Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

base layer: any converted from Capilene to Wool? and viceversa?

have always been using the zip-neck Capilene mid-weight (NOT the thermal weight). Due to the unbearable stink i was about to try something else, then i was gifted with the new Capilene with some odor-resistant tech, and it has been fantastic.
    I had tried wool for running and found myself soaked as never been with synthetic base layer. So i am not sure i understand the love for wool when ski-touring.
    Has there anyone who loved Capilene and now uses just wool?
    or has anyone done the opposite trip, moving from wool to capilene?
    or would you suggest some hybrid synthetic/wool?
    last: what wool weight would be comparable to Capilene mid-weight?
    thanks

You should check out the new-ish fishnet style wool baselayers that breathe much better than traditional wool, like these https://skimo.co/brynje-super-thermo-shirt

I've been using only merino wool for skiing for roughly 15 years. I use lightweight ~150 grams/sq meter wool if I'm doing anything active or it is warmish. I use 200 grams per meter if I'm doing active stuff in cold weather (colder than 20 degrees f) and I use 250 grams per meter for cold (less than 20 f) lift skiing.

Mid layers and outer layers matter too. I only want to be in very breathable mid layers if I'm touring. I prefer primaloft alpha. Unless it is absolutely nuking I don't want goretex outer layers if I'm active.

RE: your running comment- I am a massive fan of merino wool, but I very much dislike it for summer activities like running or biking. It is too warm for me.

Merino for lift served and plastic for touring. I sweat a lot when skinning uphill and the wool just holds that moisture, which then leads me to get cold during transitions.

There's a lot to be said for a lightweight long sleeve merino shirt paired with an unfaced alpha hoodie as a base and mid. Throw in a puffy or shell or whatever depending on conditions but that base plus mid combo saw a ton of use for me last winter in a wide range of conditions.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I switched from poly to merino a while ago.
    I like the 150 for warmer days or biking at less than 65F, but it wears out quickly, particularly in the elbows.

I guess I find that even if it gets soaked, it feels better than the poly stuff and still keeps me warm.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've used nothing but merino touring for the last fifteen years. Capilene and other synthetics work fine, but I find wool to be much more comfortable with a wider temperature range. I use 150 weight for most touring unless it's unusually cold, then up to 250. If I get soaked climbing, I stay warm and comfortable. The newer merino fabrics with 10 or 20 percent synthetic spun in in some fashion I find to be excellent with decreased drying time and little if any noticeable compromise regarding softness or stink.
    I like merino so much that I wear it all summer in light t shirts, boxer briefs and socks and I live in California. Unbeatable backpacking where no stink is a big plus. It's just so damn comfortable for me in all situations.

I have some Capilene Air which is a very open weave merino blend. I like it. Breaths well, probably as warm as thermal weight, comfortable, depending on the colorway is passable as decent looking shirt. Achilles heel would be durability and cost.

I switched this year. I love my merino from mons royale. I find myself in a merino t shirt and a bross hoody for about 90% of the time skinning unless it’s snowing. Then usually a merino t shirt and gore-tex or a light synthetic puffy. I always throw my long sleeve merino in and change if I need to at the top.

I love merino wool for sure. Synthetic for sweaty biking but merino in the winter. I have various weights, one is even 400 weight long sleeve -33 brand. For below zero wind howling days. Use nikwash wool wash and lay on drying rack

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I got 6 brands of merino and it all has holes in it cuz merino doesnt hold up but it also doesnt stink, if yer in a hut for a week the merino is nice but if you can get near a washing machine the plastic is fine IME

so if you are are riding lifts save yer money

also I don't think the merino is any warmer than the plastic baselayers

I just buy the merino t-shirts which are cheapest

edit: also my skin is too sensitive for anything more than 100 weight merino so a 100 weight T-shirt is the only merino I can wear
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-02-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Capilene for short runs; wool for everything else. The wool with small percentages of synthetic woven in (seems ubiquitous now) is very tough. I respect that everyone is different, but I spend a lot of time running and skinning. Many of the complaints about wool aren't specific to the product, but reflect the users' system. Pair wool with a Patagucci Houdini Air and it breathes and stays reasonably dry. Pair wool with goretex or heavy soft shell for the up and who knows?
    NB The hoods on wool baselayers have improved. Thinking of La Sportiva and Ortovox, but am sure the other companies are great too.
    NB2 Location and humidity will factor. I live in the high desert. Wool is king. Maybe in Seattle or 100% humidity New England it's not.
    NB3 Patagucci and Mountain Hardwear synthetic is almost indestructible. Have shirts approaching 30 years old and still going strong. Unlikely to get the duration out of wool even with impressive gains in strength.

