Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Woodstock '99: Trainwreck

Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 is up on Netflix

Immediately after watching this I started reading about Michael Lang. He struck me as "in over his head" and "fake it 'til you make it" kind of personality whose initial "success" at Woodstock '69 allowed him slither out of accepting any responsibility for the mayhem that ensued at Woodstock '99.

Huge crowds make me eggy so this only affirms my desire to avoid them completely, whether it be a concert, a sporting event, or a demonstration. Just NFW I'm putting myself at risk of that much discomfort or potential violence.

Were any of you there? In your opinion what caused this carnage? The film cites greed and squarely lays the blame on the promoters. Agree or disagree?

Reading that HBO(max?) did the same kinda doc a couple years in a more concise manner. Regardless, I would watch on a lazy Sunday.
    And at this stage of life, fuck festivals. Much less multi day ones.

I didn’t go but went to many Korn concerts in the late 90’s. Definitely the most violent and fun mosh pits, more the whole crowd was thrashing in a circular motion and there were pockets of hardcore moshing within. Knees up, elbows out and keep moving to survive.

Now, put 250,000 of those people in 100 degree heat and charge $4 for a bottle of water for 3 days with no security and inadequate facilities, I’m surprised it wasn’t much worse.

Entertaining Netflix binge for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Operationally wasn’t Woodstock 69 a disaster? Farmers driving food, overwhelmed gates, mud, tech issues?

Multiple people I worked with back then went to ‘99 and had a good ish time by memory.

This quote from inside hook pretty much sums up my opinion of John Scher one of the promoters.

“There’s no question that a few incidents took place,” says Scher. “But if you go back in the records of the police and state police and stuff, we’re not talking about 100. Or even 50. We’re talking about 10. I am critical of the hundreds of women that were walking around with no clothes on, and expecting not to be touched. They shouldn’t have been touched, and I condemn it. But you know, I think that women that were running around naked, you know, are at least partially to blame for that.”

What an asshole. These guys have had charges brought against them.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I thought this doc was absolutely fascinating. As I watched I kept wondering why the whole thing failed to register with me at the time. Then I realized I'd just gotten married on July 17 that year and my wife and I were backpacking in the Wind Rivers on our honeymoon when this was going on. Crazy shit man!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Reading that HBO(max?) did the same kinda doc a couple years in a more concise manner. Regardless, I would watch on a lazy Sunday.
    And at this stage of life, fuck festivals. Much less multi day ones.
    Don't need more than HBO presented.
    More of a 93 fan myself.
    Blind Melon vs Limp Biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Don't need more than HBO presented.
    More of a 93 fan myself.
    Blind Melon vs Limp Biscuit
    Netflix version has more boobage. Worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Operationally wasn’t Woodstock 69 a disaster? Farmers driving food, overwhelmed gates, mud, tech issues?

Multiple people I worked with back then went to ‘99 and had a good ish time by memory.
    Did a capstone project on this exact topic. It was a literal mudpit, shithole, and heroin den. The movie made its legacy.
    swing your fucking sword.

Watched this last night, thought it was pretty good. Train wreck is the perfect title. Seemed a little one sided at times.

A few of my friends went to this and I was so close to going, can’t remember why I bailed at the last minute, probably job related, although i remember not really giving a shit about jobs when I was 21…

I do wonder how much of the headlining bands egged the crowd on as was portrayed in the doc. RHCP coming out with Fire for the encore was pretty nuts, especially after being asked to try and calm down the crowd, which was an impossible task either way.

Grateful I didn’t go for whatever reason. Definitely worth a watch though

Flipped it on last night, just wanted to check it out to see if it was worthwhile to watch later.
    Finished all 3 episodes. I couldn’t look away.
    That was quite the story.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    ...just wanted to check it out to see if it was worthwhile to watch later.
    Finished all 3 episodes. I couldn’t look away.
    DITTO

I liked the parts when I didn't have to listen to Limp Bizkit or Korn.
    swing your fucking sword.

Juggalos gotta Juggalo..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fuck. I completely missed this due to being buried on school. Total shithead promoters, terrible lineup for amping up a crowd, maximal greed.
    Mom appalled

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I had this comment in the Netflix thread:

“Train wreck - Woodstock 99”.

A must see. If you were in your 20’s or low 30’s in 99, it really hits home. I had flashbacks to being at Lallapaloza 92 in MN. I totally forgot him much of a shit show Woodstock 99 was.

This was a good idea and a complete F for planning and execution. An excellent documentary of the whole debacle.

When Korn starts it with that classic intro guitar riff…..look out.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Netflix version has more boobage. Worth a watch.

This was a bonus. I guess no internet really and really down in my own thing, I missed what a major shitshow this really was. When the frat boys took the wheel of metal without a full understanding, it was bound to get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    When the frat boys took the wheel of metal without a full understanding, it was bound to get out of control.
    That's a good way to put it. Just looking at that audience, all I could think was frat boy spring break partiers and the girls that go along. I have to admit I was somewhat impressed with those chicks who could hang in the pit. I tried to imagine my own 16 and 18 yo daughters in there. Scary, but OTOH I did plenty of shit in my youth that scared my parents (or would have if they'd known). Very sad about the reported rapes, but I'd bet most women had a blast, not withstanding boob squeezes while crowd surfing. I wonder what those topless girls think when they watch this. Probably damn I was hawt!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That's a good way to put it. Just looking at that audience, all I could think was frat boy spring break partiers and the girls that go along. I have to admit I was somewhat impressed with those chicks who could hang in the pit. I tried to imagine my own 16 and 18 yo daughters in there. Scary, but OTOH I did plenty of shit in my youth that scared my parents (or would have if they'd known). Very sad about the reported rapes, but I'd bet most women had a blast, not withstanding boob squeezes while crowd surfing. I wonder what those topless girls think when they watch this. Probably damn I was hawt!! Lol
    Saw Korn early on back in the day and it was just metalheads. Then when I saw them at Mile High, it was more like this WS crowd with abundant boobs and even a little bush off the top deck railing was a pretty different vibe. But, also, I was getting older and they were still younger. I was fine with it.

Yeah, but what about Lang's shorts? So sexy..... otherwise an entertaining watch having been at Live-Aid (USA) and Farm Aid in the 80's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Did the festival make any money? They sure pounded the drum of the promoters being greedy. But it seemed more like the vendors doing that. There was hardly anything on that perspective.
    At worst the OG promoters & staff were just completely clueless, trying to remake a moment in time; not understanding the people coming were completely different than their parents. Self absorbed, privileged children for sure.
    I wish the series provided more details on the injuries & assaults. They made it out like it was a war zone, but no facts or figures to back it up.
    Fred Durst is a complete asshole. Although the crowd's response to him was just amazing. It was like entire swarm of locust flowing to a single leader.

Fred Durst is a self absorbed dick. And a Putin supporter who lives halftime in Crimea.. although might be fleeing if he's currently there now..

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Fred Durst is a self absorbed dick. And a Putin supporter who lives halftime in Crimea.. although might be fleeing if he's currently there now..
    You serious Clark?

Jesus

I was disgusted enough by him that I looked up his wiki page and then caught that tidbit there.

"It's easy to point the finger and blame [us], but they hired us for what we do — and all we did is what we do. I would turn the finger and point it back to the people that hired us," said Durst, in reference to original Woodstock co-founder, Michael Lang.
    I agree with Fred. The people who put together the lineup were clueless about these bands and their audience. Go back and watch those old Limp Bizkit videos on MTV, they're fucking awesome IMO. Didn't like them much at the time but in retrospect I do. Also really like Wes Borland as a guitarist. Dude's a freak.