Banff/Jasper/LakeLouise - ride suggestions

I'm taking the family on a trip in a few weeks to the locations above. I'm trying to decide whether to bring gravel bikes and/or mountain bikes. I'm seeing a lot of potential for gravel/mellow singletrack but less for good mountain biking.

Is it worth bringing the mountain bikes on this trip? We'll have 3 kids in tow ages 6, 8 and 10. The 8 and 10yo can ride decent mountain bike trails and the 6yo will either be on his own bike (super mellow riding), the tag along, or the Mac Ride.

Thanks!

Seth

banff has some of both Gravel and Mnt.

Banff mnt: Tunnel trail loops. If I'm avail I can show you some "other" loops as well Topnotch and star wars and the other XC loops
    Upper/lower stoney. upper is steep uphill/old school Lower is mellower.

Gravel: the tour divide starts in banff so a few options: Spray/goat creek and high rockies (depending on how much you want to ride)
    I just did cascade fire road to 15km and back as a "bike slacking" overnight. was easy/fun

Lake Louise mnt bike: book shuttle to moraine lake, ride that back to tramline and up to lake louise, and out on Ross lake. Back on Ross lake or the great divide road, and back to where you parked.

Jasper: PM jetski. he knows that area best. I would suggest overland trail as an nice/easy to find option

Thanks Dave. We'll be staying at Tunnel Mountain campground

Maybe the better question is - is there enough good adult mountain biking in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper to warrant bringing the trail bikes? When riding with kids I think both of us could probably ride *most* of the stuff our kids will ride on our gravel bikes. We'd only bring the Trail bikes for a few solo rides each - just not sure whether the terrain warrants it.

Alternately could also bring an xc bike if terrain is more in between.

I'll reach out to jetski also. Thanks!

Seth

XC bike is the best bet really.

The rides in LL are amazing for the views. Riding is nice too, but the views are amazing.

What kind of riding do you normally do Seth?

Dave says XC bike, I say trail bike is the best bet...but I ride enduro so what do I know.

The kids will love Star Wars/Top Notch. For you in Banff, Stoney Squaw off Norquay is super fun but not long enough for a full ride. Canmore and area is so close and will open up so many options depending on what you like. I'll have to defer to Dave for Lousie riding and Jet for Jasper but everyone is saying how Jasper scene is growing so could be good.

Kids would like the Canmore Nordic Centre too. Swim at the quarry after.

Golden is 45 minutes from Louise and has so much good riding, trail -> enduro bike territory.

There is some fun mountain bike riding in Jasper. Either an XC or enduro/trail would be fine choices . There is also the best free bike park in Valemount BC about an hour and 15 away shuttle or xc riding available. There are some good gravel rides but they do need a shuttle to thevtrailhead where as with mountain biking you can leave from your door in town or at the town area campgrounds.

yeah that 5 lakes trail in jasper is pretty good for the entry level

Yup Valemont is pretty good, the brewery & cafe is good

and free camping down the side of the lake
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What is your final decision and when are you up this way?

I think I'll bring the trail bikes and one gravel bike between the wife and I.

Fernie - 8/22-8/24
    Banff - 8/24-8/28
    Jasper - 8/28-9/1
    Lake Louise - 9/1-9/4

I'll be checking back in here next week and planning some rides in those areas. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm guessing my schedule won't be my own but if anybody wants to try to do a ride during any of those dates let me know and I'll see what I can swing!

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I think I'll bring the trail bikes and one gravel bike between the wife and I.

Fernie - 8/22-8/24
    Banff - 8/24-8/28
    Jasper - 8/28-9/1
    Lake Louise - 9/1-9/4

I'll be checking back in here next week and planning some rides in those areas. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm guessing my schedule won't be my own but if anybody wants to try to do a ride during any of those dates let me know and I'll see what I can swing!

Seth

Just my opinion but I would think about cutting a couple days off Jasper and go to Golden..or take an extra day in Fernie, but I assume you've been there before. The drive from Louise to Athabasca Glacier is something else but from the Glacier to Jasper is nothing special and Jasper doesn't have 4-5 days to offer.

Trail bikes ALL DAY LONG...assuming you like to have fun

and if you are 4 days in jasper, do a day trip to Valemont when peak shuttles is operating.

Jasper is the only place we have never been. Thanks for the advice - we'll take all of that into consideration as we plan our activities! Leaving tomorrow. Can't wait!

send me a message with any questions? or if you want to ride in banff area, I might have time

I probably have time in Jasper and if you can drop the kids for the evening there is a friendly group ride Tuesday.

Back in LL for the final few days. What's better:

1. Gravel/Road ride on the Bow Valley Parkway (1A), or
    2. Great divide/Ross Lake loop?

If 2., Should I ride my gravel bike or Trail bike?

Good burgers in LL?

Seth

Lake Louise mnt bike: book shuttle to moraine lake, ride from moraine lake, back to tramline and up to lake louise, and out on Ross lake. Back on Ross lake or the great divide road, and back to where you parked.

Ross lake would be OK/challange on a gravel bike, but doable.

If you are riding road, I would go LL to bow summit and back.

Burgers: not sure, guessing The hostel, or the lake louise inn? Javalanch for coffee, Laggins for bakery.

Actually the Outpost Pub in the Post Hotel for burgers!!!

The Bow Valley Parkway ride is rad but unfortunately it runs better from Banff to Louise and back as you are losing elevation back to Banff along with the best downhills. Except for Morant's Curve, the section of the Parkway between Castle and Banff is more interesting/fun than Castle and Louise. However incorporating Louise to Moraine is awesome on the road bike...except for the 1 or 2km section from Louise Village to the Moraine turn off, fuck motorists are retarded.

Thanks gents. We have a shuttle to moraine tomorrow at 1 for a hike with the kiddos to Consolation lakes. I'm going to try to do Mntlions loop after.

Thanks for the food recommendations as well!

Seth

forgot obout the out post. Good call

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Lake Louise mnt bike: book shuttle to moraine lake, ride from moraine lake, back to tramline and up to lake louise, and out on Ross lake. Back on Ross lake or the great divide road, and back to where you parked.
    Great ride Dave, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Ross lake would be OK/challange on a gravel bike, but doable.
    Yep. After having ridden it I think it was better on the Rowl.