Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Microwaves were not even a thing back in the 50's and 60's for most kitchens. So older homes were wired for things like toasters, blenders, mixers, that were a thing back before the 70's in most homes. New homes should have both more outlets and more circuits for all the added items that people tend to have today. Same as electronics items in a family room or living area...
    Whoever built my current rental in roughly 2017 did a shit job...

Kitchen has plenty of outlets (and the microwave is on its own circuit), but half of the counter outlets are shared with the fridge. These have a habit of tripping a breaker far too often, especially if the compressor kicks on at the wrong time.

The other counter outlets and island outlets still regularly trip when the vitamix blender is running full speed (and I'm sure it would happen even more often if I ever used the blender while the dishwasher was running). Never once tripped a breaker in my old place.

Some of the lighting circuits seem oversubscribed too (and mixed with outlets)...previous tenant had incandescent or halogen bulbs in every fixture and we were getting nuisance trips. Replaced everything with LED and that's mostly been OK...

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Whoever built my current rental in roughly 2017 did a shit job...

Kitchen has plenty of outlets (and the microwave is on its own circuit), but half of the counter outlets are shared with the fridge. These have a habit of tripping a breaker far too often, especially if the compressor kicks on at the wrong time.

The other counter outlets and island outlets still regularly trip when the vitamix blender is running full speed (and I'm sure it would happen even more often if I ever used the blender while the dishwasher was running). Never once tripped a breaker in my old place.

Some of the lighting circuits seem oversubscribed too (and mixed with outlets)...previous tenant had incandescent or halogen bulbs in every fixture and we were getting nuisance trips. Replaced everything with LED and that's mostly been OK...
    Yes, that sounds like just a piss poor job and not thinking about splitting the circuits up enough or doing a few more circuits if needed. Are they 20 Amp or 15 Amp?? I'd think the fridge would be 20 Amp for sure (but I do not claim to be a high voltage expert either... and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express)

Yeah, that's amateur hour. The fridge gets its own branch circuit has been standard for decades. Same for the dishwasher. Lights and receptacles don't mix in main living areas unless you absolutely have to. It's not even about code; it's about common sense.

Maybe ya should actually pay a real electrician. Ya know, the guy/girl who went to school and worked as an apprentice journeymen for a long time before getting their masters license. Or you could just take advice from kooks on the interwebz and burn your house down.

When I remodeled my kitchen I had to pull 7 new circuits from the panel. Slab on grade, I had to cut open my wife's office floor upstairs to do it.

Hanging a micro over the stove seemed like such a good idea BUT in real life it gets in the way a little, smoke does not really get sucked up well so the fan does not really exhast as well as the cheap range hood did and the built-in light is anemic

so I think I will sell it on FB and get a hood that really sucks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm kinda surprised nobody has designed a microwave/hood unit that consists of a smaller, just "OK" microwave and a more legit hood. Or at least I have looked and haven't seen one.

I'm not a huge microwave user (especially since getting a flip down ninja air-fry/convection oven unit) and I never microwave anything large, but I don't think my wife would want to lose it and it is convenient sometimes... But I really wouldn't want to dedicate counter space to one.

If I could design one, it would consist of a small hotel-room sized microwave offset to one side, and all of the remaining free space dedicated to exhaust. Bigger actual "hood" that flares out, better blower, better lighting, etc.

I've also seen the rare mention of someone using an external remote blower with a microwave (void the warranty and rip out the internal fans I'd guess? Could probably use a relay to control the remote blower). I suppose that would work better than stock, but most microwaves just don't have a good shape for actually capturing anything even if you double or triple the CFM. No hood flanges and the ports are set all the way at the rear.

Wow. This thread escalated into serious cuntry

I have had blenders, refrigerators, microwaves, espresso machines and coffee makers, toaster ovens, table saws, chop saws, etc and I have never seen a 20A plug on any of them, even when the manufacturer specifies a 20A circuit. My 20A circuits don't have 20A style outlets either, which is not surprising given the history of the houses I have lived in--old and with multiple revisions by qualified and unqualified people. I would expect though that if code required 20A outlets on 20A circuits, UL or somebody would require 20A plugs on appliances rated for 20A circuits. My guess is that the reason 20A plugs aren't required is that 20A outets are relatively uncommon and the average consumer would refuse to buy an appliance they can't plug in to any socket.
    Last edited by old goat; 08-15-2022 at 06:34 PM.