There will never be another Vin Scully...

Rest in peace GOAT broadcaster.

This is touched on in this years baseball thread but Vin is so much more than 2022 baseball

The man had a way with words, and silence, like no other. He could weave in a story about an opposing pitcher and his wife saving baby rabbits from a rattle snake while that pitcher from a hated rival was mowing down Dodgers. He was kind and soft spoken and old fashioned

He's the voice of the Dodgers so I am extremely biased but he is also the voice of my youth and adolescence in many sports.

Sure almost anyone alive at the time remembers "the Catch?!?" " they have 59 seconds left in the game...."
    edit NFL blocking all of these
    https://youtu.be/V5bBjbZ4lIs

He called the Masters from mid 70s through the mid 80s

Heres some PHX Open coverage he called
    mmm Natty Light

Baseball was his true forte though, just a master...
    He has so many great quotes
    Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day to day. [pause] Aren’t we all?
    On Glavine
    “He’s like a tailor; a little off here, a little off there and you’re done, take a seat.”
    Sure a few of you Mets & Red Sox fans remember:

Can you believe this game at Shea?!?

And likely his most famous and one of my most memorable

Look whos coming up..

SO lets remember the man who shaped so many of our memories.

Thanks for everything Vin

"May God give you for every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial."

Most iconic voice in the game. Never another, indeed.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Most iconic voice in the game. Never another, indeed.
    Moreso than A-rod?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Great post, Woodsy -

Thank you...

Thank you, Vin Scully !
    With love,

tj

A true gentleman and will be missed. RIP.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I guess all good things come to an end eventually. RIP.

So many incredible moments; enjoyed listening to the ones linked above.

Last night Scully's passing was announced toward the end of the Giants-Dodgers game. Usually afterwards the Giants TV and Radio broadcasters get together for a post-game rehash of what went down. Last night they just shared memories of Scully.

The whole thing is here...

https://www.knbr.com/postgamewrappodcast

Look for "8-02 Postgame Wrap: Dodgers 9 , Giants 5". (There's a 30 second commercial up front you can skip by moving in the timeline.)

The youngun' of the bunch at 46, Dave Flemming starts it out. Then Duane Kuiper, Mike Krukow, and Jon Miller just share memories.

Enjoy, and RIP Vin Scully.
    Last edited by fomofo; 08-03-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Nice post Woodsy. He was the GOAT for sure. He was Dodger, through and through, but he was so classy, so iconic, that even Giants fans loved him. RIP Vin.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

He called the Sandy Koufax perfect game, and invented the term "breaking ball." Wild. What an absolute legend.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Nice post Woodsy. He was the GOAT for sure. He was Dodger, through and through, but he was so classy, so iconic, that even Giants fans loved him. RIP Vin.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    It's a respectful rivalry, they showed him a lot of love at Oracle last night.
    Arty was there

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    It's a respectful rivalry, they showed him a lot of love at Oracle last night.
    Arty was there
    vin was a dodger fan but seemed to always respect the other team, their players, and the game. As a broadcaster, rare now. Even more rare now is what he described as “know when to shut up”. Rip vin

He loved life and people and baseball. It showed.

US commentators do feel the need to fill every second with words. Its maddening sometimes. Hope some learned a bit from Vin.

I was never a big baseball fan, but growing up in the LA area in the sixties one couldn't help but to listen to Vin on a regular basis. I could never imagine anybody else calling Dodger baseball, and in his later years when he didn't call all the games, a part of my childhood died. A bigger piece just went as well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    This is one of the few GOAT discussions where there's zero debate. Like you said, even us Giants fans loved him and that tells you all you need to know.

Read a crazy stat that Scully announced 4% of MLB games ever played, which is insane.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.