Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Mounting Plums

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91

    Mounting Plums

    Does anyone know of any east coast shops which can mount Plums? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    619

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    162
    Send me all of your shit plus one boot and Ill mount them for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Send me all of your shit plus one boot and Ill mount them for you.
    It's a good practice to check the alignment of both boots on any tech binding mount . . .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    162
    I knew that. I was having a type, click, post, look stupid moment.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    thanks for the offer, but it'll cost way more to send my stuff to you and then for you to send it back...

    as for mounting it myself, yah I don't trust myself to do it. both the skis and the bindings are no longer available online so I'm not risking a self-inflicted fuck up!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,409
    You are less likely to mess it up than a ski shop. With a username like yours, I expect you know how to mount pins n skins


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    The problem is I have Yaks to mount, and there are no paper templates to be found. I've emailed the company to see if they can hook me up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,027
    If you are serious about mounting them yourself I could make you a template based on https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,295
    Aren’t plums all based off the same hole patterns as dynafits? I know the guide is the same as a speed turn. Maybe the yams are different. I’m also pretty sure that on the plum site there are paper templates.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    It's a good practice to check the alignment of both boots on any tech binding mount . . .
    Yup. I had a pair of Maestrales from a previous generation which aligned slightly assymetrically.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    thanks for the offer, but it'll cost way more to send my stuff to you and then for you to send it back...

    as for mounting it myself, yah I don't trust myself to do it. both the skis and the bindings are no longer available online so I'm not risking a self-inflicted fuck up!
    I sense a lack of self confidence.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    Most definitely haha! But this thread has built up some confidence for me to try it myself! I've emailed the company to see if they can provide a paper template. Or I may go HAM and just buy the jig.


    Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    I sense a lack of self confidence.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    Very generous, thanks dude. But let me first see if the company will reply to my request for a paper template.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    If you are serious about mounting them yourself I could make you a template based on https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,528
    Unless the shop is experienced in mounting tech bindings I’d recommend doing it yourself since it’s more involved than a standard alpine mount (I like these tips: https://www.wildsnow.com/16524/do-it...-ski-bindings/)

    Practice on a piece of wood or an old ski if you’re very unsure. That said everyone tours now so I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding a shop that can do it if you really don’t trust yourself, just look for one that emphasizes touring gear and ask about their mounting process. Where on the east coast are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    I'm in NYC and so the only option is REI here in the city. They've done a few of my other touring mounts and so I know what they can/can't do. The problem is no REI carries the Plum jig, and they refuse to mount off a paper template.

    Fortunately, I go to SLC often in the winter and my buddy's place is down the street from Skimo (obviously, no worries there). However, they do charge your first born kid for an accelerated mount.

    This thread has gotten me curious to try it myself though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Unless the shop is experienced in mounting tech bindings I’d recommend doing it yourself since it’s more involved than a standard alpine mount (I like these tips: https://www.wildsnow.com/16524/do-it...-ski-bindings/)

    Practice on a piece of wood or an old ski if you’re very unsure. That said everyone tours now so I don’t think you’ll have trouble finding a shop that can do it if you really don’t trust yourself, just look for one that emphasizes touring gear and ask about their mounting process. Where on the east coast are you?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,643
    you don't need a jig or template of any kind IME, i think tech mount is easier than an alpine binding cuz the binding stays clipped on the boot while you mount as opposed to mounting it where a template or jig tells you is going to be the right spot

    figuring out where to put the boot might be the hardest part, so put boot center mark at the ski center mark ( or wtf that mark is ) on the ski, measure from tail on both skis to get them the same ,

    mount the heel piece so the boot center is where you want it, the heel piece should just be @ deadcenter side to side on the ski cuz you will let the toe piece move to accommodate pins or wtf, crank all the screws down & the heelpiece is done

    in the cneter of the ski mark/mount the toe piece by 1 screw ONLY so the toe piece can pivot around that screw to find its happy place,
    Lock the boot toe into the front pins & stomp boot into heel piece boot, now drill/ mount at least more 1 toe piece screw and toe piece is done

    now do the rest of the screws one at time just in-case you fucked something up you get another 2 chances

    you should be mounted straight & in the right spot, the heel should drop into the rear pins

    practise a couple times on a 2x4
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    I'm in NYC and so the only option is REI here in the city. They've done a few of my other touring mounts and so I know what they can/can't do. The problem is no REI carries the Plum jig, and they refuse to mount off a paper template.

    Fortunately, I go to SLC often in the winter and my buddy's place is down the street from Skimo (obviously, no worries there). However, they do charge your first born kid for an accelerated mount.

    This thread has gotten me curious to try it myself though.
    Damn. Im in Highlands, NJ for a few day I could have grabbed them from you and we'd only have one way shipping. Anyway, good luck and if have to pay $$$ for a fast mount so be it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amherst, Mass.
    Posts
    4,589
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Aren’t plums all based off the same hole patterns as dynafits? I know the guide is the same as a speed turn. Maybe the yams are different. I’m also pretty sure that on the plum site there are paper templates.
    The original Guide, yes.
    Other Plum models though ... well, you can see the different configurations here:
    https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns
    My Plum jig has to accommodate so many different patterns that it even comes with swappable sections, kind of like a Jigarex.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    The original Guide, yes.
    Other Plum models though ... well, you can see the different configurations here:
    https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns
    My Plum jig has to accommodate so many different patterns that it even comes with swappable sections, kind of like a Jigarex.

    well that sounds like you could be a solution for this thread on the east coast. I’m gonna need a jig in a couple weeks….

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    4,501
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    well that sounds like you could be a solution for this thread on the east coast. I’m gonna need a jig in a couple weeks….
    He's East ... East side of the Pond.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    He's East ... East side of the Pond.

    ... Thom
    last I knew he was in mass.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Amherst, Mass.
    Posts
    4,589
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    He's East ... East side of the Pond.

    ... Thom
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    last I knew he was in mass.
    East side of the Connecticut River, i.e., Amherst as opposed to Northampton.
    Kind of cracked me up when we moved here from Cambridge, as that ~15 min drive would be considered trivially short back there.
    (And when I became the chair of the town planning board here, I had a hard time taking seriously all the complaints about parking and traffic -- you want to see real parking and traffic problems, spend a single day in an actual metro area, hah!)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    91
    Update: Plum sent me the Yak paper template. I will most likely give it a go myself. There's a nice tutorial video from Plum on YT from April, dude mounts it in like 7 minutes.

    Will share the template as soon I know it actually works.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    East side of the Connecticut River, i.e., Amherst as opposed to Northampton.
    Kind of cracked me up when we moved here from Cambridge, as that ~15 min drive would be considered trivially short back there.
    (And when I became the chair of the town planning board here, I had a hard time taking seriously all the complaints about parking and traffic -- you want to see real parking and traffic problems, spend a single day in an actual metro area, hah!)
    when I was at Stockbridge at umass, Amherst was only terrible when all of us college morons were around. The summer I spent down there was pretty nice and quiet comparatively.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •