Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need mtb ride ideas for WA

Got family to visit in Bham Aug 13, which means we have Aug 8-12 to explore WA a bit (in mt hood area now). Things are getting hot again next week, but maybe there’s some good riding zones in E Cascades up a little higher?

When I lived for years in Seattle my focus was mtneering, but this is an mtb trip in the van.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

What kind of riding are you most interested in, and what sort of bikes do you have in tow?

Need mtb ride ideas for WA

It’s raining right now in Squamish and the trails are fucking fantastic. Only two hours north of BHam and when your legs get tired you can get a ticket to Whistler bike park.

In another couple weeks the higher backcountry trails around Whistler should open up more (Top of the World, Into the Mystic upper)

You looking for Alpine backcountry epics? flow trails? Shuttle zones? bike park? pedal friendly DH trails? Jump lines? gravel grinds with great views?

Salmon La Sac and The Teanaway zones are both very sweet backcountry riding zones that worth looking into. So much stuff in WA. Hard to narrow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been bopping around the region for a bit now, and agree with the others: tell us what you like. I have road, gravel, and MTB with me and will leave WA with more of each that I'd like to do next time. Bellingham won't even rank as a highlight, TBH, but I'm not a jumper. Backcountry trails are my jam.

Right now I'm on the west side of the Olympic peninsula, and have spent a bunch of time here. It's a stateside, less crowded way to get some cooler weather and excellent trails.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Galbraith Mtn in Bham and Tiger Mtn outside Seattle.

I kept it ‘general Mtb’ to get a variety of ideas, since we have a week & are flexible. As a PNWer, I’ve done all the obvious and accessible stuff (eg Tiger) and once we get to Bellingham we will be riding Galbraith daily.

But it’s been a few years since I’ve been on a real road trip thru WA, and I’ve heard there’s been improvements in riding options. Eg I hear about riding near Leavenworth.

When we travel with Ripmo type bikes we throw on different tires and shocks as needed for the ride. 35 mile morning rides near Bend one day, lift served chunk the next, Post Canyon etc.

Thx Falcon, our PNW trips usually include riding in Squamish / Whistler & if we have time we will go there after Bellingham.

Check this. It expanded beyond the original title-shocking, I know. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=264762

Hood River Must Do Rides.

There is a lot of goodness between HR and Bham.

Shuttle North Mountain in Darrington for a day.
    Ride the 410 trails (palisades, ranger creek, suntop) for some backcountryish stuff near Rainier
    Similarly, ive heard lots of good stuff about the trails they built/refurbished for the transcascadia races in the dark divide area (strawberry ridge)
    Check out the peninsula. Lots of low key XC trails out there, plus you can get a few laps in at Dry Hill in Port Angeles which are my favorite sanctioned trails in the state.
    PAy $40 to Intrinsic Flow to shuttle you for the day on Chuckanut in Bellingham
    Drive across the border and ride squamish

thats my $0.02 for sanctioned stuff.

We just did a couple weeks in central Washington. If you want to stay on the quieter side of the Cascades, we had a fun couple rides in the Roslyn/ Teanaway zone. Free camping up in West Teanaway campground if you have your Discover pass.

Also did a fun loop at Leavenworth (something like 4 guys to Rosie Boa) with some local friends but it was HOT.

Up behind Cashmere we rode Devils Gulch out and back (to stay near the creek for dog water), but you could loop it with Mission Ridge easily.

Since we were in Winthrop for the blues festival, we rode a bunch there. Recommend Cutthroat Pass and Buck Mountain, Sun Mountain has some nice xc loops if you want a chill day; swim in Patterson Lake after riding.

Don't forget the bug spray this year!

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

^ great info, thx y’all. Id heard about that Strawberry Ridge option, thx for jogging my memory. I just got some addl beta on some newer trail options from a friend. I’ll just track the weather & go from there.

It's supposed to be 104F in Leavenworth next Monday (average high for that day is 82). If you are like me and hate hot weather, I would head to the north side of the Olympic Peninsula in search of cool weather. Rides that will be cooler when the rest of the state cooks is Port Gamble (Kitsap County), Big Quilcene (go early/late to avoid hikers), Dungeness River Gold Creek zone, Fort Townsend/Fort Worden/Miller Peninsula have small selection of tame rides, Port Angeles, Mt. Mueller. All of these trails will be significantly cooler temp than anything in the Cascades as they get cool marine breeze coming off the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I haven't ridden Seabrook on the open coast yet but that will be down right cold. Use windy to figure out where the cool air will be as it can be 100F in Olympia on the South end of the Puget Sound and 70F in Port Townsend on the other end.

