Thread: Socal kooks

Socal kooks

Visiting a friend in Huntington from 19th-23rd August. Staying right on the beach at Huntington.
    I'll have a vehicle and am very keen to surf lowers. Im thinking the monday might be the best day for that with the crowds etc (given its always crowded)
    Anywhere else I should go? I've surfed my whole life but not since November last year.
    No wetsuit, and probably unlikely to bring a board. Im looking to buy one down there maybe, but also looking for a rental, likely a forgiving shortboard. Im guessing i can rent for 4 days.

Also looking for good cheap food recommendations, especially authentic Mexican (might even head down to TJ for an evening for that) and fun places to drink.

Thanks all

have a 5 10 19 3/4 2 1/2 thruster from Boehne if you wanna borrow. Send pm to connect

Taco Mesa, el Toro bravo, bear flag
    Are my fav taco and burrito spots in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Idyllwild View Post
    have a 5 10 19 3/4 2 1/2 thruster from Boehne if you wanna borrow. Send pm to connect

Taco Mesa, el Toro bravo, bear flag
    Are my fav taco and burrito spots in the area.
    Awesome, board might be a little small for me having not surfed in nearly a year but will reach out for sure if it works out. Is that like 28L?
    Thanks for the mexican reccos too.

What do you guys all use for surf forecasting down there? Surfline looks like its completely locked down again with only two days.

Magic Seaweed, WavecastSoCal. No Need to go to TJ for good Mexican Food in SoCal. Its everywhere. Huntington has plenty of good shops to rent from.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Magic Seaweed, WavecastSoCal. No Need to go to TJ for good Mexican Food in SoCal. Its everywhere. Huntington has plenty of good shops to rent from.
    I was thinking as much for the experience as anything else but maybe its not worth it.
    hadnt heard of wavecastsocal but will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I'll have a vehicle and am very keen to surf lowers.
    Local knowledge may say different but Lowers is the one wave I now avoid, its just OWNED by all the kids and experts, tough to get a wave there. Uppers, Cottons, Barbs, no worries, competitive but responsible enough adult crowd. Maybe there's a bit of a window around 8am when locals go to work and before the kids wake up?

Love going to South of Nick's - Mexican (don't confuse it for the non-Mexican Nick's) in San Clemente even though its like the Earls of Mexican, their bottomless chips are awesome and the Buttercake, delicious.

You can surf Lowers and if its too much just walk up to Uppers right? Its all the same access I think?
    I grew up in gnarly crowds and normal am pretty good at getting waves, but having not surfed since November it might be trickier.

With the forecast, small south swell and light south winds, is there anywhere I should try and surf? Just surf early while the winds lightest?

Well had a great time down there. Got some fun little waves, spent way too much money, drank lots etc.
    Ended up just surfing HB pier which is fun enough.

Glad you had a good time. In spite of all you hear, Socal is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Glad you had a good time. In spite of all you hear, Socal is pretty cool
    I'd love to come down for a few months and work remote. Honestly just shocked at how nice all the locals were. And the girls. And the parties. And the amount of new boards. Maybe I should stay home before i bankrupt myself...