Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mounting Plums

Wild snow and xxxer have good advice. Don't rely on the paper template for toe and heel alignment. Paper can be flex and end up with a misaligned toe and heel.

I do pilot holes after installing the toe with one screw with a drill bit sleeved in polythylene water tubing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    East side of the Connecticut River, i.e., Amherst as opposed to Northampton.
    Kind of cracked me up when we moved here from Cambridge, as that ~15 min drive would be considered trivially short back there.
    (And when I became the chair of the town planning board here, I had a hard time taking seriously all the complaints about parking and traffic -- you want to see real parking and traffic problems, spend a single day in an actual metro area, hah!)
    Well shit on me. I read your handle as @spyderjon.

I have no excuse - other than new glasses ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Wild snow and xxxer have good advice. Don't rely on the paper template for toe and heel alignment. Paper can be flex and end up with a misaligned toe and heel.

I do pilot holes after installing the toe with one screw with a drill bit sleeved in polythylene water tubing.

is the watertubing sleeve over your drill bit in effect your drill collar ?

i use a wine bottle cork but anything about that length will work, a piece of 2x2 would even help to keep the bit perpendicular to the ski

the one screw thing is also good to mount frame AT bindings that drop into the heelpiece as they should
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    when I was at Stockbridge at umass, Amherst was only terrible when all of us college morons were around. The summer I spent down there was pretty nice and quiet comparatively.
    Oh, those college students were definitely a topic of discussion at town planning board meetings!
    Mainly:
    • Complaints from downtown residents about drunken college students at night urinating in their yards and engaging in (relatively) minor vandalism.
    • Issues stemming from nice old houses being turned into crowded rentals (solved now with a new rental registry requirement, and a limit on the number of unrelated persons living in a single house), and front lawns being turned into muddy rutted parking lots (which IIRC is still allowed).

Summer is indeed a different season here. And came early on March 15 of 2020. We'd go on family bike rides through the deserted college campuses. Fun, but also kind of eerie, like some movie in which humanity was wiped out by, oh, I dunno, a new virus...
    ... but by fall 2021, everything was back to normal:
    https://dailycollegian.com/2021/09/w...u-of-tailgate/
    (Be sure to watch both videos!)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    is the watertubing sleeve over your drill bit in effect your drill collar ?

i use a wine bottle cork but anything about that length will work, a piece of 2x2 would even help to keep the bit perpendicular to the ski

the one screw thing is also good to mount frame AT bindings that drop into the heelpiece as they should
    The sleeve is a spacer that protects and centers the drill bit in the binding hole.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Well shit on me. I read your handle as @spyderjon.

I have no excuse - other than new glasses ;-)

... Thom
    I am honored to be mistaken with him!