Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 9 Years---Ouch

She’s obviously being used as a pawn, but I heard a clip from Joe Rogan the other day and he pointed out the following

WE have thousands of people in jail in THIS country on bullshit minor drug charges.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.sentence.org/doc/amlid/R...minal_Code.pdf

There were 2 charges:

Article 228.1. Illegal Making, Sale or Sending of Narcotic Drugs, PsychotropicSubstances or Analogues Thereof

Article 229.2 Stealing or Exportation of Narcotic Drugs or Psychotropic Substances

228.1....... 1.5 years
    229.2....... 8 years

final combined sentence is 9 years and a 1 million rubble fine.

I'm guessing a little is lost in translation.

Need more information.

To my loose reading, Russia is applying its laws in a consistent manner. But I'm not a Russian lawyer nor drug smuggler. The only thing unusual about the case and sentence is who it was applied to. Despite the mafioso at the top, Russia has a functioning bureaucratic state enforcing its laws.

Surely the sentence seems disproportionate to an American living in the age of decriminalization and legalization, but travel in another country is subject to that country's laws. Wtf is she bringing drugs to Russia for? Has Russia applied its laws inequitably?

Fuck Putin and all, but I'm not seeing the politics on his end.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    She’s obviously being used as a pawn, but I heard a clip from Joe Rogan the other day and he pointed out the following

WE have thousands of people in jail in THIS country on bullshit minor drug charges.

Someone with a clean history got 9 years w/o parole for a gram of weed in the last decade in the USA?

How about we arrest some top tier Russian athlete on a bogus weed charge and trade them for BG?? I'm good with Ovechkin hahahaha! Who else should we grab and offer up to Putin?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Need more information.

To my loose reading, Russia is applying its laws in a consistent manner. But I'm not a Russian lawyer nor drug smuggler. The only thing unusual about the case and sentence is who it was applied to. Despite the mafioso at the top, Russia has a functioning bureaucratic state enforcing its laws.

Surely the sentence seems disproportionate to an American living in the age of decriminalization and legalization, but travel in another country is subject to that country's laws. Wtf is she bringing drugs to Russia for? Has Russia applied its laws inequitably?

Fuck Putin and all, but I'm not seeing the politics on his end.
    In Russia an arrest is tantamount to a guilty verdict. Only 0.9% or less than one percent of cases end in an acquittal. The Russian legal system is a relic of the Soviet system where the cops, the prosecutors, and the judges all serve a system where a guilty verdict is 99.1% of the time a forgone conclusion. They all collude together to achieve a goal. Once the preordained outcome is achieved, the Kremlin can then step in and take full advantage of the situation.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 08-04-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    In Russia an arrest is tantamount to a guilty verdict, only 0.9% or less than one percent of cases end in an acquittal.
    So not a whole lot different than the US with our 93 percent conviction rate.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

the 2 Micheals were detained in brightly lit prison cels for 1000 days while the daughter of Hua wei founder detained cuz Canada had to due to extradition requests from the USA spent the time under house arrest in a 30 million$ Shanessy mansion

I seen a picture of the monitoring bracelet on her ankle and she was wearing $ 1000 designer pumps,

they should have stuffed her in a real prison

when her detainment was over the Michels were released at basicly the same time and they would have passed each other in the air over the Pacific
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Someone with a clean history got 9 years w/o parole for a gram of weed in the last decade in the USA?
    She didn’t get charged with minor charges though. Down in the south, someplace like Alabama? Someone might get near that if they got charged with production & dealing. Hell, there are people in jail her for possession on fabricated evidence. Most of that never gets attention

and she IS black
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If Putin wants an international arms trafficker, send him the guy that owns Daniel Defense.

Bout has served 10 of 25 and is do for release in about 7--nobody serves the full sentence. If he gets back to Russia he'll probably get killed for letting the FBI trick him into going to Thailand. Putin doesn't like dumb losers. Besides, the numbers in his little black book are probably worthless by now.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    She didn’t get charged with minor charges though. Down in the south, someplace like Alabama? Someone might get near that if they got charged with production & dealing.
    I have a hard time believing that someone with a clean conviction history, getting caught with a few vape cartridges, would get 9.5 years w/o parole, anywhere in the US.

