Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yeah yeah yeah ...... e'ry body makes nice and then y'all shit on the free heelers.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah ...... e'ry body makes nice and then y'all shit on the free heelers.
    Exactly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHitXxH-us
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Nobody here would be posting anything negative were it not for how the OP has continued over the years to negatively

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    I'll post a link soon to a Google Sheet that solves all those equations.

Lol. No escalation or debate here. When this topic came up 20 years ago, I remember it was the first time some people ever realized that alpine (downhill) skiing is distinct from nordic (cross-country), which is distinct from telemark.
    In the past 30 years, in everything written or reported about my venture, it's described as the "longest documented alpine, or downhill, ski streak." That it meant 'on snow' seemed too obvious to have to go out of my way to specify.
    Whether Colorado Tom has a longer telemark streak or not doesn't affect me because mine is alpine.
    Whether or not Gordon has more months on alpine gear doesn't affect my streak, because not all of his months are on snow. He chooses to include skiing on plastic bristle mats. That's his call, but again, it makes my streak distinct from his because all my months are on mountain snow.
    I've never claimed to have the longest "ski" streak. But I do, in fact, have the longest all alpine/downhill snow-skiing streak.
    Last edited by Endlessseason; 09-15-2022 at 03:08 PM. Reason: removed potentially divisive paragraph
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

All the divisive didactics just makes me sad. It's a nice achievement, some performance art. Just leave it like that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    All the divisive didactics just makes me sad. It's a nice achievement, some performance art. Just leave it like that.
    Buster, very enlightened comment. I just removed a paragraph of my post that could potentially sound as though I have something against tele. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason View Post
    Buster, very enlightened comment. I just removed a paragraph of my post that could potentially sound as though I have something against tele. I don't.
    Speak for yourself!
    Nice run. May it continue a lot longer.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    +2 go get 'em, Endless-

skiJ

[...] I just removed a paragraph of my post that could potentially sound as though I have something against tele. I don't.
    Aww, come on, where's the fun in that!
    (I go so far in my tele antagonism as to waste weeks of my life each season and thousands of dollars to organize a ski race series that embarrasses the few telemarkers who haven't gotten the memo on that. Well, okay, that's not the goal, but it is an ancillary benefit. Even better is when some of them show up yet see the folly of their ways and convert!)

However, even I will admit (under some duress) that if a telemarker and I ascend the same slope (whether via mechanized means, skinning, or hiking), then ski down the same snow-covered mountain together making turns, we're doing the same thing ... although the telemarker is doing it far worse.
    (Am I being sufficient antagonist toward tele? If not, I can try harder!)

But if the distinction is that this is the longest monthly non-telemark-turning-down-a-mountain ski streak ... well, we'd have to survey all the TAY'ers with over 30 years.
    The ones I've skied with were not telemarkers. But possible that the early years of their streaks including a few months accomplished via tele.
    Given that the TAY list is no longer publicly maintained, pretty much impossible to determine now.

Lol. No escalation or debate here. When this topic came up 20 years ago, I remember it was the first time some people ever realized that alpine (downhill) skiing is distinct from nordic (cross-country), which is distinct from telemark.
    I'd be surprised if people two decades ago on PowderMag forums didn't know the distinction between downhill skiing vs cross-country skiing.
    Ditto for people not being aware of downhill skiing via not parallel turns on fixed-heel gear but instead telemark turns on telemark gear.
    But then again, life is full of surprises -- especially how some skiers still persist with telemark!

Whether or not Gordon has more months on alpine gear doesn't affect my streak, because not all of his months are on snow. He chooses to include skiing on plastic bristle mats.
    Okay, I didn't know that, as he didn't mention it during our discussion. If so, agreed, that doesn't count, as the whole point of such an impressive streak is to being chasing impermanent snow around the continent (or globe).
    Especially since some employees at the U.K. "dry" slopes must have skied there every month since the places first opened.

Endless seems to have provenance

You can’t sell an antique or historical item without a record of who owned it.
    This obsessed skier has written logs of every ski run.
    Does anyone else have that?