In addition to trailforks, use wta.org (hiking site) for up to date trail condition reports (at least for the trails that are popular with hikers). Make sure you have a reservation on the Port Townsend/Whidbey ferry to get to Bellingham at the end of the week
    Last edited by altasnob; 08-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Just FYI, Quilcene and Dungeoness/Gold Creek are very worthwhile, but when I was there last week during the previous heat wave, it was quite hot. Port Angeles is indeed cooler. Don't miss the Zoo trails if you go there. Llama Lady and Vulture Ridge are works of art if you like slower tech.

FWIW a few new trails have gone in a Tiger in the last 1-2 years and are riding great if you pass through there. Atlas, Close Encounters, Extra Terrestrial, Side Hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Just FYI, Quilcene and Dungeoness/Gold Creek are very worthwhile, but when I was there last week during the previous heat wave, it was quite hot. Port Angeles is indeed cooler. Don't miss the Zoo trails if you go there. Llama Lady and Vulture Ridge are works of art if you like slower tech.
    I’d never heard of the zoo trails. Thanks for the rec. The peninsula seems like it has a lot of untapped potential.

Heat wave descending tomorrow in PDX, so we’re heading to Port Angeles tomorrow morning. #vancamp ideas welcomed if you have any. Heading to Squamish right after, figure we will hit some E WA rides if it cools off next week.

Appreciate the ideas from everyone.

Ping me if you are headed to the Methow Valley and I can point you in some different directions.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I know it's hot but if you do find yourself east of the cascade crest and want to explore on some light xc trail/gravel, check out the GRiT courses. The XL was pretty awesome, and all new to me exploration of the Teanaway area. I think the Dru Bru lot may be friendly to vanlife but validate.

Washington State Parks lets you select "notify me" where they will email you when a spot becomes available. Can't reserve within 24 hours. I've used this feature this summer to get spots that are normally booked solid like Fort Worden and Fort Townsend with just a few days notice. Use campflare for reservable federal campgrounds like Sol Duc and Fairholme (Heart of the Hills is first come first served). Both the County owned and the privately owned campgrounds at Salt Creek/Crescent Beach are nice. Lyre River DNR campground is nothing special but is free. Hobuck Beach on the reservation is far from mountain biking but awesome, as is La Push. Deer Park is one of the highest official campgrounds in the state but is small and often filled. I camp at the top of the Dungeness/Gold Creek trails as there are multiple epic hike (no bikes) options as well but it is a long pot holed road up there. Lots of random roads through national forests although read there's been recent break ins and cut gas lines at Slab Camp TH and Olympic Hot Springs Road (the local meth heads in the Peninsula are as gnarly as they come, they like to burn the vehicle after they loot it)

If you are itching to stretch your biking legs on your drive north from Oregon, the newish North Slope Trails at Capital Forest are more or less on route and worth a quick stop
    Last edited by altasnob; 08-07-2022 at 10:16 AM.

It should be a little cooler starting Wednesday 8/10 in the Wenatchee Valley. Early starts are key over here this time of year. You could spend a whole day exploring the trails up #2 Canyon west of Wenatchee. A nice loop ride is to ride the Mission Creek road up to the top of Devil’s Gulch or Mission Ridge trail outside Cashmere. You can extend it by starting at Sand Creek and using the Red Hill/Red Hill spur/Red Devil trails, a worthy 16 mile single track loop by itself btw. Pm for details.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It should be a little cooler starting Wednesday 8/10 in the Wenatchee Valley. Early starts are key over here this time of year. You could spend a whole day exploring the trails up #2 Canyon west of Wenatchee. A nice loop ride is to ride the Mission Creek road up to the top of Devil’s Gulch or Mission Ridge trail outside Cashmere. You can extend it by starting at Sand Creek and using the Red Hill/Red Hill spur/Red Devil trails, a worthy 16 mile single track loop by itself btw. Pm for details.
    If you prefer to ride up singletrack to riding up the road, Devil's Gulch is a reasonable climbing trail, 99% rideable. Lot's of water and shade as well. We did it as an out and back because it was hot and we had the dog, but down Mission Ridge would be a good loop. Would like to check out the Red Hill area as well, sounds nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    If you prefer to ride up singletrack to riding up the road, Devil's Gulch is a reasonable climbing trail, 99% rideable. Lot's of water and shade as well. We did it as an out and back because it was hot and we had the dog, but down Mission Ridge would be a good loop. Would like to check out the Red Hill area as well, sounds nice also.
    The old road past the washout is basically a single track in a lot of sections. It follows the creek most of the way, is well graded and mostly shaded.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    once we get to Bellingham we will be riding Galbraith daily.
    If you limit your riding to Galbraith while in Bham you will miss all of the best stuff. Just about every ridge line here has a trail on it.....

There is a lot of great riding around Leavenworth and Winthrop / Twisp, but those areas are best imop in spring / fall