. If the dude had actually started grinding paint off the frame I wouldn't have refunded him. At the end of the day it's REALLY hard to break a modern carbon bike frame. Unless you are Richie Rude and are built like an NFL player and ride bikes through rock gardens at 50mph micro cracks are not going to matter at all.

Sucks dude. So when I sold guy claimed lever was broke. He said he would take me to court. I refunded and reposted on KSL. This time stated all sales final sold as is. 2nd dude was stoked so bike went to the right guy in end. GLWS

Last edited by whyturn; 08-13-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    He said he would take me to court.
    That's what I was looking to avoid. Id rather take the bike back than have some drama in my life
    Last edited by xyz; 08-13-2022 at 11:48 PM.

I sold a pivot firebird to a dude through facebook and had a similar experience. I drove an hour to meet him halfway and let him ride it around. He pays me and I think all good. He messages me bitching that the derailer isn't shifting properly and wants his money back. Dude, you saw the bike, you rode the bike, you bought the bike. End of story. He gives me one star on FB.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEDOWN View Post
    I sold a pivot firebird to a dude through facebook and had a similar experience. I drove an hour to meet him halfway and let him ride it around. He pays me and I think all good. He messages me bitching that the derailer isn't shifting properly and wants his money back. Dude, you saw the bike, you rode the bike, you bought the bike. End of story. He gives me one star on FB.
    The shifting was off? So you’re responsible for tuning his bike for life after selling it to him? Lol.

I’ll totally admit to being a bike returner.

Bike was on Craigslist, asked the guy a bunch of questions and he assured me the bike was in great shape. I had like 2 minutes on lunch break to pick it up so I just grabbed it, made sure it was a BikeShapedObject and gave him the money.

Got back to work and brought the bike in my cube to admire it (as one does at work). And the underside of the damn top tube had been sawed. Looked like someone tried to hacksaw a cable lock off it while parked and got a ways into the top tube. I showed the guy a photo and asked what the hell. He said there was an attempted theft a week ago and he never thought to examine the bike. I asked for my money back given the frame was trash and he had described it as good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Agreed on all points.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’ll totally admit to being a bike returner.

Bike was on Craigslist, asked the guy a bunch of questions and he assured me the bike was in great shape. I had like 2 minutes on lunch break to pick it up so I just grabbed it, made sure it was a BikeShapedObject and gave him the money.

Got back to work and brought the bike in my cube to admire it (as one does at work). And the underside of the damn top tube had been sawed. Looked like someone tried to hacksaw a cable lock off it while parked and got a ways into the top tube. I showed the guy a photo and asked what the hell. He said there was an attempted theft a week ago and he never thought to examine the bike. I asked for my money back given the frame was trash and he had described it as good shape.
    "Attempted theft" aka the dude who sold it to you stole it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    "Attempted theft" aka the dude who sold it to you stole it?!
    Nah he lived in a big expensive house, it was definitely his bike. I believe he had the bike on his trunk rack and locked with a cable when someone tried to hacksaw it off his car.

The guy noticed his cable was mostly sawn through but apparently missed the saw hole in his bike