I say he wins the contest.
    Or at least ocd respect.

I'd be surprised if people two decades ago on PowderMag forums didn't know the distinction between downhill skiing vs cross-country skiing.
    I'd be surprised too if that were the case. Just as I used to do back then, you can see that I wrote cross-country and downhill in parentheses. As references. That's because most skiers DO know what those are. Where word comprehension used to get a little muddled, and still does, judging by a couple comments even in this thread, is with the terms Nordic, Alpine and Telemark.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Endless seems to have provenance

You can’t sell an antique or historical item without a record of who owned it.
    This obsessed skier has written logs of every ski run.
    Does anyone else have that?

I say he wins the contest.
    Or at least ocd respect.
    I agree.

Mad props Endless. Very cool endeavor.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

However, even I will admit (under some duress) that if a telemarker and I ascend the same slope (whether via mechanized means, skinning, or hiking), then ski down the same snow-covered mountain together making turns, we're doing the same thing ... although the telemarker is doing it far worse.
    (Am I being sufficient antagonist toward tele? If not, I can try harder!)
    Umm, the thing is I've seen you ski and you are unequivocally wrong. You're very fast on the way up, but good gawd it's ugly on the down. Keep practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Umm, the thing is I've seen you ski and you are unequivocally wrong. You're very fast on the way up, but good gawd it's ugly on the down. Keep practicing!
    Priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You're joking, right?
    Otherwise, I'll start posting pictures of myself and let the peanut gallery post judgement.

Pics or it didn't happen...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Priceless.
    Priceless indeed -- both the various outings from which I culled the following pictures, and the mere concept of a telemarker mocking the downhill skiing abilities of a former NCAA alpine ski racing coach.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen...
    It definitely happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-06-14.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	426695

Name:	20160511_095409.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	609.3 KB 
ID:	426696

Name:	20160629_120003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	426697

Name:	20161218_194006 me skiing Sunday morning - Copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	426698

Name:	image_1436107854.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	989.7 KB 
ID:	426699

Name:	image_1436111203.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	426700

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	742.4 KB 
ID:	426701

welp that settles it. sheffy is the best skier on the mountain.

..... who likes to ski with his mouth open
    NTTAWWT

Attachment 423126
    It's been a few years since I posted a ski streak update, but this might be of interest...
    The day before yesterday, I finished my 359th straight month of downhill skiing. I once wondered if I'd ever have a chance to ski in the month of August heh. Tuesday I hiked to the top of Devil's Castle at Alta, clicked into my alpine bindings and answered my much younger self by skiing my thirtieth August in a row.
    28 days from now, on the Palmer Snowfield of Mt Hood in Oregon, 30 consecutive years of alpine skiing at least once every single month of every single year will be complete. Three decades of skiing non-stop.
    Yeeeehaaawwww!!
    Much Respect!

I may actually be more impressed that you have made it 30 years without any streak ending injuries…

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Priceless indeed -- both the various outings from which I culled the following pictures, and the mere concept of a telemarker mocking the downhill skiing abilities of a former NCAA alpine ski racing coach.

It definitely happened.

Name:	2022-06-14.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	426695

Name:	20160511_095409.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	609.3 KB 
ID:	426696

Name:	20160629_120003.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	875.3 KB 
ID:	426697

Name:	20161218_194006 me skiing Sunday morning - Copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	426698

Name:	image_1436107854.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	989.7 KB 
ID:	426699

Name:	image_1436111203.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	426700

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	742.4 KB 
ID:	426701
    I don't know. Looks like your arms are flailing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    welp that settles it. sheffy is the best skier on the mountain.
    Not if you come back East this winter!
    (Or at any of the skimo races I organize.)

NTTAWWT
    At a certain threshold on the FunOMeter, mouth-wide-open excitement is mandatory.

NTTAWWT
    Anyone who wants more air flow than their nose alone allows?
    Or wants to push their humid breath away from their glasses or goggles?