If you're looking into Merino, check out this stuff, if you're interested, PM me and I can hit you with a code.
    www.point6.com
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

GF got me an icebreaker base layer for xmass and I am a convert now. I switched all my layers to wool. I stay warm across a big range of temps just in my base layer. I got zip up icebreaker hoodie to go on top of the base layer. Even when I get sweaty it feels way more comfortable and dries quickly. Doesn't stick like poly. Excellent slim fit and it can be taken on and off without feeling sticky.

I am actually thinking to get a white merino hooded sunshirt. Any ideas if it is a good idea?

remember that wearing white after labor day is terribly gauche

I also like that I only wash it every few times I ski. 3-4 day trips is usually fine

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    NB3 Patagucci and Mountain Hardwear synthetic is almost indestructible. Have shirts approaching 30 years old and still going strong.
    wonder how is the smell factor after 30y??

also, which is approximately the wool weight corresponding to midweight Capilene? 180? 220?

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    wonder how is the smell factor after 30y??

also, which is approximately the wool weight corresponding to midweight Capilene? 180? 220?
    It smells the same as brand new synthetics: out of the washer/dryer? Fine. 20 minutes into exercise? Terrible.
    Something like 180 would be midweight. Ortovox goes 120 to 230, I think.

BTW merino is great in the heat, I wore the 100 weight t-shirts in Cuba and Bali, which is why I don't think a material that thin is going to have any warmth value but its only important that you believe it will keep you warmer and you spend that money to keep those sheep sheared & those companies going

When my father found out Merino became a thing again he wanted them cuz he had wore merino T-shirts in Singapore post war and so we would buy them for B-day presents. When he passed I inherited 6 brands of merino all with holes from the extreme conditions he encountered watching TV in his condo

my last 2 pieces developed holes within < a year, a long sleeve smart wool with a hole where my watch band rubbed, an Ibex with a hole center & high the middle of my back so how the fuck did that ever get there ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-04-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    BTW merino is great in the heat, I wore the 100 weight t-shirts in Cuba and Bali, which is why I don't think a material that thin is going to have any warmth value but its only important that you believe it will keep you warmer and you spend that money to keep those sheep sheared & those companies going

When my father found out Merino became a thing again he wanted them cuz he had wore merino T-shirts in Singapore post war and so we would buy them for B-day presents. When he passed I inherited 6 brands of merino all with holes from the extreme conditions he encountered watching TV in his condo

my last 2 pieces developed holes within < a year, a long sleeve smart wool with a hole where my watch band rubbed, an Ibex with a hole center & high the middle of my back so how the fuck did that ever get there ?
    Brilliant first draft of a New Yorker short story. Nk. You should write this in full.
    My first Patagucci merino looked moth-bitten from regular use. Pretty flimsy. The new stuff with synthetic woven in is really great. Spendy but great.

i remember being in a hut with 10 well spoken/ very fit/ people with good enough jobs to pay for that hell-of-a-copter to get them up here & to buy very expensive ski equipment and thinking they are all wearing shirts with holes in them, they look like homeless people, wtf eh?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i remember being in a hut with 10 well spoken/ very fit/ people with good enough jobs to pay for that hell-of-a-copter to get them up here & to buy very expensive ski equipment and thinking they are all wearing shirts with holes in them, they look like homeless people, wtf eh?
    There are a few ways to spin the yarn, which makes a big difference whether it pits through our not.
    I have icebreaker, smartwool, trew, and point6. My trew and point6 stuff is bomber. 0 issues. I have 60 days of wear with my grey point6t and I had two stiches come out of the arm is all. Probably 40 with my read one and zero issues. the icebreaker ts I have all pitted through. every one. usually within about 25 wears.

Full disclosure I'm a brand ambassador. But I don't care enough to not rep a brand I don't believe in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

well its all gona get holes so I got past that years ago, so wear the thin base layer and cover it if one cares

And that hole in the very back/ middle ... they will only see when I'm gone

So at the end I think I'll try and am now thorn between these two which seem similar in therms of construction

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...ariationId=960

https://www.ortovox.com/it-en/shop/m...ion-zip-neck-m

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

base layer: any converted from Capilene to Wool? and viceversa?

Man, I can’t stand any kind of wool. You guys are weird.