Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Splitboard purchase advice for the newb gf

I’m a longtime AT skier and seem to be patient enough to ski w my new to bc gf who needs a first split setup… since I know little about splitboards , anyone got suggestions where to start? Spark seems way to go for bindings from what we’ve experienced (rental) and what I’ve been told from a friend. Since costs are an issue, is something like a Jones dream catcher decent? Going to shop around for a full used setup but we all know they can be tough to find…
    Any splits to avoid buying or to keep an eye out for?

Just my opinions here:
    Spark is an excellent choice for bindings.
    Avoid buying fashion boards, i.e., oddly shaped, wildly tapered, and or reverse cambered. The short/fats that are popular powder boards now are not optimal for touring. A suitable length (for the user), cambered board is the best choice.

I got my GF a regular board from Season this last year, she loved it. They had the same shape in a split, so we bought that for her to try.
    I think Season is still having some sales on their page of some of the blems. First time customers get 20% off I think, makes it a pretty sweet deal.
    I ended up signing up for text alerts, sometimes they have other deals up to 40-50% off on some blow out gear.

Thanks will check the season.
    Good advice on the fashion boards… have been looking at traditional shapes, but more directional (obvious?) than a “typical” resort board

Quote Originally Posted by SkiWiedmer View Post
    I got my GF a regular board from Season this last year, she loved it. They had the same shape in a split, so we bought that for her to try.
    I think Season is still having some sales on their page of some of the blems. First time customers get 20% off I think, makes it a pretty sweet deal.
    I ended up signing up for text alerts, sometimes they have other deals up to 40-50% off on some blow out gear.
    Any experience w the skins that the season comes with?

Splitboard purchase advice for the newb gf

“Fashion boards” - lol. That’s a good one. I find them quite fun. YMMV

What boards does she ride now?
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 08-10-2022 at 01:46 PM.

If costs are an issue and she is new to it consider a Voile board and binding set up. I got that for my wife and she gets out on it regularly.

Zero issues and very inexpensive.

She skins the resorts more than anything so I don't shop her towards the high performance stuff I ride.

https://www.furbergsnowboards.net/sn...freeride-split

If she can get past the name, a furberg freeride 151 or 156 would work for her.

Here's a shop that has some on sale https://www.thesplitboardshop.com/pr...ide-splitboard

Quick thought:
    Is having her learn to ski off the table?

The more I spend time looking at split gear, the more I realize how ripe that industry is for some major change ups. Meaning the current split gear on the market is not only expensive, but inferior to AT ski gear. Cant tell you how many times I've had split touring partners have their gear ice up, making transitions almost impossible, not to mention how much less stiff Snowboard boots are.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Quick thought:

The more I spend time looking at split gear, the more I realize how ripe that industry is for some major change ups. Meaning the current split gear on the market is not only expensive, but inferior to AT ski gear. Cant tell you how many times I've had split touring partners have their gear ice up, making transitions almost impossible, not to mention how much less stiff Snowboard boots are.
    Yeah that is a great point and we have discussed some of that. Probably worth more in depth convo and confirming cause she has skied before as a kid and cause I have multiple at setups she could use as she gets into it…
    The split stuff has improved tons but the pricing is also what at stuff was about 5 plus years ago…relatively speaking
    She’s a solid boarder but not amazing so going to ski wouldn’t be a giant setback… I think haha

I run the Spark binder on a split Custom. Get a board that works for all conditions, just like skis. I think my most important purchase was the Thirtytwo boots. I bought the Jones boot for splitting and it's awesome. Obviously the features for skinning are great, but most important the last fits my foot, so I was lucky on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Quick thought:

Or one could get Phantom hard boots and bindings which minimizes the slowness skinning. Transition time is imo all about practice. Most skiers are pretty slow at transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Any experience w the skins that the season comes with?
    I do not, yet. They are Pomoca though, I put them on the board when we got the setup and they seam like they will work well.
    I was excited to see the partnered with Pomoca on them. They look like the Climb pro material. I have the yellow climb 2.0's and love them when I am out walking

I'm going to disagree a bit on the fashion boards.

How solid is the GF at riding powder?

When my wife started splitboarding, she was an intermediate resort rider with next to no powder experience. Following the typical advice, we bought her a board that was pretty similar to her resort board - a 148 Never Summer Aura. Shortish, easy to ride, all around board. Makes sense right?

Turns out the adjustment to riding deep powder, with a pack, on that sort of board was a BIG problem. We're talking just endless wallowing because the board was just too small to float her in backcountry powder, especially with a lack of experience and skillz. So she demo'd a Never Summer Swift in the resort (a directional, pintailed, soft snow specific board) and she loved it. Bought her a split version in 157 (almost 10cm longer than her other board!) and it made her a 1000X better splitboarder overnight.

Disclaimer: Never toured on a snowboard, so any splitboard issues are only by observation of touring partners.

