Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Endless, are you never skinning up? How does that work?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ..... who likes to ski with his mouth open
    NTTAWWT
    Too bad it is winter; could save on protein shakes during bug season.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Endless, are you never skinning up? How does that work?
    Where I live, getting to the top of snow, self-powered, is only necessary 3 or 4 months of the year. And, during those months there's far more dirt, scree and boulders during the approach than snow. It's sometimes miles of dry ground. I just wear hiking sandals or shoes until I get to snow. What snow stashes remain in those few months are so small, and they've been frozen and refrozen so many times, that the surface is ideal for just using my boot toes to boot straight up the fall-line.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I don't know. Looks like your arms are flailing a bit.
    Sig history.
    Also notice how he's stivoting the top of the turn more than he needs to?
    Dude, love the smile. Skiing is fun, eh?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I don't know. Looks like your arms are flailing a bit.
    ?!?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1247047959086108

(Although someone remind me, in the GapicSki Movement Analysis threads, are points deducted for open-mouthed excitement while skiing? The PSIA-oriented scene does seem somehow subdued at times -- not dour, yet not wildly exuberant either.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    [...] Dude, love the smile. Skiing is fun, eh?

Can be, sure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josh 158.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	426785

It's all fun and games until your knee/ski/pole jolts up and hits your lower mandible. Next thing you know, your tongue's flying up into the sky, trailing a hefty streamer of blood. As a racer coach, I'm sure you know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Can be, sure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Josh 158.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	426785
    "Look mom! I'm off the trail"

JFC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    [...] JFC.
    You would have been exclaiming that sincerely if you had been there.
    (No, it's not at a ski resort.)

Priceless indeed -- both the various outings from which I culled the following pictures, and the mere concept of a telemarker mocking the downhill skiing abilities of a former NCAA alpine ski racing coach.
    The fact that you stated a telemarker is descending in a much "worse" fashion is what's at play here. You descent like a robot with the most generic stiff style I've ever seen. You're technically sound, although I'd question your ability to straightline out of a dicey situation and you surely have never left the ground by more than two feet. To me that is a much "worse" descent than a good or great tele skier. Some or many tele skiers have an athletic and graceful style which is a work of art to watch, hence it is much superior. Now we can talk about someone like Chris Benchetler, Candide, or Telefree's kids in alpine mode and call that an art form and incredibly pleasing to the eyes. So in the end it's the individual, not the tools they're using.

And yeah, I'm not defined as a tele skier or an alpine skier or a snowboarder.

Endless...sorry for the hijack of your awesome thread! You rock!

Shitty emo equipment leads to shitty skiing.

Fact.

Tight anal is the only way

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    [...] To me that is a much "worse" descent than a good or great tele skier. [...]
    You're of course wrong on the specific attributes that you cited in the rest of your post, although I can understand how a telemarker would take offense at my lack of typical telemarking attributes like a wedge initiation and upper body rotation.
    However, even that aside, if I had some skiing spreadsheet accomplishment like, say (in an example that may or may not be hypothetical -- I have no idea) most earned vertical for skiing-on-snow turns down a mountain in a single season for a full-time resident of Eastern North America yet I then learned that a telemarker with a proclivity for both skiing and spreadsheets had outdone me, I would step down (or even entirely off) the (virtual) podium rather than try to parse it further with a non-telemarking qualification as I do respect telemarkers as my fellow skiing-down-snow-covered-mountains skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    [...] Fact. [...]
    Yes, definitely a fact that 100% carbon fiber skimo race boots ski really well.
    (Their entirely plastic predecessors from the earlier years of the sport, not so well!)
    Ditto for skimo race bindings with rigid ski<>boot coupling and low heel>toe delta.
    (Skimo race skis though in any sort of unconsolidated snow, well, that's a combo best avoided!)

You're of course wrong on the specific attributes that you cited in the rest of your post, although I can understand how a telemarker would take offense at my lack of typical telemarking attributes like a wedge initiation and upper body rotation.
    However, even that aside, if I had some skiing spreadsheet accomplishment like, say (in an example that may or may not be hypothetical -- I have no idea) most earned vertical for skiing-on-snow turns down a mountain in a single season for a full-time resident of Eastern North America yet I then learned that a telemarker with a proclivity for both skiing and spreadsheets had outdone me, I would step down (or even entirely off) the (virtual) podium rather than try to parse it further with a non-telemarking qualification as I do respect telemarkers as my fellow skiing-down-snow-covered-mountains skiers.
    Wedge initiation and upper body rotation!? Dude, you're speaking in archaic terms. Should have thrown the double pole plant in there too!

Your writing style and content does make me chuckle, so you've got that going for ya.

Endless, you ever meet a fella who in the early 90's had skied every day for 12 years?
    Can't member his name. Wore a green floppy brim hat like yours, and god forbid made tele turns...
    Drove cats in southern Co. in the winter and Timberline in the summer.
    Used to bump me here in Ootah so's he wouldn't have to make the drive to Timberline in a day.
    Free ticket and all. Wonder how long that streak ran?
    Anybody remember that guy?

Endless, you ever meet a fella who in the early 90's had skied every day for 12 years?
    Can't member his name. Wore a green floppy brim hat like yours, and god forbid made tele turns...
    Drove cats in southern Co. in the winter and Timberline in the summer.
    Used to bump me here in Ootah so's he wouldn't have to make the drive to Timberline in a day.
    Free ticket and all. Wonder how long that streak ran?
    Anybody remember that guy?
    Rainer Hertrich?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yes that's him all right, thanks for that.
    Exaggerated by 50% on the streak.
    Wondered what became of him.
    Epitome of the ski bum, eh?

I once saw monkeys throwing poop at each in the zoo

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

^ was one in better form than the other? Any notable equipment variations or certifications? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    It's all fun and games until your knee/ski/pole jolts up and hits your lower mandible. Next thing you know, your tongue's flying up into the sky, trailing a hefty streamer of blood. As a racer coach, I'm sure you know this.
    BAHAHAAHAAA!!! And what a hilarious visual!! I laughed so hard and loud that my wife came in from the other room to have me read what was so funny. She didn't get it at all, which actually made me laugh harder!

Endless, you ever meet a fella who in the early 90's had skied every day.…
    No, we never met. Though one time as I was leaving Timberline, I found out we were both skiing there that day. He had such an insane idea and it seemed so impossible that, in my opinion, it's the most incredible skiing accomplishment anyone's ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason View Post
    Where I live, getting to the top of snow, self-powered, is only necessary 3 or 4 months of the year. And, during those months there's far more dirt, scree and boulders during the approach than snow. It's sometimes miles of dry ground. I just wear hiking sandals or shoes until I get to snow. What snow stashes remain in those few months are so small, and they've been frozen and refrozen so many times, that the surface is ideal for just using my boot toes to boot straight up the fall-line.
    Nice
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.