Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Skier here, but one who works/lives with splitboarders and has worked on and sold many splitboards.

Full used set ups aren't as hard to find as they used to be. Keep checking in at the local gear exchanges and on facebook. I saw at least a dozen pop up in SW CO last season.

I'd follow the advice that buying a directional soft snow orientated board is probably a good idea if you GF is an intermediate/low advanced level rider. A few people have mentioned quality options. My splitboarder girlfriend likes her older Dreamcatcher (Dreamweaver now maybe?), though she is looking into something a little stiffer for this season. She tried the Riva (or the Eclipse I can't remember exactly) from Weston and really liked it. It looks like Weston has deals on their old Demos/blemishes right now too here.

For bindings Spark is the classic and seems to work well enough for most. The Karakoram systems seem rad, but some people have had issues with their board clips stripping out which is often a day ending kind of issue. But, it seems like many manufacturers are using their clips with good success so my experience is a bit anecdotal. Phantom hardboots systems aren't worth looking into at all but their board clips seem bomber.

For boots, if she likes what she has now don't over think it and get something new. Most snowboard boots work well enough for amateur splitboarders.

Once you find a set up the only thing that makes transitions easier is just lots and lots of practice. Just know you're going to be standing around waiting (or maybe helping) a lot during your first few tours. I have a few well seasoned splitboarder friends that transition faster than 90% of the skiers out there.
    All this and the above posts about going bigger and longer (ha) makes sense…
    And yes, she’s fine at the resort but doesn’t have the pow experience so a more pow oriented board for bc is in order. … in fact she has a 140Something resort board so a 150somethjnf makes sense. The Jones dreamwhatever is on sale I think but I might keep eyes open for a full used setup. Not looking to take her into shitfuck conditions or gnar stuff anytime soon anyway.
    She’s fit enough that the ups were not an issue when we rented last season and for sure it will take time to get better at transition. Colo/Tetons are my places so lots of terrain choices…
    One of my main partners is a boarder and faster than most skiers so I know it can be learned

Thanks for the good pointers on this thread.

Honestly, there’s zero way to tell any of this without first seeing pics of gf.

Did the same with my now wife a few years ago. Stick with snowboarding, way more fun to see your partner shredding on the downhill than trying to teach someone to ski in the backcountry.

After you buy Spark bindings, go to the hardware store and buy replacement fasteners for every part of the binding. It’s amazing you buy a few hundred dollar binding and they don’t use locking nuts. Like someone else said, the split board gear is way behind ski tech. The gear is on the level of Alpine Trekkers.

1 day into a 4 day hut trip, my partner lost a screw on the toe ratchet. Luckily it was fixed with a zip tie and tape. Actually continued to use it for a couple more years as it proved to be more secure than a non locking nut.

An anecdote of 1

my son ( now 30ish, athletic) moved from skis to the board at 12, I told him " if you really can't ski then get the split but i know you can ski " so i pointed him at ski boots, got him a lightly used touring setup setup, we did a BC hut trip and he did really well, I don't even think he fell
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post

After you buy Spark bindings, go to the hardware store and buy replacement fasteners for every part of the binding. It’s amazing you buy a few hundred dollar binding and they don’t use locking nuts. Like someone else said, the split board gear is way behind ski tech. The gear is on the level of Alpine Trekkers.
    Spark sells a full kit of replacement fasteners for just this reason. Loc tite is your friend.
    27° 18°

Those Spark replacement kits have been hard to find these past couple years. If you can find one, great. Otherwise I'd either schmooze the local splitboard tech for some spares or make a trip to the hardware store.
    No matter the loc tite I've seen Spark bindings drop screws in bad places a few times.

Just buy the appropriate Jones board - Stratos split for a bit of everything, Hoover for directional charging or Mind Expander for soft snow versatility - they are all awesome and build quality is top notch. Do not buy a mountain twin or storm chaser as the one dedicated split - too specific uses. I ay that as an idiot whose quiver currently is mountain twin - stratos - hover - mind expander - storm chaser (and orca split). And yes, stay clear of Mervin splits - they are not as versatile as Jones (having owned Orca and multiple Goldmember - I am a huge Mervin fan).

I would start out with regular boots and Sparks, and then if the bug catches transition to Phantom hard boots.

A short reply by my standard - but realistically enough words

^hard boots. Hard NO!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    ^hard boots. Hard NO!!
    I have never tried em, though the ease of walking and close to smoothness going down seem to be more than worth it if you do big missions regulary. Like, by a mile, and then some.

There are many hardboot users here in the San Juans and they are almost all psyched on the set up, but this place is kind of the hardboot mecca of Colorado. Snowboard boots just suck at certain things you need them to not suck at if you're doing big or scramble-ly missions.

That said, there are pros and cons to both set ups but most people don't need what hardboots provide. I'd never sway a first time splitboard buyer towards a hardboot set up.

Awesome your partner wants to get into splitting with you. The Weston Eclipse and or Riva are pretty good options. Currently sold out but more coming. I can provide a code if you go that route!
    (full disclosure i'm on their ambassador program but was paying full pop before that for their boards, currently moving onto year 5 on my last solid and split with no issues)

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    There are many hardboot users here in the San Juans and they are almost all psyched on the set up, but this place is kind of the hardboot mecca of Colorado. Snowboard boots just suck at certain things you need them to not suck at if you're doing big or scramble-ly missions.

That said, there are pros and cons to both set ups but most people don't need what hardboots provide. I'd never sway a first time splitboard buyer towards a hardboot set up.
    This. I know a lot of hardbooters and that kind of setup is awesome for certain things but I would definitely not push a new splitter that way unless they very specifically were intending to get into extensive mountaineering.