But I have a lot of snowboarding behind me - albeit ages ago - and I would definitely recommend something soft snow specific, with a set back stance and good float. I get almost sick watching people fighting short little boards in powder, struggling to keep the nose afloat. Ugly, and such hard work.

The Furberg boards look almost like a normal board, but they are more like a Protest; minimal sidecut and long, low nose rocker.

If she's used to a shorter sidecut radius, maybe a Korua? These look really fun, I think.

https://us.koruashapes.com/collectio...cts/dart-split

If you going to skin a lot, maybe look into snowboard specific hardboots, a la these:

https://www.key-equipment.com/shop/p...oot-disruptive

Softboot transitions can be sped up, but they'll be slower than 90% of skiers, and it's a bit like going back to Dukes.

I guess it all depends on the terrain and conditions you'll be riding. Personally I'll give up some float for solid edge performance in dicey terrain with shit conditions. You can set the binders back on every board if conditions warrant it.

Fucking hard boots....

Get out of here with that nonsense. Have your GF contact me. I'll keep her straight on how to stay true to snowboarding. No need to be influenced by silly skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Fucking hard boots....
    One of the best parts of snowboarding is the boots. I don't know anyone that rides hard boots. Not that it makes it wrong, but the essence of snowboarding is the soft boot. I still do a couple local hill pow laps every year in sorels. Tight loose!

Imagine if this board had a conversation about snowboard boots like they do about ski boots?!?!? My mind would be blown.

We boarders do have opinions on our boots but definitely not at the level that skiers like to get into the details of their gear. Guess that happens when you have bolts and switches and plastic on what should be a comfortable piece of performance equipment.

"Fashion boards", hard boots, and SkI InStEAd. What a thread.

A Never Summer Lady West split would be a good start, as is the Jones Dreamweaver. If you want to get weird, check out the Sushi or Splitbean.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'm going to disagree a bit on the fashion boards.

How solid is the GF at riding powder?

When my wife started splitboarding, she was an intermediate resort rider with next to no powder experience. Following the typical advice, we bought her a board that was pretty similar to her resort board - a 148 Never Summer Aura. Shortish, easy to ride, all around board. Makes sense right?

Turns out the adjustment to riding deep powder, with a pack, on that sort of board was a BIG problem. We're talking just endless wallowing because the board was just too small to float her in backcountry powder, especially with a lack of experience and skillz. So she demo'd a Never Summer Swift in the resort (a directional, pintailed, soft snow specific board) and she loved it. Bought her a split version in 157 (almost 10cm longer than her other board!) and it made her a 1000X better splitboarder overnight.
    Lack of experience and operator error ∆∆∆
    Possibly that 148 was too small to begin with

As for the Furberg, a 9.8 sidecut radius in a 156 sounds like no fun at all. It's a straight shooter

Hardboots?! Thank you but no

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Lack of experience and operator error ∆∆∆
    Possibly that 148 was too small to begin with
    Oh, 100% operator error and the 148 was probably too small.

My point was, you can buy talent.

OP described his lady as "She’s a solid boarder but not amazing" so I figured he might be in a similar boat.

Skier here, but one who works/lives with splitboarders and has worked on and sold many splitboards.

Full used set ups aren't as hard to find as they used to be. Keep checking in at the local gear exchanges and on facebook. I saw at least a dozen pop up in SW CO last season.

I'd follow the advice that buying a directional soft snow orientated board is probably a good idea if you GF is an intermediate/low advanced level rider. A few people have mentioned quality options. My splitboarder girlfriend likes her older Dreamcatcher (Dreamweaver now maybe?), though she is looking into something a little stiffer for this season. She tried the Riva (or the Eclipse I can't remember exactly) from Weston and really liked it. It looks like Weston has deals on their old Demos/blemishes right now too here.

For bindings Spark is the classic and seems to work well enough for most. The Karakoram systems seem rad, but some people have had issues with their board clips stripping out which is often a day ending kind of issue. But, it seems like many manufacturers are using their clips with good success so my experience is a bit anecdotal. Phantom hardboots systems aren't worth looking into at all but their board clips seem bomber.

For boots, if she likes what she has now don't over think it and get something new. Most snowboard boots work well enough for amateur splitboarders.

Once you find a set up the only thing that makes transitions easier is just lots and lots of practice. Just know you're going to be standing around waiting (or maybe helping) a lot during your first few tours. I have a few well seasoned splitboarder friends that transition faster than 90% of the skiers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    As for the Furberg, a 9.8 sidecut radius in a 156 sounds like no fun at all. It's a straight shooter
    I have a quiver of the first and second production runs of furbergs. The 167 with an 18m sidecut is my go to board for lift and split. Totally sick design!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiWiedmer View Post
    I do not, yet. They are Pomoca though, I put them on the board when we got the setup and they seam like they will work well.
    I was excited to see the partnered with Pomoca on them. They look like the Climb pro material. I have the yellow climb 2.0's and love them when I am out walking
    Yeah I was too quick to respond and saw they were Pomoca so I’m guessing just fine