Weren't/Aren't the unfair drug sentences mostly based on folks with criminal historys who then later got caught with small inconsequential amounts getting like 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    So not a whole lot different than the US with our 93 percent conviction rate.
    Many cases in America end in plea deals which is where the US number comes from. 90% of federal criminal cases end up with defendants pleading guilty to their alleged offenses while 8% of cases end up being dismissed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The other 2% of defendants take their cases to trial.

Russia has simplified court procedures or plea bargaining too but unlike in the US the sentencing and punishment doesn't change much. It's done either coercively or in exchange for informal extra prison benefits or from the defendants perspective to avoid the embarrassment of a trial in which the outcome is all but certain.

Planted maybe, but nobody in the fucking history of the world has ever "accidentally" packed illegal drugs when traveling to a foreign country. JHC

It's not mine! I'm holding it for a friend!

She made a foolish decision. She's an idiot. Although, it's a common mistake in Russia given most incarcerated women in Russia are there because of drug charges. The main thing is even if the arrest happened as a routine and apolitical violation, after that it quickly became something much bigger and much more political. Now, Brittney Griner is being held hostage in Russia.

She made a foolish decision. She's an idiot. Although, it's a common mistake in Russia given most incarcerated women in Russia are there because of drug charges. The main thing is even if the arrest happened as a routine and apolitical violation, after that it quickly became something much bigger and much more political. Now, Brittney Griner is being held hostage in Russia.
    I was under the impression that she has played several seasons over there.. And does anyone really think with that being the case she likely brought the THC regularly without issue? I do.. She wasn't keeping up with current events knowing that things could be different with a war brewing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Russia has a zero tolerance drug policy and she was arrested around the same time the Kremlin broke off negotiations with the West. Russia invaded Ukraine a week after her arrest. Nobody outside of Russia knows whether this started out as a routine drug arrest or if she was targeted by the Russian state, and a lot of people still don't believe Russia is at war against the West. But even though she unintentionally stumbled into this situation, it's not unprecedented. Russia has been using American citizens as hostages for years. Paul Whelan, Trevor Reed and Mark Vogel were also recently detained by the Russian government under sketchy circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I have a hard time believing that someone with a clean conviction history, getting caught with a few vape cartridges, would get 9.5 years w/o parole, anywhere in the US.
    What about illegally bringing it into the country? That would seem more serious than simple possession.

But I’m an American!

Russia has a selective zero tolerance drug policy
    FIFY...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

how any of us really know if she intentionally packed it or if it was planted is beyond me. Given the circumstances I think it's at least plausible that it was planted and that she was forced to confess under duress. So to all you dorks claiming she's getting what she deserves maybe you should rethink your position...no one actually knows the facts in this case...and the Russian legal system is about as corrupt as it gets.

If we're to believe the quantity of pot for which she has been thrown in jail, I would argue the punishment does not fit the crime.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Danno has it right. Russia has no, none, nada justice whatsoever. They are liars beyond even the Trump scale. Small things. Big things. Reality deniers. All of it self-serving.

Unless confirmed by independent or trusted sources - anything coming from Russia is to be treated with skepticism. You might as well be believing the kremlin's word about their political prisioners or Putin's political adversaries.

For sure, they wouldn't miss an opportunity to exploit a violation. And yes there's condemnation for acting cavalier, entitled or stoopid. Here's the big picture: fuck them. The regime is full of torturers, kidnappers, murders; they are actively working to undermine the US and commit atrocities in Ukraine. The notion that their laws or justice system should be respected is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    She didn’t get charged with minor charges though. Down in the south, someplace like Alabama? Someone might get near that if they got charged with production & dealing. Hell, there are people in jail her for possession on fabricated evidence. Most of that never gets attention
    Lets not forget about those pot smoking gun owners too....

Need to get them locked up as well.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Russia has a zero tolerance drug policy
    Except in the Olympics apparently.