GPS watch recommendation?

Looking for a new (to me) GPS watch to replace my coros Apex. I used this a ton before I bought my Garmin edge 530 which I use for both riding, paddling and rafting.

Looking for something that has multi sport mode for skiing, hiking and can be a backup when I forget the edge. Maps would be a nice to have - not a requirement. Would prioritize long battery life.

I would keep and continur to wear the Apex but it seems my body has developed an allergic reaction to the plastic in the body. For this reason I'm not sure another Coros will work for me. :-( I otherwise have few complaints. Battery life is incredible.

Any suggestions? Anybody with a previous generation Fenix looking to unload for the latest and greatest?

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have a Suunto 7 i'm looking to sell if you are interested. Excellent condition and comes with 2 chargers.

If you want a rugged option that lasts forever, I love my garmin instinct solar. I only have to charge it every two weeks or so, and that's even with tracking most of my rides/workouts. I personally don't have the need for any of the touchscreen or color screen stuff, but if I did I know my wife likes her forerunner watch (it only last 3 days tops on battery though)

A fenix one generation out of date is a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    A fenix one generation out of date is a great option.
    Yeah, I have a Fenix pro and it works great. It has a map but is obviously really small. I use it for mtn biking, but if I really need a map the phone comes out. It works with golf too which wasn't a reason to buy, but a cool feature.

Love my Garmin Fenix. I started with a 3, then upgraded to a 5x.

Positives:
    Battery life is great, I charge maybe once a week and that usually includes 3-5 activities of 1-2 hrs duration plus all my normal use. The display colors are simple and subdued enough to not jump out as a smart watch. Very readable in a wide range of light scenarios. Interface is great. Everything is very customizable if that is important to you. One of my favorite features is quite simple, but you can have your notifications as audible or a vibration, including alarms. I find the vibration alarm much less jarring than an audible alarm. The data collecting/parsing app is quite good (both on the web and on the phone). Very easy to see all sorts of good info and share data with trip buddies. Also, it looks good enough and I find it useful enough that I haven't worn any of my nice automatic mechanical watches since getting the Fenix.

Less Positives:
    The screen on the 5x is good enough for the maps to be useful but just; it is small and the resolution is not as good as your modern iphone. The maps have saved me a couple times but I wouldn't want to have to use them all the time. The HRM is decent but not completely accurate. I would say it is relatively accurate and a great training tool, just not as good as a dedicated chest strap unit (which you can add if you like).

Overall I love the watch. You could likely buy one or two generations behind current to see if you like them and sellupgrade if you are super into it.
    Last edited by s1ammy; 08-02-2022 at 08:03 PM.

What kind of allergic reaction did you have to the Coros? I imagine most GPS watches are made from similar materials, do you know if Suunto and Garmin use different enough materials that you wouldn't have a reaction? It would probably make sense to buy from REI or Costco or somewhere with a good return policy.

I just went from my 5 year old FR235 to a base Fenix 7. I figured I liked the durability and reliability of the FR and was already in the Garmin ecosystem. And lots of enthusiastic reviews from both recreationists and pros I know of the Fenix series.

Pretty dang impressed. Nice screen. Lots of new features. Swim works great. I dig the ClimbPro addition to Trail Running. (I believe ClimbPro also works for BC skiing) Like being able to do most the the watch setup/customization from my phone which is way easier.

Personally, I find the maps a huge bonus compared to my old watch for trail running. I loaded up a course in an area I wasn't familiar with and went on a nice 12 mile run, never pulling out my phone for navigation purposes despite a bunch of turns. I could even see it being a fine little device for bike touring. Not sure whether maps will be much use in bc skiing as my course isn't as strictly planned on most of those adventures.

It helps that Garmin is the only one that had an easily accessible ProForm for me -- which made Fenix 7 similar in price to other top-end watches.

Thanks, all, for your recommendations. I did a little research on the fenix 6 vs 7 last night. I certainly use Climb Pro a bunch on my Edge 530 on the bike and really appreciate that feature. I can see how that would be great hiking or backcountry skiing.

As for the question about the allergic reaction - as I sit down to write about it I think it *might* be the silicone they use in some of the parts of the watch. The first time it was about 6 mos after I first got the watch and it was with the silicone watch band. I replaced it with a woven synthetic fiber and that seems to have fixed it. The second time I thought it was almost a radiation burn from the HR sensor but the third time makes me think it was something else. Most recently I bought a set of silicone "caps" that cover the charge port when on my wrist. That seems to have caused the problem again (and I'm wondering if this was the *real*culprit from the second time) and it's healing but taking it's time. I took the silicone charging cap off of the watch and wore the watch again but this time (fourth time) it seems to have come back. So. . . not entirely sure of the cause. When my wrist is back to normal I'll probably give it one more go before throwing in the towel. I've thoroughly washed the sterilized the watch so maybe I've gotten rid of whatever was causing the issue. . .

Anybody wanting to sell a Fenix 6?

I got a nice used Fenix 6S Pro on Ebay for $350.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Really love my Garmin Instinct Solar. The battery last 30ish days when not using GPS and will last about 30ish hours while using one of the tracking features.

It may not give you the map functions you are looking for though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums